Pandora SDK, Developer Tools, Documentation [updated]

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
I use openembedded, mostly. I followed the steps for the BeagleBoard here, I think. I say "I think" because it's been, what, 3 years since I first set it up, and I seem to remember the instructions disappearing and having to dig through wiki history when I tried to help someone else get it working. It looks like these are the correct instructions again.

After that, it's a simple matter of just using the built gcc cross compiler and libraries in all my make files.

I do most compiling using Freamon's tools, or sebt3's toolchain

CLI Love* [PND] includes:

- Full dev C/C++ tools [from freamons package] [for OP]

- Free Pascal Compiler [for OP]

- CC65 [for 8bit computers/consoles - develop for GameBoy / Atari 8bit / C64 / CPC / NES .. and more]

- YAB + GTK Server [for OP]

- TinyBasic [for OP]

- VMips [for example: PSX debugging..]

*can be obtained via Synthetic Package Manager for OP

Last edited:
Good stuff guys, keep it coming.

Also, don't forget to look here and tell me if anything should be removed (or if it just needs a note saying it's outdated and not recommended):

http://boards.openpa...-documentation/
I guess the two solutions by DJWillis are by now in fact outdated and basically not used anymore. In the Crosscompilation list I know that the first two entries (Cpasjuste and Hitnrun) are subsided by my Toolchain ( http://boards.openpa...andoraorg-ipks/ ). Besides the other main cross compilation source is the toolchain from Sebt3 (Yactfeau). I never heard of zx-81s Toolchain and heard about no update of it, so at least that latest and greatest tools/helper scripts are most likely not available (eg pnd_make.sh with PXML schema verification!). My guess is that these days there are mainly two resources as "official" toolchain which are the one from Sebt3 (based on an OpenEmbedded compiler and the pandora packages) as well as my toolchain (based on a sourcery toolchain (more recent compiler than OE) and the pandora packages).

As other important resource I'd name the PXML specs as available in the wiki: http://pandorawiki.o...L_specification

Please also don't forget to mention Notaz libSDL:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/6231-improved-sdl-for-pandora/page__hl__libsdl

And for many programs picklelauncher might be a nice tool, too:

http://www.pandorawiki.org/PickleLauncher

Last edited by a moderator:
I've installed both Sebt3's and Ivanovic's toolchains, but find the latter to be more suited to my somewhat noobish needs, it's much simpler to get up and running, but presumably much harder to add anything to without compiling from source.

I have, of course, also read the PXML specs.

I'd say for a beginner, it's very difficult to get up and running, but hours of persistence tend to pay off. One of the problems I'm having at the moment is getting the right Kernel source to build modules against for Zaxxon HF6 2.6.27.46-omap1... okay, that's probably not your typical beginnerish problem, but what's the deep end for if not diving in?

I'm not sure I qualify as a developer :D (yet?), but I'll add my voice to the Freamon camp. Brilliant, in the time-to-get-up-and-running stakes, even for a beginner - Plonk it on the card, open the terminal - Go! I still haven't gone ahead and started with x-forwarding and stuff, but even using only the pandora, I've been able to get several things up and running with just some minor tweaking. Thumb-developing on public transport :)

I use sebt3's toolchain mostly, but if I find the time, I will definitely have a look at Ivanovic's, as it is tempting to have a more recent compiler, that may output more optimized code.

using sebt3s virtual box image - love it :)

(but would even more love a native windows toolchain *looking at foxblock* ;) )

I use sebt3's toolchain mostly, but if I find the time, I will definitely have a look at Ivanovic's, as it is tempting to have a more recent compiler, that may output more optimized code.
using sebt3s virtual box image - love it :)

me too. :)

I have Codeblock installed (on Windows) from the GP2X days (thanks Pickle and Yaustar for this) where i have added, last year, a DJwillis toolchain, plus i use the sebt3 virtual box image for compiling and PND generation...very handy :)

If i could suggest one thing to sebt3 is update his toolchain or virtual image if possible.

I have Codeblock installed (on Windows) from the GP2X days (thanks Pickle and Yaustar for this)

Thats some old stuff ;-) Really its not hard to get the latest stuff running, that setup is really to make it easier to cross compile for GP2X and not really needed for just building for windows.

1. Get codeblocks and install (very simple)

2. Get the mingw package and install (also simple)

3. Get mingw/windows devel package for SDL and put somewhere

4. If mingw is actually in the default location codeblocks should detect it and auto setup. All that is needed is putting the SDL paths into the search directories.

Toolchain: Ivanovic's with a minor tweak to fix issues with libtool. Also use openembedded environment occasionally for building libs missing from firmware.

Editor: vim

Debugger: cgdb

To start a development session I run a script on the pandora to configure usb networking, start up dropbear (ssh server), and mount my projects directory on my laptop using sshfs.

I, too, use Ivanovic's toolchain on Linux, but lately mostly my own SDK build on Windows (maybe I should make some sort of guide on that as all existing toolchains are for Linux only...).

There is a really old thread on the gp32x forums, http://www.gp32x.de...ing-on-windows/

It's not a complete toolchain, but you get a working one if you follow Rockthesmurfs guide a few posts down.

It works on HF5 atleast.

Although a more recent, up-to-date guide or tool-chain would probably be greatly appreciated by all windows users.

Toolchain: codesourcery (See link above), lib's from DJWillis toolchain with some additional libs added. I also compile natively.

Editor: Code::blocks SVN7452

debugging: gdb(win), gdbserver(panda), valgrind (with alleyoop as frontend)

Other tools: putty (ssh, telnet, etc client), msys with mingw

It might also be worth mentioning profiling with gproof.

[Edit] rewording

Back