Setting ptiorities for process (hotfix suggestion)

asimov-solensan

Very Active Member
I was wondering if this would make sense. In every linux you can set the priority level for every process although in a usual computer this isn't needed, every user process has the same priority.

But I think it may be useful on the pandora, I mean, multitasking in this machine is increible, and with smome applications running a user may want that ones has more priority than othera.

In my case I hear music while browsig with claws mail opened and a couple of pdf's opened. In a similar scenario some users would want the browser (to get smoother navigation over all) to have more priority than other applications, some other would prefer the player (to prevent sound stuttering), etc ...

My idea was that users could save a file in the appdata folder of the application that sets the nice level for that process, just the same we do with cpuspeed file.

What do people think of this?

PS

Fore those who don't know "nice level" is how linux manages priorities it goes from 20 (lowest priorit) to -20 (highest priority) and it's a parameter specified when running anything. The default for user is 0. I would recommend to play with values between 0 and -4 to not conflict with system services.

I think what is more important in the Hotfix release schedule is the addition of a -realtime kernel configuration for music-making apps .. with this in place it won't make much difference what the priorities are - realtime is available if an app needs it, and thats about all that matters.

All patches into mainstream kernel would be nice. I long for it.

Nice from -1 to -20 requires admin rights, so pnd makers should choose the level of non-priority.

And users usage may differ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back