Self Powered 8Inch Screen

berichandcreamy

Still Fresh
Only works with TV out cable
$249
2.0 lbs
4,500 mAh Battery with usb ports to charge devices.

Oh and there's an attached useless keyboard =P unless drivers could be made somehow.

REDFLY_C8N.png

http://www.celiocorp.com/companion

I don't think it's worth it without the a functional keyboard. Any comparable products out there? I do have a roll up key board I could carry around but what kind of self powered screen can I get?

ehh not really worth it, just get a laptop =P
eeepc maybe

Yeah most tech websites wonder how this company exists in the era of the netbook. No other self powered screens I can find out there. Thinking self powered so I'm not sapping juice from the Pandora's USB.

(I'm really just procrastinating on hw by wondering what kind of devices I can connect to a Pandora lol)

richandcreamy said:
Yeah most tech websites wonder how this company exists in the era of the netbook. No other self powered screens I can find out there. Thinking self powered so I'm not sapping juice from the Pandora's USB.

I actually like my RedFly, not that it gets that much use for what it was made for (I have several other devices such as my HTC Shift that fit that portable comms niche better) but it offers some interesting hacking potential :ph34r: (if you are so inclined) and is a nice way to add a pseudo USB host to a Windows Mobile device ;) . You will be supprised what you can get this device doing over bluetooth or it's own 'bastard' USB OTG setup ;) .

Plus, it's about the same size as a big external battery pack and, funnily enough, that is what is gets used for quite often. I can easilly use it's internal battery to get 2+ full charges into my phone via a USB lead :) . If I am away from power I just charge up the RedFly and chuck it in my bag safe in the knowlage that I have plenty of USB charge on tap. Ok, I'll agree it's not quite what it was sold for but who cares :) .

That said, it's nothing like the Pandora, not even close. It's much more a 'dumb terminal' for Windows Mobile devices (and it does that quite well). Ok, inside the hardware is a little more than 'dumb' but still.

Last edited by a moderator:
DJWillis said:
That said, it's nothing like the Pandora, not even close. It's much more a 'dumb terminal' for Windows Mobile devices (and it does that quite well). Ok, inside the hardware is a little more than 'dumb' but still.

I don't think he was comparing it to the Pandora. I think he wanted to use it as a larger screen (and possibly a keyboard) for the Pandora.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
@DJWillis

When you get a Pandora can you see if there's a way to get the key board recognized? Having it as a external battery would be cool. It's not the 18,000mah monster that was posted here earlier but it comes with a screen.

SO, if the keyboard works I'd be all over this mofo =D

Call me a dirty naysayer, but ~£180 seems like a big spend to turn the Pandora into, basically, a netbook... why not, you know, just buy a netbook instead? God knows, a bit of WiFi and VNC goodness will allow it to act as a self-powered screen and keyboard for the Pandora anyway. And it will almost certainly power the Pandora over USB for a limited amount of time.

Sure, it'll be slightly heavier and bulkier, perhaps, but no self respecting geek would let little things like that get in the way of carrying an absurd amount of hardware.

My roomates all have netbooks... I just want to be different =P

Yeah I can't defend myself anymore than that really LOL

The Touchbook is kind of a combination of the 2... Pandora and netbook-typed screen.
It would seem that you lose the community and some portability though, just an option.

Back