Sdhc Card Storage / Portability / Protection

Hah. "True" origami. Why does it matter whether there are cuts in a model? Origami is just paper-folding craft from Japan; excluding models with cuts and multiple pieces is a recent, arbitrary convention. Would you go through extra trouble to fold an alternative, much more difficult or possibly more fragile SD card case just to preserve the paper's shape?

Last edited by a moderator:
Given how cheap 16Gb cards are now (£17 for a Play.com one), I figure I'll just have a pair of them and no need for external storage. One filled with PS1 stuff, the other for all other emulators and any TV shows I'm currently watching. Bingo. :)

Scratch the origami thing, I'm making a duct-tape one.
I've had a mystical vision that shows a duct-tape-based holder that will work flawlessly.

If only I had a need for more than two SD cards..

edit: Of course, my SD cards are at home with my camera, so I won't be able to share the thrilling, exhilarating experience of duct-taping things together just yet.

Been watching the Pandora for over a year, had to register now.

'PoisonedV' said:
Do we have a thread going for SD card deals currently?
Newegg always has them for dirt cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820183211

8GB, class 6 (!) SDHC for $15.

'Tor' said:
One reason I stay away from anything smaller than normal SD (say, mini-SD, micro-SD, any other small format) is that I lose them immediately. They even get stuck in little folds in the pocket, and they'll fall out of a zipped wallet. Full-size SD is the optimal size as far as I'm concerned.
Yes, full size SD is preferable for multiple reasons. The other is cost. The 16GB SDHC cards are about half as cheap as the microSDHC cards.

typs lik dis said:
Hah. "True" origami. Why does it matter whether there are cuts in a model? Origami is just paper-folding craft from Japan; excluding models with cuts and multiple pieces is a recent, arbitrary convention. Would you go through extra trouble to fold an alternative, much more difficult or possibly more fragile SD card case just to preserve the paper's shape?
Yes, I would take the more difficult design. No, I wouldn't choose a more fragile design. However, that doesn't change the fact that if you do anything other than fold, it is not true origami.

-God Ginrai

Does anybody know of a casing that'll protect the SD card while in use?

Raz said:
Does anybody know of a casing that'll protect the SD card while in use?

I'm not entirely sure I get what you mean, here, Raz. :p As with a great many devices that use SD Cards, the cards won't stick out of the Pandora - they'll be protected by the machine itself.

(I mean, maybe you could stick some tape over the SD slots to stop the cards from being removed, maybe, but that strikes me as inconvenient. ;))

Haha.. I heard of these TopRam SDHC cards and they seem awesome. The only downside that has been mentioned many times in reviews is that the casing gets ruined, usually starting from the top-left corner. So I was pretty much asking for a casing to protect the casing

Raz said:
Haha.. I heard of these TopRam SDHC cards and they seem awesome. The only downside that has been mentioned many times in reviews is that the casing gets ruined, usually starting from the top-left corner. So I was pretty much asking for a casing to protect the casing
If the casing gets ruined, then you are looking at a cheaply made card. I would suggest going with some of the brands you can trust, like Panasonic, SanDisk, and Kingston.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Raz said:
If the casing gets ruined, then you are looking at a cheaply made card. I would suggest going with some of the brands you can trust, like Panasonic, SanDisk, and Kingston.

-God Ginrai

This brings back memories of a 16GB PNY card I bought last year. :( It literally imploded for no reason at all, and I'd barely used it (I can't say I recommend PNY cards personally :p YMMV). I still keep finding shards of it in the bag I keep my cased SD Cards in. <_< It didn't stand up nearly as well as the own-brand cards from Play.com (which feel pretty much the same as Kingston cards, plastic-wise).

Back