Serious Headphone Problems

SiIV

Website
Visit site
Ok, the gp2x fell from about... maybe four feet. I didn't think anything was wrong.
Later on when i try to listen to music, i notice the headphones don't work. I unplug the headphones and replug them in a few times, and notice it is shifting around inside. I put it back in my pocket, and then when I go down to the train, everything is gone. It's just blank. I think that the headphone jack is in the system because I had the leather headphone protector thing closed

Ok, the gp2x fell from about... maybe four feet. I didn't think anything was wrong.
Later on when i try to listen to music, i notice the headphones don't work. I unplug the headphones and replug them in a few times, and notice it is shifting around inside. I put it back in my pocket, and then when I go down to the train, everything is gone. It's just blank. I think that the headphone jack is in the system because I had the leather headphone protector thing closed

Do you have a first edition? I've read a few times that this was a bad point of the early consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep; sounds like the jack itself un-soldered from the board. You could take the unit apart and try to re-solder it back on ... it shouldn't be that difficult.

My jack just recently broke off inside the unit [first edition]. I had been using the 2x in my truck that still has a cassette with one of those tape adapters in it. Even knowing that the jack was fragile and taking extra care didn't help.

1.2.1 crippled movie playback with sync errors and then the jack breaking just made me hang my head in my hands. With hope 1.3.0 will fix the movie problems. As for the jack, I'm going to talk to some of my more industrious friends to see what can be done about strengthening it so it does not happen again.

CoinOp

Not all 1st editions have the jack problem.

My headphone jack is the most solidly-soldered one I have ever seen (you'd need a strong pair of vice-grips to rip it off, I would think.).

why dont you return it and get new unit since the jack broke?
I've opened my 2x many times thus voiding the warranty. I knew when I pre ordered the risk I was taking as an early adopter. I knew I was voiding my warranty when I opened it up the first time. To be honest It didn't bother me then and it still doesn't bother me now. I've been having a fantastic time playing with my 2x and the above mentioned problems are certainly temporary. Sending back my 2x for something that I can get a trusted friend to fix for me seems ludicrous. But that's just me.

CoinOp

Last edited by a moderator:
Back