Scummvm

martymcfly

After movies, this is what originally drew me to the gp2x, scummvm on the move!
Overall i am very impressed with the latest stable release, however i can't save in BASS at all which is a real bummer.
I was wondering if somebody could advise me before i make space for the broken sword games: do the cutscenes not work at all? Or is that still a work in progress. As well, do they run anywhere near as good as say for example Full Throttle?(which is amazing on gp2x!) Thanks for your time(id try the official gp2x scumm forum but it looks dead.)

martymcfly posted on Mar 19 2007 at 05:58 PM said:
After movies, this is what originally drew me to the gp2x, scummvm on the move!
Overall i am very impressed with the latest stable release, however i can't save in BASS at all which is a real bummer.
I was wondering if somebody could advise me before i make space for the broken sword games: do the cutscenes not work at all? Or is that still a work in progress. As well, do they run anywhere near as good as say for example Full Throttle?(which is amazing on gp2x!) Thanks for your time(id try the official gp2x scumm forum but it looks dead.)

Simple,

1: BASS and BS1 saves are broken in all releases (inc. the newest SVN one). BS2 saves ok. This is due to the way the Virtual Theatre engine builds metadata to manage the save files. Autosave works in both games. It is on my TODO list but I have never got around to just bottoming out the issue.

2: Full Throttle is a game that has a native resolution of 320*200 (or 240 depending on the version). This neatly maps onto the GP2X screen 1:1. Broken Sword on the other hand has a native resolution of 640*480 meaning the GP2X has to downscale each frame to fit the screen, while this is just about bearable for the main game cut scenes are unbearably slow. This is something I am working on and I have been looking at more suitable formats for cut scenes over the current MPEG2 or DXA options we have in ScummVM.

If you need that in more simple terms, BS1,2 and Feeble Files = Video cut scenes are a WIP.

3: Try posting on the official forum, it may be low traffic but you will notice that I tend to reply to posts quite quickly and as it is viewed by all the other ScummVM devs also it allows us to keep a much better track on things.

Oh, and BTW, ScummVM is NOT an emulator ;) it is a Virtual Machine, it runs the original games scripts 1:1 not that it really matters mind you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yeh sorry its just because its in the emulation folder on my gp2x.
I have been using scummvm on my pc since it was invented, well done converting it for gp2x.
Shame about broken sword but its cool to know you are working on it, they are my fav games.
So am i right in saying if i playin BASS, it will just save automatically?

martymcfly posted on Mar 20 2007 at 10:01 AM said:
Ah yeh sorry its just because its in the emulation folder on my gp2x.
I have been using scummvm on my pc since it was invented, well done converting it for gp2x.
Shame about broken sword but its cool to know you are working on it, they are my fav games.
So am i right in saying if i playin BASS, it will just save automatically?

No probs ;),

BS1 and 2 are still under active development and as far as the 640*480 games go they are the ones I see as being largely playable in the future. Without cut scenes BS2 is definitely playable (don’t forget there is the slightly slow 'zoom' feature that can be handy when playing the larger games.

If you play BASS it will save every 10 mins or so IIRC, I really should check the code.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah excellent, its good to know you have high hopes for these games in the future. To be honest, once i have them portable with cutscenes, my gp2x will be worth its weight in gold.(actually just alot of gold, coz gp2x is faily light haha)

Back