Sell Replacement Parts Please!

idjit626

It would be nice if we could buy replacement parts right from CraigX and not wait for some 3rd party manufacturer to make a inferior part that we have no choice but to buy. Because that big LCD is sure to get cracked, not because of bad design, but because they always do. ^_^

None of my LCDs ever broke ^_^

I know someone who accidentally sat on one though, that didn't turn out any pretty.

Good thing it's a clamshell, that alone ought to take care of more than 90% of cracking accidents :)

Just buy two, then you have a spare part of everything, and no administrative nightmare for Craigix :)

No need to worry! The Archos 605 uses the same screen. Now there used to be a place that sold them, but not anymore. However... This is one of the few situations where the Pandora benefits from a stupid copy protections scheme! Every Archos 605 hard drive is locked to the player it came in, so it is impossible to replace or fix. What does that mean? It means we can buy broken ones for under $150! And while you cannot replace the hard drive in the Archos, you are able to make it into a general purpose 1.8" usb hard drive! So when you buy a broken archos, you get a new screen, and/or a 160gb mini hard drive! Pretty good deal, if you ask me. ;)

Viking said:
Because that big LCD is sure to get cracked, not because of bad design, but because they always do. ^_^
Only if someone's not careful with their things. ;) I've *never* had an LCD break. Ever.

Anyway, as others have said, there's little point worrying over replacement parts now anyway. :p (I think palmertech's excellent post offers a good solution, anyway, assuming that the screen is the exact same part, and not altered in any way.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Craigix has stated that it uses the same screen, I do not see why they would change it any bit. And Viking, you need to be more careful if you are that good at cracking LCDs! :p I would like a replacement available so that when after 5 years my screen has little scratches all over it, I can replace it to mint condition. According to a few MP3 player forums, the Archos 605 screen has a anti-glare layer, like on old laptops. There are many guides on how to remove them to give better color and brightness, as well as eliminating all the sctratches that have slowly built up! Only works once, though, so use this method wisely. ;)

It would be pretty neat if CraigIX and co. sold replacement LCDs. I could have a swappable pair of Pandora lids, one with a solar panel and one without.

Why not just list part numbers and vendors, then just let people buy the parts themselves from somewhere like Digi-key?

atomicthumbs said:
It would be pretty neat if CraigIX and co. sold replacement LCDs. I could have a swappable pair of Pandora lids, one with a solar panel and one without.
solar panel? hope you are joking, lol

like sitting in direct sunlight whilst playing video games much?

aside from the annoyance/hassle of sitting in direct sunlight, while trying to play video games... but i dont imagine that would be very good for the longevity of the pandora's battery? i dunno what do you think?

most products being sold as Ipod/cellphone Solar Chargers contain a "proxy battery", as to provide a smooth charge, and not an intermittent charge. you let it charge the charger's battery, and then plug it into your device.

if you are interested in a solar charger for the pandora, check out the Solio Solar Charger. im ordering one for using on my cell, ipod, and the pandora when i get it. it has a 1600mah battery built in.

if you do make a solar panel for it, be sure to post up your results, im interested in how that turns out.

back to the topic:

i would be interested in buying a secondary plastic shell for my pandora. maybe 2 or 3. im interested in airbrusing a colour-scheme of my own.

this does sound like alot more hassle for the pandora team though.

I had a ds fat top screen break on me, i was trying to grab something and leaned on it a little. seemed a little weird though, as i have seen sp's stepped on and still work fine.
ah well.

palmertech said:
No need to worry! The Archos 605 uses the same screen. Now there used to be a place that sold them, but not anymore. However... This is one of the few situations where the Pandora benefits from a stupid copy protections scheme! Every Archos 605 hard drive is locked to the player it came in, so it is impossible to replace or fix. What does that mean? It means we can buy broken ones for under $150! And while you cannot replace the hard drive in the Archos, you are able to make it into a general purpose 1.8" usb hard drive! So when you buy a broken archos, you get a new screen, and/or a 160gb mini hard drive! Pretty good deal, if you ask me. ;)
Wait, is that a 1.8" HDD with zif connection? If so, that would be amazing. (need to upgrade my UMPC and even 80G 1.8"HDD are crazy expensive.)

icurafu said:
palmertech said:
Wait, is that a 1.8" HDD with zif connection? If so, that would be amazing. (need to upgrade my UMPC and even 80G 1.8"HDD are crazy expensive.)

What does it matter if the HDD is locked to the Archos?

-God Ginrai

I thought it was the other way around. The Archos is locked to the HDD. You can't make a HDD be locked unless you add a chip to it, but it is easy to lock the Archos to only work with a particular driver.

impreziv said:
atomicthumbs said:
solar panel? hope you are joking, lol

I think he was talking about the UV film.

God Ginrai said:
icurafu said:
palmertech said:

-God Ginrai

I think he's saying that if the HDD in the Archos goes bad, it's not fixable, meaning cheap broken Archoses on eBay that we could potentially gut for screens.

icurafu said:
I thought it was the other way around. The Archos is locked to the HDD. You can't make a HDD be locked unless you add a chip to it, but it is easy to lock the Archos to only work with a particular driver.
That's not the way he said it tho'. see:
palmertech said:
[...]
Every Archos 605 hard drive is locked to the player it came in, [...]
CronoTriggerfan said:
God Ginrai said:
icurafu said:
palmertech said:

-God Ginrai

I think he's saying that if the HDD in the Archos goes bad, it's not fixable, meaning cheap broken Archoses on eBay that we could potentially gut for screens.

I know that palmertech was saying that. He was also saying that the ones with broken screens could be used as USB HDDs.

My post that you quoted was directed at icurafu, because he seemed to think that the hard drive of the Archos could be removed and placed in his UMPC, whereas the way that palmertech described the Archos hard drive made it seem like it wouldn't work with anything but the Archos. So I was asking "What's the point?"

-God Ginrai

The locking is probably in the firmware. The player is locked to the HDD not the other way around. It is highly unlikely that Archos would spend the huge amount of cash required to get custom HDDs that are locked to a specific device. Also from the pictures I have seen, it uses a ZIF Cable, so I can't see how it would be physically locked.

Back