SD card for press Reviews

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Wired, Eurogamer et al. all want to review the Pandora.

Help us set up the perfect SD card for them to receive with it.

What should be on it, how should we set it up and how can we make it as simple and elegant as possible for them to use.

They want a piece of all the action so Games, Emulators and Apps... but they will have to be as close to 'just works' as we can make it. They won't want to be opening the terminal or editing text files...

Musicplayers,Deadbeef has issues.Maybe audacious or exaile.I like audacious.Picodrive works well and so does the gba emu.Something to show off the nubs,which are brilliant by the way.{just got mario 64 working}Amiga uae4all,for definite.Think maybe firefox is the best working browser,is it?Good that so many want to review it.Amiga games,stunt car racer,deliverance,project x the list goes on.Super streetfighter maybe picodrive so they can see how great the d-pad is. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
For applications put on Firefox, fenec, chrome, liferea, exaile, audacious ,and remmina. For homebrew put on pandora panic and panjoust. For emulators put on picodrive, mame, ginge, psx4all and mupen64plus. For conciencen sake set up the folders on the sd card . The folders for desktop and menu. Then have bookmarks for the file archive, the appstore , and the boards in the browsers.

How is Quake 3 running? That would be a good game to show off the nubs.

*cough* Panjoust demo? *cough* (i'll even make a more polished version? :p )

More likely, and still awesome: PandoraPanic!

Enough of my ego talking, small list of stuff i think should be there:

* Picodrive

* Ginge with payback demo pre-installed

* Battle for Wesnoth

* Some native 3d showoff, guess quake3 with shareware content would be nice?

* OpenTTD on the net

Edit: Can we include commercial games for the emu's as well? You'd have to buy a license of that game then though and ship it along. Not good sending pirated stuff to the press.

Is firefox the best browser then? Can we have some opinion on the various browsers? I'd like to get that right.

Also, yes, media players, list all pros and cons with your experiences.

I think the emulators should be easy to set up for them, I'm not sure about desktop/minimenu... what do you think we should default to?

For applications put on Firefox, fenec, chrome, liferea, exaile, audacious ,and remmina. For homebrew put on pandora panic and panjoust. For emulators put on picodrive, mame, ginge, psx4all and mupen64plus. For conciencen sake set up the folders on the sd card . The folders for desktop and menu. Then have bookmarks for the file archive, the appstore , and the boards in the browsers.
I think that's overkill on the browsers. Also Ginge for press review is a bit too much. It's hard enough for press people to understand one new system let alone learning the GP2X menu/SD card setup etc that goes along with using Ginge.

That SNES94D2P or whatever it is called is pretty sweet.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

I hope we can make the pandora this easy and comphrehensive to use in the future for techless heads like me and reviewers. :)

Yeah but all the browsers are different. firefox is slow but does everything( can't wait for firefox 4 which will be fast)chrome is fast but is missing features, and fenec has finger browsing.

Yeah definitely desktop. Don't forget to put some video files on there too.

Edit: spelling...

Is firefox the best browser then? Can we have some opinion on the various browsers? I'd like to get that right.

Well i mostly use Chromium. Seems good for most sites. But i still have problems on some sites and have to use the browser it shipped with. But that crashes sometimes if you click in a wrong spot (no not the X at the top :p ) and after it crashed near the end of a long post i was making, i stopped using it. Have not tried firefox yet.

Anyone think that we should get rid of arora and midori in the next hotfix and replace them with firefox, chrome or fenec?

Also make sure to update the pandora you send with the latest hotfix!

For emulated games, go for the classics that are likely to bring back good memories; e.g. Mario 64, Sonic, Street Fighter 2, Monkey Island. Depending on how reliably they're running at the moment and legals of course :p

Also Pandora Panic has to be there.

Yeah chrome has no http and it doesent like secure sites,G-mail etc.Firefox 3.6.5 works with g-mail but i had trouble launching from minimenu.Works fine from main os.is a bit slow though.

What Hotfix.Hotfix 3 disabled most of the touchscreen on minimenu for me, but the hotfix 4 beta restored it,weird.

Yeah but all the browsers are different. firefox is slow but does everything( can't wait for firefox 4 which will be fast)chrome is fast but is missing features, and fenec has finger browsing.
I don't really find myself firing up and using my Pandora to update websites with or send out resumes on the web. I think Craig has it right, looking for the best browser at the moment and throwing that on the SD card. The Pandora is a gaming device moreso than it is anything else. It does other things for sure, but it does gaming best. This is what the press wants what the Pandora does best.

Just my humble opinion here.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Back