Sdhc Speed Class

Dave18

Hi

I've had a check of the Wiki and done a search of the forums but can not find anywhere that clearly states what the SDHC speed class of the Pandora will be.

I'm always keeping an eye out for any good offers on SDHC cards but don't want to pay the extra for a class 6 card if the Pandora will only run it as a Class 2 or 4.

Apologies if the answer to this has been made obvious through other comments, but I'd appreciate a definitive answer.

Thanks

Dave

Dave18 said:
Hi

I've had a check of the Wiki and done a search of the forums but can not find anywhere that clearly states what the SDHC speed class of the Pandora will be.

I'm always keeping an eye out for any good offers on SDHC cards but don't want to pay the extra for a class 6 card if the Pandora will only run it as a Class 2 or 4.

Apologies if the answer to this has been made obvious through other comments, but I'd appreciate a definitive answer.
Heh... Surprisingly, there's not much of a delta between the classes- prices from Fry's website :

Class 4: Kingston : $29.99
LG: $59.99
Class 6: PQI : $29.99
Patriot: $29.99
A-Data: $30.99 (Includes an "SDHC" reader- reader doesn't work with Linux for some reason...)
Lexar: $99.99

I've used all of them. A-Data's okay. Patriot's decent, as is PQI. Kingston, LG, and Lexar are going to be premium parts. If we can handle Class 6 operation, the Lexar card's going to be the hot one as it gives real HD speeds to things, the others vary a bit in performance, but do well enough for what we're looking for. As it stands, if you're tight on budget or can't find deals like these for yourself, I'd say go with the Class 4 parts as they'll be adequate if we do Class 4 or 6 and they'll not be too much overkill for a Class 2 capable slot. Otherwise, just go with the Class 6 and be done with it. It's not like you're not going to end up with devices elsewhere that'll use the things later on (I've got all kinds of SD and SDHC cards lying around my house from cameras, hand-helds, etc. ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
A test from one of the devs showed that the pandora handled 20mb/s with little overhead. The final access speed is likely going to be less then that. A class 4 has a min 4mb/s and class 6 has min 6mb/s. Technically there will be a difference (because pandora will handle more then 4mb/s) and the class 6 will be better.

When choosing the card make sure to look at benchmarks for read/write speeds and reviews for build quality etc.

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like it's worth investing in class 6 cards especially as a cheaper brand class 6 is less expensive than a premium brand class 4.

As long as it can play video and stream cd images for certain emulators without problem then that is all I need. :)

Back