Sevral Questions XD

astrotrini

Still Fresh
Is there a sega dreamcast emulator that can work for Pandora??

Has any one tried running windows 98 on Pandora ?

Is there a starcraft clone for Pandora ??

Is it possible 2 port mmorpgs that have low system specs 2 the pandora??

I soo want to buy one and advertise 2 friends in my country about this cool system plz give me info Muhahahahahaa

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I don't get ninja'd... :lol:

- Someone has worked on a Dreamcast emulator that works, but isn't really fast enough to be playable. It might turn up in the future, but don't hold your breath.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vXJ0WtWGRLE?feature=oembed

- Someone has done Win 95, but not Win 98 (unless I missed it).

- Starcraft? dunno... I've heard talk of it, but not sure what came of it.

- If there is source code for the 2 MMORPGs you speak of, it's a possibility.

Hi and welcome!

Is there a sega dreamcast emulator that can work for Pandora??
There was one in the works, but to my knowledge there hasn't been much done with it recently. It hasn't yet been made available in PND form (this is the way most applications for the Pandora are packaged), as far as I know.

A very old video of the emulator can be viewed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXJ0WtWGRLE. (You can tell its age, because the Pandora shown in this video is a prototype in a clear casing.)

Has any one tried running windows 98 on Pandora ?
The Pandora is an ARM-based machine, and Microsoft Windows 98 requires an x86 processor, so if you're wondering if anybody has tried running it directly, that is impossible. (I cannot tell from your question, and I think it's best to cover all bases in order to prevent any misunderstandings. ;) )

That said, some folks have run Microsoft Windows 95 in DOSBox. You can read about that here - however, if you're thinking of doing anything computer-like with an emulated Microsoft Windows of any sort, you would probably be better off using the built-in Ångström-based Linux distribution instead. :p

Is there a starcraft clone for Pandora ??
I don't know the answer to this one, because platform games are more my sort of thing. I'll have to defer this to someone who knows the answer.

Is it possible 2 port mmorpgs that have low system specs 2 the pandora??
Are these MMORPGs open source, and not dependent on features of x86 processors or Microsoft Windows? If yes, then it may be possible. If you could please provide more information about this question, you could probably get a more detailed answer. ;)

I hope my attempts at answering your questions help you out in some way.

EDIT: @-Tj- - I started writing before you replied, but it looks like you were the one ninja'd me! :ph34r:

Stargus

I don't think it works well though, but it is a start for those that like to tinker. I think before this was Wargus, the same thing for WarCraft II, but Blizzard shut them down. They could have fought it, and there have been cases like it where the moder won since then, but they threw in the towel since it was way back when. Plus, Warcraft II would be pointless since it runs perfectly fine under DOSbox, well, Pandora wise anyway.

Well i was hoping since it was possibe for dosbox to run win 95 it would be posible for win98 just the idea of runing microsoft applications off pandora is exciting sad tht it's jus a dream., i really do hope someone has the guts to take on the dreamcast emu cause i tell u sir there are a lot of dreamcast fans who want a portable dreamcast .As for the mmorpg here are a few i dream about

http://worldforge.org/

http://crossfire.real-time.com/

http://www.genecys.org/

http://www.vbgore.com/Main_Page

http://www.deliantra.net/

http://stendhalgame.org/

just a few i hope someone there very on tailormade jus for pandora mmo i got a name for it 2 pandora's beux XD

if win98 is your dream, this is the wrong product for you

if win98 is your dream, this is the wrong product for you

Is there a search facility?

*sigh* here comes the welcoming brigade :rolleyes:

Perhaps instead of focusing on how high and mighty we are since we've followed this product and posted in these forums for years, we could focus on the potential positive impact of new additions to the community?

Seriously, this person wants to know more about the Pandora, the whole reason all of us are here, and you're going to tell them off about how it's not the right product for them and how they should lrn2search? If open-source gaming culture like that surrounding the Pandora is to defeat the commercial gaming industry, we need to win over people who may not spend every moment of their lives studying forum ethics and CPU architectures.

I'm not naming names, but since I've returned to checking these forums regularly, I've noticed how utterly negative some users are being-- there are those who consistently reply to seemingly every thread with something bitter or sarcastic. To these people: why do you do this? I'm curious.

In light of the last comment. Welcome to the boards! The first question you should really ask yourself is how long you want to wait. Some people have been waiting for more than a year. It is kind of like fishing where the fun is in the waiting. If it wasn't it would be called catching. I am just as excited as the day that I made my purchase. I am willing to wait for a VERY long time.

The first thing you need to know about running software on the Pandora is that the processor is an ARM architecture. An ARM architecture means that all software from an X86 system needs to be ported or rewritten entirely. For that to happen the source code(the code from the original program) needs be open source. If said software meets a TON of conditions you MAY be in luck and someone may pick it up. Or you could learn to fix it yourself...

Personally I am very happy with PS1 & Gameboy advance emulation. If other things happen in the future great! If not... whatever. I like the system as it stands. You need to keep in mind people are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. Unless you want to pay them which I am sure they would appreciate. Ask specific questions, and as already mentioned use the search function because people are kinda cranky if the question has already been answered. Don't get down about that though, because a large majority of the people are happy to answer all of your questions. I think they just don't like the people who "hit and run." We like it when people become part of the boards.

