Sd Card(s) To Ssd.

it takes up to 6 SD cards, and plugs into a standard SATA port.
The Pandora HAS two SD slots. This would be a fairly useless add on, even if it had a SATA port. If you need more cards, you can buy cheap SD-USB adapters, and install extra cards as external hard drives. Can you give a use case, because I'm having a lot of trouble imagining why this would be preferable to just carrying the SD cards and swapping them as needed.

$44 and up for a 16GB SDHC by the way: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

$3 for a USB reader: http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA2029.htm (although what the big difference is between 32 and 48GB all at once on a Pandora is beyond me, I am sure I could swap a 16gb card if I had too.)

Basically if you had a bunch of 1gb-4gb SD cards a 6 card reader (which would need to be USB 2.0, not SATA) could provide you with the ability to access them all.

Of course that would mean 4x6gb, which is 24GB, and you could just purchase a single 16gb card and save yourself the trouble.

Honestly, for $45 per 16gb, and with 2 SD slots I don't know if I have room to complain. The iPod Touch/iPhone charge you a hell of a lot more than that, and they aren't swappable, let alone SD supporting with dual slots.

The PSP is shot down hard this way too, $60 for 8GB Memstick, and only one slot :(. Poor Sony trying to foist their proprietary stuff down your throat. Kudos to Nintendo for keeping an open mind. (Ironically Sony allows you to format any HDD in its PS3, unlike Microsoft which charges $100 for a 20GB hard drive, this is bordering on insanity when a pair of SD cards with 50% more storage costs $90).

So the sad news is that a device like that won't work. The good news is that we don't need it :) :)

the cool thing with that gadget seems to be the high read/write speeds they get from using the 6 sdhc cards in RAID 0 (and large space).

that and the power consumption of the flash medium in comparison to that of a moving parts medium.

if you put the thing in a usb case for 2.5" sata drives it'd be really handy to use it as you would a harddrive for media files. since most portable gadget users probably are familiar with the drudgery of selecting what you want for the time being on your gadget what with the limited space and transfer rates...

so it would be cool to use such a thing with the pandora since a portable harddrive isn't all that feasible, portably, with its power consumption :/

moreover that thing is lots lighter and totally durable in comp. with a hdd :0 and it's probably slightly cheaper than an equivalent ssd atm and you've invested your mb/$ in something you can take apart into reusable sd cards and it's upgradable... so pretty cool indeed

seems like a good thing to strap on the bottom of your pandora :)

nubie said:
Poor Sony trying to foist their proprietary stuff down your throat.
Thats both a blessing and a curse. I'd sure be ripped if I couldn't use Sony memory with a Sony device. You know, unlike SD vs SDHC, they actually planned for the future with their specs. (The MemoryStick PRO easily exceeds SD's 4GB limit)

Last edited by a moderator:
AireTamStorm said:
You know, unlike SD vs SDHC, they actually planned for the future with their specs. (The MemoryStick PRO easily exceeds SD's 4GB limit)
Hmmm?

SD had a 4GB limit, SDHC has (currently) a 32GB limit, but the spec allows for much more.
MemoryStick had a 128 MB limit, Memory Stick Select had a 256 MB limit (with a manual switch to choose between 128MB banks), Memory Stick Pro is currently 16GB, but increasable to 32GB.

Hows that planned for the future? Seems worse to me.

Squidge said:
You're comparing SDHC to MemStick PRO. I was comparing PRO to SD. I can see, where you're coming from, though.

nim said:
the cool thing with that gadget seems to be the high read/write speeds they get from using the 6 sdhc cards in RAID 0 (and large space).

that and the power consumption of the flash medium in comparison to that of a moving parts medium.

if you put the thing in a usb case for 2.5" sata drives it'd be really handy to use it as you would a harddrive for media files. since most portable gadget users probably are familiar with the drudgery of selecting what you want for the time being on your gadget what with the limited space and transfer rates...

so it would be cool to use such a thing with the pandora since a portable harddrive isn't all that feasible, portably, with its power consumption :/

moreover that thing is lots lighter and totally durable in comp. with a hdd :0 and it's probably cheaper than an equivalent ssd (192gb.... $1000?) and you've invested your mb/$ in something you can take apart into reusable sd cards and it's upgradable... so pretty cool indeed
I would test the power consumption, for all you know it could be worse than a magnetic hard drive.

At least that is the conclusion that some independent sites are reaching on commercial SSD's vs Laptop drives. And could this actually be a higher quality or lower consumption than a commercial SSD?

It is totally cool, and I could run my desktop/server/internet browsing PC off it I suppose, I wonder if I could get my hands on it in the USA for a reasonable price with a decipherable manual.

I just don't think it is at all the sort of thing we need for the pandora. A 120GB-200GB external 2.5" drive and one or two 4gb-8gb on the SD slots would surely do it for me.

I think someone already made that:
Six port USB 2.0 hub and six cheap SD card readers. Or six flash drives if you want.
Unfortunately, that sounds really slow to me. I wonder if that thing can achieve decent speeds...

AireTamStorm said:
Squidge said:
You're comparing SDHC to MemStick PRO. I was comparing PRO to SD. I can see, where you're coming from, though.

Yes, it just seemed strange that you were comparing the latest version of one companies memory card with an earlier version of someone elses, which didn't make sense. It would be like comparing SDHC with the original Memory Stick.

nubie said:
I would test the power consumption, for all you know it could be worse than a magnetic hard drive.
At least that is the conclusion that some independent sites are reaching on commercial SSD's vs Laptop drives.
interesting :0

just found a real price for it in $ which was about 150.. not all that nice :/

jbr said:
I think someone already made that:
Six port USB 2.0 hub and six cheap SD card readers. Or six flash drives if you want.
Unfortunately, that sounds really slow to me. I wonder if that thing can achieve decent speeds...
if you did that you'd have to software raid those to make that solution similar to this thing (which is hardware raided).
and the speeds of this thing (what was it, 130/80 mbps?) exceed a wd raptor 10krpm 3.5" drive (atleast in read) so it's really fast.

but yeah.. would have to wait for this to be a sane alternative moneywise anyways.

The speed you can get from a USB is about 35 Mb/s. Whatever raid you use you just physically can't transfer more. That is why people use SATA and PATA. :pandora1: won't have any of these. The question is whether sd slots and sd controller used in :pandora1: are capable of 35 Mb/s (and maybe more). I hope the answer is positive, so no need to use external data storage devices to increase speed. There are CF cards on the market that claim more than 35 Mb/s of read speed. I guess same seedy SDHC cards will soon appear (if they haven't already).

Back