GP2X Sdl Language Bindings


earth

Still Fresh
Joined
Sep 24, 2005
Messages
5
I would like to develop for the GP2x, and I have a question about languages. There are many language bindings for SDL (http://www.libsdl.org/languages.php).
Can one code in any of those languages and then it will run on the GP2x?

I've coded an SDL game in eiffel for linux/windows/mac, and was wondering if I would just have to recompile the whole thing to get it working or if this is a lot of work.
 
I don't know for sure, but I would think that as long as you can cross-compile your code for Linux/ARM9 you should be ok. Interpreted languages may be SOL, though. That might be a bit much for this machine.
 
Ravnos posted on Sep 24 2005 at 04:55 PM said:
I don't know for sure, but I would think that as long as you can cross-compile your code for Linux/ARM9 you should be ok. Interpreted languages may be SOL, though. That might be a bit much for this machine.

Ok, then I'll try as soon as I get my GP2x :) And because Eiffel is translatet to C first, there shouldn't be a problem to compile it for ARM I hope.

@iignotus: What's wrong with Eiffel?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
earth posted on Sep 25 2005 at 09:25 AM said:
@iignotus: What's wrong with Eiffel?
​
Nothing, I would imagine -- I don't know eiffel. However, it's not popular or very widely supported (even though I think it can work with C libraries, no?), and you don't every day hear that someone programs in eiffel.

So why do you?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
iignotus posted on Sep 25 2005 at 03:45 PM said:
Nothing, I would imagine -- I don't know eiffel. However, it's not popular or very widely supported (even though I think it can work with C libraries, no?), and you don't every day hear that someone programs in eiffel.

So why do you?
​

Yes, the lack of popularity, support and good tools is the main problem of Eiffel in my opinion. But the language itself is rather nice I think. It's strictly object oriented, and was one of the first to have that I think. It's also quite easy to use, and if you use the language's concepts you will safe a lot of time debugging *g* (I'm doing a game in C++ as well, and spent quite some time hunting bugs that wouldn't have occured in Eiffel *g*).
But the main reason I used Eiffel for the game is because I had to :) We had to code a game in Eiffel for a course at the university.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top