Sensors in the Pyra

Would you be interested in an air pollution sensor, given that we can add one without changing much?

• Yes

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 67.7%

• Total voters

I think the ability to detect hazardous air pollution is quite valuable to have on a portable device that you carry with you pretty much all the time
What would you do if your Pyra informed you that it had detected hazardous air pollution?

What do you mean by Hazard? Immediately life threatening? Might have a small but quantifiable effect on overall life expectancy? etc.

What do you do now when told by 3rd parties that the area you're in has hazardous levels of air pollution?

well according to mouser it would cost 2,30 more a piece per 1000 ... not a big deal, so why stick with the old one if the new one could be a drop in replacement?

As per the question what to do, when it tells you that you're breathing bad air ... maybe open the Window ...that's basically what it's meant for.

What would you do if your Pyra informed you that it had detected hazardous air pollution?

What do you mean by Hazard? Immediately life threatening? Might have a small but quantifiable effect on overall life expectancy? etc.

What do you do now when told by 3rd parties that the area you're in has hazardous levels of air pollution?
Attempt to ventilate the area? Leave as quickly as I can? Try to track down what's causing it and remove said cause if I own the place?
[doublepost=1501774898,1501774723][/doublepost]
Feature creep shouldn't be made lightly of. A euro here, a couple cents there.. Before you know it your BOM costs are up tripple-digits :p
I've been looking at the schematics for other small pin-compatible, cheap improvements that might still be plausible to do at this stage, and this is the only one I could find. It doesn't look like that many people want it, though.

I've been looking at the schematics for other small pin-compatible, cheap improvements that might still be plausible to do at this stage, and this is the only one I could find. It doesn't look like that many people want it, though.

I think you'll find that many of us don't want any changes that could even potentially increase the timeline.

I think Grench nailed it.

I suspect that the community is split about evenly between those that want new sensors, those that don't and those that don't because they fear it will cause even more delays. Also, some people are already overreaching in purchasing the Pyra. Some additional cost might not sit right with them, especially since the (pre-)order has essentially been placed already.

There is nothing wrong with looking at better sensor packages. I certainly wouldn't mind the additional sensors, but I would not really miss them either. In my opinion, at this stage getting something out of the door is most important.

As something I would like in theory, or the P3, sure, I want everything we can cram in there (wireless charging, super duper amazing 3D holographic camera and projector, mental input thingy). That was how I interpreted the poll. When I say yes, I don't mean "stop everything, this must be added before we go any further. Also, because of this discussion I found out that there are some interesting sensors modules and such out there that I can add (and maybe even make myself*). It is kinda like the camera, where it isn't practical to have one built in (not that I want one) but I like looking at the options, and am totally in support of finding/making something that works for Pyra owners.

If it caused any delay, or a change in total unit cost of more than a few bucks on the 4G model (the only one I would expect to see this sensor on) then I wouldn't want it on the Pyra. I know it isn't all that practical, and probably wouldn't happen, but who knows. ED let us have 4GB as a RAM option (and now there things that have to be worked out to get that working :().

*Turns out it isn't a good idea to leave batteries in a HP 100LX inside an environmental case for a few months without use. Everything seems to be working fine, but I had a big mess to clean up. I still need to open it up and check out the boards for new damage.

Back