GP2X Official Sdl Support For Gp2x

slouken

Still Fresh
I'm interested in officially adding GP2X support to SDL.

I just sent a message to paeryn regarding his excellent port and inviting him to merge his changes into the main SDL release at http://www.libsdl.org, and offered to have him listed as the official GP2X maintainer.

It would also be helpful to have a GP2X for testing and building releases. If the GP2X core development team is not interested in providing one, maybe someone who isn't using theirs anymore would like to donate one?

Anyway, cheers everybody!

-- Sam Lantinga (slouken@libsdl.org)

The SDL code is currently being maintained by the Open2x Project, perhaps you would get more attention by writing to their mailing list.

edit: BTW, the purgatory group means that the forum software thinks you might be a robot. A moderator will fix that soon :)

If you dislike c, the JEDI sdl project supposedly has GP2x support. I've yet to see something coded with it though. In the mean time, FPC with arm-linux will compile Delphi SDL stuff for GP2x by simply adding two lines.

Hi Sam,

An honour to see you here. I'll try and summarise where i 'think' we are with the SDL port :).

We (that is the Open2x project that includes paeryn) maintain the GP2X SDL backend. Paeryn did the bulk of the excellent initial backend hardware acceleration work after I got 1.2.9 working on the GP2X, he also did the work to split it off into its own backend rather then a being a bastard of FBCON. That said I have not spoken to paeryn recently (he seems to have gone AWOL as far as getting a chance to respond to mails and has not touched SVN in ages) so I can't honestly say what interest he has, I hope he is just busy with other stuff. Open2x is still actively maintaining and developing what we have in our SVN so things are still moving on.

With that in mind I recently upgraded the GP2X codebase up to SDL 1.2.11 (from 1.2.9, not had a chance to do 1.2.12 yet) and did a few small cleanups to make the code a little less 'soup' like and more 'mainline'able in the process. Paeryn and myself talked about the prospect of aiming for a mainline acceptable backend when he started hacking about on it and most of the implementation aims for that (might not be quite there, input and key mapping is horrid for example ;)).

We are also working on a number of extra things. Hardware YUY2 overlay support went in recently for example (thanks to Matt_O) and I have been working on getting the hardware and SDL to play nice with YV12 overlays.

As for getting a GP2X to you, I am sure some of the key suppliers will help you out (don't bother with GamePark Holdings, they have very little interest in the product outside shipping boxes).

You may also consider a post to Open2x-devel (linked off the site) as I am sure we would all welcome the opportunity to make the port official. That said, I will point people to this thread and the only SVN activity on SDL is from paeryn and myself.

Hello Slouken, I'll email you later, but as long as it's okay with everyone else I'd be happy to take you up on your offer.

DJWillis: Sorry for not being very active of late - yes I've been a bit distracted with RealLife™, but I'm all up for getting back into some serious late-night coding soon, I've really missed not having the energy to sit down and work on it.

paeryn said:
DJWillis: Sorry for not being very active of late - yes I've been a bit distracted with RealLife™, but I'm all up for getting back into some serious late-night coding soon, I've really missed not having the energy to sit down and work on it.
Hiya,

Really good to hear from you :), I was starting to get a tinge of worry ;).
Drop me a mail when you get a chance and we can catch up.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
mfk said:
Good to see more developers interested in GP2X.

We can donate a GP2X to SDL Project. Please contact me if you are interested in. B)
Nice to see all the interest! I've sent you my shipping address so you can send one. Thanks!

DJWillis, paeryn contacted me about merging the port into SDL mainline, so you guys will be coordinating, I'm sure. :)

Cheers!
--Sam

synkro said:
If you don't have a gp2x yet, we can sollect some dantions for one...
mfk offered to cover the cost of one, but I'm not sure where to find a retailer in the US. I'd actually rather pick up a used one that somebody's done with, than put him out a fair bit of change.

Thanks though!

slouken said:
synkro said:
If you don't have a gp2x yet, we can sollect some dantions for one...
mfk offered to cover the cost of one, but I'm not sure where to find a retailer in the US. I'd actually rather pick up a used one that somebody's done with, than put him out a fair bit of change.

Thanks though!

probably won't have to wait long for that, what with the f200's coming out.

Back