[SEMI-SOLVED] Pandora SD card "pickyness" (Card too thin) Semi-Solution Found

Darkknight512

So I just got my Pandora today, and went out to buy an SD card, when I put it in, it did not work, though 2 of my old cards did work.

After hours of playing around with the device, I notice something, the card would work on my right slot, which has its latch not working, when I held the card in, it was detected. I did not realize this till I played with the slots for a few hours.

Then I notice when I was plugging in the SD card (on the good slot), if I did it a little slowly the icon would blip on the desktop. A few hours after that, I had the card mounted, but the card was giving me errors, I could not read or save files.

Just 5 minutes ago, I realized that if I held the card in with my thumbnail, the card would suddenly work. I could read and write to the card without any problems!

I can do a video tomorrow on it, the problem and "fix" is repeatable every time. The cards that do not work on the compatibility list may actually work no problem. This may also be why there are reports of the Pandora not working with SD micro converters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have not tried that yet, will try it in a second.

Edit: One piece of electrical tape did it! A few thousands of an inch difference and it did it, that's all it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, seems like that card doesn't follow the SD Standards 100%

That can cause issues with SD Card readers.

I remember a similiar thing for my GP2X years ago... the card was a bit too thick to go in.

Wow, seems like that card doesn't follow the SD Standards 100%

That can cause issues with SD Card readers.

I remember a similiar thing for my GP2X years ago... the card was a bit too thick to go in.

My understanding of the SD card spec is that it specifies the maximum thickness. Backwards compatibility to MMC standards would dictate compatibility with thinner cards. I have several OLD MMC cards that are about 1/2 the thickness of a 'normal' SDHC card.

could be that the contacts are slightly worn in one spot and shifting it makes/breaks the connection ...

I had that problem with an ultra-cheap SD card.

get one of those and you can say you got 110% accurate NES emulation on OpenPandora :D

Back