Sd Card Question...

morrissey2k7

Website
Visit site
So, after a lot of soul searching, I decided to buy another GP2X... I know both The Wiz and Pandora are on the horizon, but I wanted something tried and true (I've owned two GP2X's in the past -- an F-100 and an F-200, both of which were sold because I needed money at the time, heh), and I managed to find a GP2X F-100 Value Pack on Consolesource.com (I was shocked that ANYONE still had any of them in stock after all this time!).

OK, on to my question: I previously had a 2GB SD card for my old GP2X units, but I'm thinking about stepping up to a 4GB. As long as the SD card is not SDHC, I can use it in my F-100 without having to patch the firmware, correct? As I recall, the last F-100 I had (also a Value Pack GP2X) had FW 3.0 on it right out of the box (I THINK).

The SD card in question that I have my eye on is a Transcend 4GB 133x card on Newegg.com -- it may not be 150x, but at $12.99 you can't beat the price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208411

If anyone has any experience with this card, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

From what I've read, the best F100 firmware to use is the Notaz fw2.x.x mod with SDHC support. Treat yourself to an 8GB, they're so cheap anyway!

Regarding the 4GB card you linked, check the comments on that page. More than one person seems to be saying that even though it's not SDHC, some non-SDHC devices were having trouble reading it.

I've found Sandisk cards pretty bulletproof. My 8GB is only a class 2 (ie, low speed), but it hasn't been an issue.

Gruso said:
From what I've read, the best F100 firmware to use is the Notaz fw2.x.x mod with SDHC support. Treat yourself to an 8GB, they're so cheap anyway!

Regarding the 4GB card you linked, check the comments on that page. More than one person seems to be saying that even though it's not SDHC, some non-SDHC devices were having trouble reading it.
Hmm, yes, I did see that it didn't work for some people, but on the other hand, it still has an overwhelming amount of positive ratings.

I just get so wary of doing anything firmware related... Knowing my luck the one time I try to flash the fw, I'll brick my unit, haha.

Well, if anyone knows a better 4GB SD (non-SDHC) card than this (that has been tested on F-100 fw 3.0), let me know (the less expensive, the better, heh).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back