Sd Card Has Corrupted

I formatted it with the Panasonic program too.

The look on my face. You do not want to see it.

:angry:

I tried doing the following command in Linux:

Code:
owner@linuxmint ~ $ sudo dosfsck -r -v -V /dev/sdb1
dosfsck 3.0.7 (24 Dec 2009)
dosfsck 3.0.7, 24 Dec 2009, FAT32, LFN
Currently, only 1 or 2 FATs are supported, not 35.

owner@linuxmint ~ $

FFS. :angry:

I've been using this card since 2008 (since I thought I was getting the Pandora) in Windows and Linux... and it corrupts now?

Sorry, i'm just completely stressed.

I'm not putting my other memory cards anywhere near this thing. I have too much data to lose.

Anyone have any ideas other than reformatting it?

EDIT: Somebody suggested the program TESTDISK, which tells me it has a bad boot sector. I'm seeing if it can fix it now.

EDIT: Backing up my home folder and gonna reinstall Zaxxon just incase.

TestDisk fixed it. The master boot record needed to be rebuilt.

:D

I'm staying well away from Mplayer for now!

For some reason that memory card still can't be accessed in stuff like Zenity, saying it's not mounted?

Fixed and happened again.

I think it's being caused by Zenity. I added a shortcut to my roms folder in the right of the file dialogue.

Would be weird. We've been using all kinds of different cards since months while developing the OS.
Most of the times it was a flaky SD card we used.

Are you trying to use NTFS on that card? That's pretty unstable. Use FAT32.

EvilDragon said:
Would be weird. We've been using all kinds of different cards since months while developing the OS.
Most of the times it was a flaky SD card we used.

Are you trying to use NTFS on that card? That's pretty unstable. Use FAT32.

No, as I reformatted it to FAT32 using the recommended Panasonic utility from the original NTFS.

Sorry ED, but it's definitely the Pandora doing this. I've been using this card for years with no problems. I think the problem was that I added a shortcut to my roms folder within the rom selector for snes9x4d4p.

Last edited by a moderator:
SomeGuy99 said:
I formatted it with the Panasonic program too.

The look on my face. You do not want to see it.

:angry:
So what is the exact problem your having with your sd card?

Give a detailed description! I've been having a few problems myself, but have found work arounds to my problems. I've had something work, and then 10 minutes later not. This was to be expected, as you can only fix bugs when someone reports the problem.

Sadly, there was only a handful of testers before hand, but now the community can report issues, and make the Pandora a better product over time.

Chris

I have the same problem here. I only got my Pandora yesterday and have already had to repartition/format/load the card. I haven`t tracked down the cause yet but here are some details;

I am using 2 16gb Kingston SDHC's.
The first sign of trouble seems to be when I load an emulator and when the rom selector comes up I cannot get to the car. It tells me it was unable to mount the card which was already mounted because it cannot find /dev/mmcblk...etc. When I close the dialog and rom chooser, I am able to get to these cards using the file manager. What gets really strange is what appears in my /media directory;

bob cf mmc1 mmcblk1p1 mmcblk2p1 net realroot
card hdd mmcblk0 mmcblk2 mmcblk3p1 ram union

All the extra mmc* mount points don't make sense. Here is what is in them;

pandora:/media$ ls mmc1
pandora:/media$ ls mmcblk0
ls: reading directory mmcblk0: Input/output error
pandora:/media$ ls mmcblk2
Eee Wallpapers lost+found pandora
pandora:/media$ ls mmcblk1p1/
? ? rraa rraa ?.ing ?.ing
pandora:/media$ ls mmcblk2p1/
pandora:/media$ ls mmcblk3p1/
Ebooks Emulator Roms Music Video pandora

The most interesting one is mmcblk2p1. It is corrupt. But now mmcblk3p1 exists and points to the card that used to be at mmcblk2p1. My best guess is that the card is dropping out and being remounted, or there is some software problem here.

Hope this helps. Love my Pandora!

It would be great if someone would make a tutorial how to check this weird dropping out and remounting. Others had problems finding files or reflashing, etc. This might all be related to the same bug, so we should post an easy way to test if the card is corrupted. This needs to be addressed quickly before important data gets lost somewhere, imo.

dflemstr said:
For those with Pandoras: is it using HAL (shudder) or just plain udev (ftw)?

hald is running but I think it is the file chooser (zenity library?) which is causing the problem.

I also have a similar Problem.
When trying to open roms with Snes9x and thus clicking on the name of the SD on the left
it (often) pops an error saying it can't open the SD (right now it's not so can't tell what exactly the message says)
but via "filesystem/media/mmcblk0p1" it allways works.

EDIT: using a 8GB microSDHC from my nokia 5800 (the panasonic tool said "hardware not supported" might be the card reader? )

Hm, I now tried EVERYTHING I could. Removing SD Cards while booting, removing them while writing to them, reinserting them, etc.
Nothing.

The only thing that happens is that they get a new mountpoint (as they are not cleanly unmounted) but I didn't manage to corrupt them.

Would be really great if we could narrow that down, as I can't find any way to corrupt my card... and I've been using it for four months on my prototype yet.

Regarding mountpoints:

/media/mmcblk0p1 = The main SD Card, partition 1.
/media/mmcblk1p1 = Second SD Card, partition 1.
/media/mmcblk0p2 = The main SD Card, partition 2.

etc.

Now if you remove a card and put it back in, it usually goes to /media/mmcblk2p1, as /media/mmcblk0p1 isn't properly unmounted (and therefore might show you some crap if you browse there).
Your card shouldn't be affected by this.
We are working on that increasing mountpoints, but it's not easy in Linux :)

The next time it happens I will look at dmesg. Thanks for looking into it though.

Canguy said:
The next time it happens I will look at dmesg. Thanks for looking into it though.

dmesg would really be helpful :)
Well, we're here alltogether to make the Pandora way better than it is - of course we want to fix such things :D

Last edited:
Canguy said:
dflemstr said:
For those with Pandoras: is it using HAL (shudder) or just plain udev (ftw)?

hald is running but I think it is the file chooser (zenity library?) which is causing the problem.

Its using udev I believe. At least that's what automounts my SDC.

I think the corruption is because the card is being written to when it CAN'T be written to. I had my card corrupt, but it was because it can't be touched by the user by default, umask 0022, or root only and everyone else can read and execute.

I edited:

/etc/udev/mount.sh

Under the automount section change:

if ! $MOUNT -t auto -o sync $DEVNAME "/media/$name"

to

if ! $MOUNT -t auto -o sync,umask=0000 $DEVNAME "/media/$name"

I haven't had a problem since. Plus it fixes a few of the other crashes with programs writing to the SD card. .pnd files write to the /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata directory so if it can't write, the changes are pending in memory, and when the SD card is removed, the corruption occurs.

That's my theory. I hope it helps someone at least.

Noisome

Back