Sd Emu Starter Kit

spyloud

Still Fresh
A care package that a n00b can unzip onto an sd card with a readme tell them what BIOS they need. Just so that n00bs can start enjoying the wiz while learning more.

Ok, admittedly the console emus are straight forward. Copy the .GPE over and load. Got it. Scummvm, dosbox and ua4all. Not so easy. Would anyone be willing to configure an sd card (WITHOUT BIOS/GAMES) and sell to me?

spycloud said:
Ok, admittedly the console emus are straight forward. Copy the .GPE over and load. Got it. Scummvm, dosbox and ua4all. Not so easy. Would anyone be willing to configure an sd card (WITHOUT BIOS/GAMES) and sell to me?

Yeah, I'll sell you one for $99.99. ;) Seriously though, ask developers for help, don't resort to paying for something that is supposed to be free. You can get everything figured out with time.

Last edited by a moderator:
chickendung said:
spycloud said:

Yeah, I'll sell you one for $99.99. ;) Seriously though, ask developers for help, don't resort to paying for something that is supposed to be free. You can get everything figured out with time.

It was rhetorical-ish. ;) I'm figuring it out. I'm not a developer, but my contribution will be JUST THAT. A WizCare package. Unzip stick on a card and BOOM.

iprice said:
...it's bloody annoying...

I agree COMPLETELY. There's no directory structure standard for Emus. Each Emu want's it a different way. A GG emu wants the game in sd/games/gg while a gba emu want's it in the same directory as the exe. Basically the way I'm going to do it is the lowest common structure, and leverage emus that allow for browsing and saving.

Still waiting for Loom (game) to arrive so I can hammer Scummvm out.

I was speaking specifically about MAME ROMs there really. I've not had any problems with directories for any emus.

Although I suppose your point stands, seeing as there is an awful lot of confusion with regard to getting emulators and ROMs to work. Perhaps emulation is just one of those things that you either get or don't. Developers do however (myself included) sometimes expects/assumes that the person using their software already knows what to do with it, so can be pretty vague in their ReadMe/Instruction files.

There are indeed lessons to be learned.

I think a desktop environment should be up to that task. Something that is versatile enough to handle all the different configs. They are all different, but each has remained unchanged respectively. So, it stands to reason that a daemon can be created to service the laundry list of configs. Each game would require a pref entry, but once done once it could be shared with other environments.

I think Game Park has put it's toe in these murky waters. If the linux distro allowed for alternate desktop environments one that could handle game consoles & media players. Android comes to mind.

And incidletally there are emus on android that have the bios built-in and the copyright police haven't blinked. Could it be that the emus have just taken the big leap?

I just can't help but think that these copyrighted bios files could be redone so that the source not copyrighted but while satisfying whatever primitive services the emulator depends on.

Back