Sd Vs Usb?

arconreef

Still Fresh
Is there any reason I should get SDHC over a regular USB thumbdrive? From what I see SD is more expensive in higher capacities than USB. Plus I'd have to buy an adapter to plug SD into my copmuter er... computer. Why do I make that mistake so often? :blink:

So why do people consider SD to be superior to USB thumbdrives? Why should I get SD over thumbdrives? How might SD work better on/with the Pandora? :unsure:

Well, for one, if you chose SD, you wouldn't have anything sticking OUT of your Pandora, and it will be held much more securely in place.

-God Ginrai

It's because they're smaller in physical size. Thumb drives are great for carrying files around with you that you'll be using on PC(s), but not so much for handhelds (having something sticking out all the time == not fun).

plus in the uk you can pick up a 8gb SD card for £14 from somewhere like play.com. So just stick 2 of those in. Less than £30 spent and you have some serious storage space.

Well it looks like 8GB SDHC cards are down to just over $26 on NewEgg so really I don't see what the advantage of a big ass usb stick poking out of your handheld would be.

arconreef said:
Is there any reason I should get SDHC over a regular USB thumbdrive? From what I see SD is more expensive in higher capacities than USB.
SD always drops to match.

Plus I'd have to buy an adapter to plug SD into my copmuter er... computer. Why do I make that mistake so often? :blink:
http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA2029.htm the adapter is pretty sleek and only $3, no shipping, I have ordered 3 so far (not that one specifically, 2 for regular SD, and one for XD and SD).

So why do people consider SD to be superior to USB thumbdrives? Why should I get SD over thumbdrives? How might SD work better on/with the Pandora? :unsure:

Get two of the best price ratio SD cards, and a good price ratio USB. Or you might find that a pair of lower capacity SD is better priced than the USB adapter.

God Ginrai said:
Well, for one, if you chose SD, you wouldn't have anything sticking OUT of your Pandora, and it will be held much more securely in place.

-God Ginrai
He is right, not very secure way to play.

Kramy said:
SD cards probably consume less power, too.
True. USB sticks have voltage converters to 3.3v, so you waste a lot of energy.

The choice is ultimately up to you, since the Pandora has two slots there is the option of using twin lower capacity cards for a better deal, whereas there is only the one USB, unless you feel like adding another with a soldering iron, or carrying a USB 2.0 hub along with the stick.

How much are you seeing the USB sticks for? and the SD cards? what sizes are you looking at? 8GB, or 16GB?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, you don't need an adapter (I don't have one either, but I might get that one someone linked earlier). You can use the Pandora as your adapter!

Back