SEGA Dreamcast 2

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
Please watch the 2 vids below.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/aqvsjhqYeOk?feature=oembed

If this ends up to being true then I'd definitely opt for a Dreamcast 2 instead of Wii U, since there are also rumours that Wii U will launch sometime at the end of 2012...but then again that's AGES away. Long wait. <_<

I hope the world doesn't end by October, this year. :(

????????

Last edited by a moderator:
sega is having a hard time surviving as a publisher, theyre in no position to invest into new hardware, its about as dream-worthy as Rare making a quality game on a nintendo console

Yeah, I thought about that as well...and I'm wondering if SEGA would have Dreamcast only/exclusives for Dreamcast 2 and since they're a multi-platform video game developer, how would this work?

Are they going to stop being a multiplatform video game developer?

Also, backward compatibility (Dreamcast 1 and SS) would be nice too...A man can dream...

sega is having a hard time surviving as a publisher, theyre in no position to invest into new hardware, its about as dream-worthy as Rare making a quality game on a nintendo console

I was going to say basically the same thing, although it would be neat I don't see Sega ever getting in the hardware scene again.

For Sega to reenter the market, they would have to do something amazing. They would have to have something no one else does, repair the damage they caused with Saturn and 3rd party support which ultimately caused the early death of the Dreamcast. SO question is, what could they do to really set themselves apart? As for now they can just take their game lineup and release it on hardware other manufacturers take the risk on.

Fiscally speaking, it's probably not in their best interest to come out with a new console. Now with the power of machines these days and emulation abilities. If they could come out with a system that could support and game they ever sold before on their consoles, (have cartridge ports MS,MD,GG and ability to play all disc formats, SegaCD/32xCD/Saturn/Dreamcast) plus new games, that could at least be different. Used games stores would thank them! But even that would be considered kinda stupid by most people's expectations.

So what could they do? Wii U has taken the VMU to the next level, so they can't do that now. Unless they did some sort of 3D glasses or VR thing?

For Sega to reenter the market, they would have to do something amazing. They would have to have something no one else does, repair the damage they caused with Saturn and 3rd party support which ultimately caused the early death of the Dreamcast. SO question is, what could they do to really set themselves apart? As for now they can just take their game lineup and release it on hardware other manufacturers take the risk on.

Fiscally speaking, it's probably not in their best interest to come out with a new console. Now with the power of machines these days and emulation abilities. If they could come out with a system that could support and game they ever sold before on their consoles, (have cartridge ports MS,MD,GG and ability to play all disc formats, SegaCD/32xCD/Saturn/Dreamcast) plus new games, that could at least be different. Used games stores would thank them! But even that would be considered kinda stupid by most people's expectations.

So what could they do? Wii U has taken the VMU to the next level, so they can't do that now. Unless they did some sort of 3D glasses or VR thing?

Maybe if they did an open source console with the handheld VMU thing doubling as a controller doubling as a console?

Well, they did launch a cheap Wii knock-off console last year. http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/02/sega-zone-the-genesis-with-a-wiimote-nobody-asked-for/

I'm not sure what the whole story is behind this but the same console was sold here in a chain of pharmacies, only not with the Sega name on it. Maybe they bought the rights to it and slapped a Sega logo on it, IDK. But when I saw it marketed as a Sega console the first thing that came to mind was that they were possibly testing the waters for a future endeavor back into the hardware market.

They were in direct competition with Nintendo for years and after seeing how well the Wii did it might have got them thinking. Here's hoping anyway, the Dreamcast was an awsome console!

I am a Sega nut, I adored the Dreamcast as my favorite ever console, they haven't done very well in the console market (software or hardware) for a while but the arcades they are still doing pretty good, so something based on the Ring processors would make sense.

Roll on Sonic Adventure and Shenmue 3... please.

I'd LOVE to see a new Sega but don't think its very likely. Mind you, Playstation reeling from the bad publicity surrounding the recent network hacks may give them the room they need to elbow their way back in....

Whether they can do it without going bust I dunno..

Yeah, keep in mind that they tossed out their hardware staff, got rid of their factories, etc. They don't have the infrastructure, and they're not exactly EA when it comes to software sales..

I get this feeling a casual console as a competitor will probably be a shot in the leg, not that making a console in general won't be if sega is indeed in finencial problems as said.

Even though, sega used to hide their stuff when developing hardware before (the saturn was a secret during it's development), so just maybe they have something up their sleve that will have a good chance in the console market nowadays.

Anyway as hopeless at it sounds, DNF just came out, dispite everything. It is said to be avarage by modern standarts but still being the good old 90's duke.

So maybe there's still some hope for the dreamcast as well..

Back