Sending Back My Laptop

I'd say 48 hours, but I'm a patient guy.
I'm a relatively patient dude too, but this laptop was supposed to be back by the 17th. Plus the guy said it would take "two to three minutes" to call back.

I wish they'd just replace the thing, I don't mind losing all my shit. At this point, I just want my laptop back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a relatively patient dude too, but this laptop was supposed to be back by the 17th. Plus the guy said it would take "two to three minutes" to call back.
Oh well you didn't say that. If he said two or three minutes, I'd have waited four or six. Actually probably closer to an hour, but no more than that. Most generic "I'll call you back" that I've dealt with usually mean "sometime in the next 24 hours". Give double the estimated time to account for things going sideways, and then call back.

Should have bought a Dell. They'd have had someone on your doorstep with a new part the day after you phoned them :p
I don't know how HP work with warranties, but if they have troubleshooted your problem, identified where it is and said that you just need to send it in for them to replace the part then it should be ok.

You could always setup a partition and install XP/Vista/whatever onto that, with it set as the default boot. It should only take an hour at the most and if you get your original laptop back then you'll only need to fix the boot loader and delete the partition.

Rabid dell fanboyism is something you certainly don't see every day and there are good reasons.

Should have bought a Dell. They'd have had someone on your doorstep with a new part the day after you phoned them :p
I don't know how HP work with warranties, but if they have troubleshooted your problem, identified where it is and said that you just need to send it in for them to replace the part then it should be ok.

You could always setup a partition and install XP/Vista/whatever onto that, with it set as the default boot. It should only take an hour at the most and if you get your original laptop back then you'll only need to fix the boot loader and delete the partition.

Rabid dell fanboyism is something you certainly don't see every day and there are good reasons.
:lol:

I hate buying computers from any of the brand-name manufacturers just because of all the start-up utilities they bog your system down with. I had a Dell laptop once that I bet was running twice as slow as it ought to just because of all the Dell icons my system tray was plagued with. One day I deleted their registry entries, and you know what? I didn't lose any functionality, and gained a noticeable amount of speed. :rolleyes:

I think the next time I go for a new laptop, I might buy one of those barebones kits that are out there and customize it to actually fit my needs.

Oh well you didn't say that. If he said two or three minutes, I'd have waited four or six. Actually probably closer to an hour, but no more than that. Most generic "I'll call you back" that I've dealt with usually mean "sometime in the next 24 hours". Give double the estimated time to account for things going sideways, and then call back.
or you could pay a few hundred people to call them every single minute and ask for your laptop back.

I'd say 48 hours, but I'm a patient guy.

I wish they'd just replace the thing, I don't mind losing all my shit. At this point, I just want my laptop back.
Hey Nova, mate! You gotta pressure a little bit more. If they tell you they will call you back, telephone operatives usually don't really give a shit about that. I know because I was one for a couple of months. I worked for wickes in the customer service/ tradespeople/ supplier department and when dealing with customers we weren't allowed to make any promises, really. The complaints department would deal with hard cases and they would actually have to care and they had to keep their promises so as to not piss the customers off too much (which is sort of redundant because they were so angry at this point anyway). Telephone customer service is complete crap. I bet you that you are calling some call center in some weird country and the people there have no idea wtf is going on anyways as they only have the information on screen.

Demand a superior and don't let them shake you off by telling you they are not in or busy or any of that crap. Tell them you do not want to hold, you want your laptop repaired and back in this week. File a complaint if necessary but tell them you would like to be able to recommend their services and not get into this hassle. You gotta pressure them because otherwise you will disappear in a stack of other customer files who are more pissed off than you are meaning: higher priority to deal with.

They never ever really care about your actual problem, all they care about is their brand name and that noone will sue them if their product doesn't deliver what it promises.

Back