Sd Card Corrupted

daffy

My second SD card got corrupted.

I think it happened when the unit was asleep and the card got ejected.

This is going to happen when you carry the thing around. No way to avoid that.

The card was corrupted beyond recovery; I had to reformat it. Which was a bummer because I was on a trip and the card had the video I took to entertain myself.

Would formatting the card with a different file system help (it is FAT32)? I really need to be able to read and write said file system on my Mac.

Any other thoughts?

daffy said:
My second SD card got corrupted.

I think it happened when the unit was asleep and the card got ejected.

This is going to happen when you carry the thing around. No way to avoid that.

The card was corrupted beyond recovery; I had to reformat it. Which was a bummer because I was on a trip and the card had the video I took to entertain myself.

Would formatting the card with a different file system help (it is FAT32)? I really need to be able to read and write said file system on my Mac.

Any other thoughts?
1st: That hasnt happened to me. Dunno why. I carry my pandora always with me. I run the OS from the SD so it would be real bad if it ejected on its own.
2nd: You tried to recover it? There is software (propably available on any big OS) to check and fix FAT filesystems (dosfsck/scandisk/chkdisk...), tried? I've never had a FAT32 fs fucked up beoynd all recovery (on a failing HDD maybe, but not from a simple power loss/eject). Atleast cant remember a case. (And i have to note that "card was corrupted beyond recovery" sounds to me "my SD broke electrically, for good", then you say that you just created a new FS on it and all is dandy...)
3rd: Yeah its propably FAT32 if you dont know what it is. Its propably tougher than most people think, not that it doesnt sometimes fail upon improper eject/powerloss, but it mostly fails in ways that are fixable, so atleast known and checkable and nearly any OS can read. There is ext2, but from my memory that actually can be gotten into a pretty bad state (eg. one from which recovery is equivalent to a new fs) by many bad ejects and no fsck. Then there is ext3, but that will wear out your SD faster, OTOH it is very resistant to ejects/power losses. I dont know if Mac can read ext2/3 (I'd assume its possible, but dunno). I know nothing about Macs, so the next person can answer that :p

Last edited by a moderator:
MonkeyChops said:
My card corrupted shortly after the first time I used it, but after reformatting with the recommended Panasonic SD Formatter I have yet (months later) to have any problems.

[edit] btw here's the link to the original discussion (also listed in the tweaks thread)
http://www.gp32x.de...ittle-heads-up/
That's useful information, but:

- I don't routinely run a Windows box with a SD card reader -- for many users, this is a rather inconvenient requirement;
- This is surely a "bug" -- I've not had any of the many other cameras/N800 etc that I've used Fat32 cards with show any issues with them. It is odd that an N800, also running Linux, should not also require cards formatted with this particular program; and
- Surely FAT32 is FAT32. I'm sure I could use cards formatted on my Mac with any other Linux or Windows box.

I'm saying there is something wrong here. Is anyone trying to fix it?

>I'm saying there is something wrong here. Is anyone trying to fix it?

Here's a suggestion, If the sleep key also calls "sync"

As so
sync --help
Usage: sync [OPTION]
Force changed blocks to disk, update the super block.

--help display this help and exit
--version output version information and exit

Isn't that somewhere in /etc/pandora?
can also put it into crontab, every minute or whatever

dave

Did you have Hotfix #4 installed? This includes a fix for the way that SD cards are mounted that will reduce the chances of such corruption occurring. It definitely is a problem - most SD-using devices (cameras and so on) use FAT32, and force-sync, so that there's no chance of things messing things up - but Linux has to be configured to behave in a similar fashion, and this behaviour is only just being implemented in the Hotfixes ..

torpor said:
Did you have Hotfix #4 installed? This includes a fix for the way that SD cards are mounted that will reduce the chances of such corruption occurring. It definitely is a problem - most SD-using devices (cameras and so on) use FAT32, and force-sync, so that there's no chance of things messing things up - but Linux has to be configured to behave in a similar fashion, and this behaviour is only just being implemented in the Hotfixes ..

I have ED's 20100727 firmware, and I just lost the partition table on my FAT card. It now has no partitions. I was swapping cards in and out pretty fast, one was ext2, the other s all FAT.

Just wondering if i can run any of the partitioning tools on a dd copy of /dev/sdc - there wasn't anything important on the card, but it would be nice to test.

torpor said:
I think I was traveling when it came out.

I have it now. I'll be sure and holler if it happens again.

tsh said:
torpor said:

I have ED's 20100727 firmware, and I just lost the partition table on my FAT card. It now has no partitions. I was swapping cards in and out pretty fast, one was ext2, the other s all FAT.

Just wondering if i can run any of the partitioning tools on a dd copy of /dev/sdc - there wasn't anything important on the card, but it would be nice to test.

I got this problem yesterday too, the partition table of my card #1 corrupted, but the card still works on the Pandora, not on the desktop.
I think this happened when I changed cards while it was in sleep mode.

I didn't find fsck.vfat on the Pandora, maybe it can fix this?

Hitnrun said:
I think this happened when I changed cards while it was in sleep mode.
So maybe this means it does not have time to react to the card being changed, and data for the old card is written to the new one. Still doesn't explain why the partition table is the victim (unless it sees write, but no address)
Should be improved with HF4, which doesn not downclock for sleep.

Does this also happens with cards in slot 2 (the right side slot)?

If it only happens with Cards in slot1 then it might be related/similar to the issue in the other SDcard thread.

Maybe a write then updates sectors on the SD card it should not mess with...

My copying issues are not dependant on which slot. Also, I think my corrupted card was in slot2. I think this is a different issue, related to the time taken to recognise that cards have been removed/replaced.

Polossatik said:
Does this also happens with cards in slot 2 (the right side slot)?

If it only happens with Cards in slot1 then it might be related/similar to the issue in the other SDcard thread.
I've had cards corrupted in both slots.

The one in slot 2 could not be repaired and had to be reformatted.

Back