Welcome, and I hope you have fun waiting!

*sigh* here comes the welcoming brigade :rolleyes:

Perhaps instead of focusing on how high and mighty we are since we've followed this product and posted in these forums for years, we could focus on the potential positive impact of new additions to the community?

Seriously, this person wants to know more about the Pandora, the whole reason all of us are here, and you're going to tell them off about how it's not the right product for them and how they should lrn2search? If open-source gaming culture like that surrounding the Pandora is to defeat the commercial gaming industry, we need to win over people who may not spend every moment of their lives studying forum ethics and CPU architectures.

I'm not naming names, but since I've returned to checking these forums regularly, I've noticed how utterly negative some users are being-- there are those who consistently reply to seemingly every thread with something bitter or sarcastic. To these people: why do you do this? I'm curious.
Thank you for the sermon.

A view from the other end.

When you join a new forum it is considered good form to read up a little, to try out the search facility instead of just asking whatever question takes your fancy because you can't be arsed, and anyway I waited until somebody had given the 'correct' answer before making my post from hell.

Amen

There is a developers fund going on, wouldn't that help alleviate the cost of larger scale ports?

Seriously, this person wants to know more about the Pandora, the whole reason all of us are here, and you're going to tell them off about how it's not the right product for them
Yes. If it isn't the right product for them, I am not going to convince them otherwise. There are so many different products out there right now that you can fill a lot of niches. If this persons idea of useful is to run Windows, the Pandora is not for him, simple as that.

we need to win over people who may not spend every moment of their lives studying forum ethics and CPU architectures.
Again, I disagree. We need to help people make informed decisions based on their needs, and if their needs do not fit what the Pandora can provide then I am not going to go out of my way to explain how great it is because it won't do any good: it still doesn't do everything the person wants it for.

To these people: why do you do this? I'm curious.
Because sometimes it is the right thing to do. I may be a poor salesman, but I'm not going to convince someone to buy something they won't be completely satisfied with.

If he were some kind of n00b he would have asked for Windows XP

He was smart enough to ask for the portability of "lowspec" MMO's

He asked for info on a technically running but unplayable emu

I'd say he is the right kind of type for a pandora, but does need to learn to search and ask nice questions (borderline troll disorder ;) )

to answer OP's questions,

Win98 would run about as good as Win95 in dosbox => just good enough to run Notepad.exe (just make shure to tape your license sticker to the underside of your pandora)

Dreamcast emu will probably never run fullspeed, but hey some low spec game might just run fullspeed

lowspec MMo's that are open source should be able to run on the pandora (think 2D MMO)

I don't know of any starcraft clones i've always been more of the "red alert" type RTS player myself (PSX red alert should run fine on the emu)

First of all, welcome to the boards.

Well i was hoping since it was possibe for dosbox to run win 95 it would be posible for win98 just the idea of runing microsoft applications off pandora is exciting sad tht it's jus a dream., i really do hope someone has the guts to take on the dreamcast emu cause i tell u sir there are a lot of dreamcast fans who want a portable dreamcast .As for the mmorpg here are a few i dream about

http://worldforge.org/

http://crossfire.real-time.com/

http://www.genecys.org/

http://www.vbgore.com/Main_Page

http://www.deliantra.net/

http://stendhalgame.org/

just a few i hope someone there very on tailormade jus for pandora mmo i got a name for it 2 pandora's beux XD
Some of those look like they would be possible in theory (Low spec, open source, run on linux).

However, that does not guarantee a direct recompile or easy port is possible.

Just a simplified example: the Pandora does not have full support for OpenGL but just OpenGL ES (more or less a subset of OpenGL). In case OpenGL is heavily used in a game it might be tricky to map this onto OpenGL ES.

Other similar issues like this can always exist and will have to be found and fixed during the porting process.

So yes, I do think some of these can be ported but I cannot judge how hard it will be (without diving into the source code and studying up on some APIs and libraries I don't really know).

Furthermore, the fact that they can be ported does not necessarily mean that someone will. There are a couple of great programmers and porters around here, but unless it's a simple quick port they may not want to spend a lot of time on games which they don't care about themselves.

holy crap, i said something good? i dont mean to come off as an a-hole, but i seriously think that people that are looking to run windows on a portable should look elsewhere. now there is a chance that he wants to run windows to get certain other things running but doesnt know theres other open linux versions of that that should easily run on the pandora, this could lead to a much better discussion, but if this is someone that wants to run x86 games that minimum specs are win98, 600mhz pentium and some other random stuff that he thinks he can "emulate" on the pandora, then ill have no problem telling them to look elsewhere, it'd be nice if every new forum member would figure out what the pandora CAN do instead of trying to find it if it can do what they want it to do

it'd be nice if every new forum member would figure out what the pandora CAN do instead of trying to find it if it can do what they want it to do
i did that :D however not everyone is like that and thats something we gotta deal with, but isn't any new forum member a potential pre orderer? and once receiving his pandora he shows it to people and advertises it, therefore getting more orders? as far as i can tell the more people we get to realize the potential for the pandora the greater it will become.

If open-source gaming culture like that surrounding the Pandora is to defeat the commercial gaming industry, we need to win over people who may not spend every moment of their lives studying forum ethics and CPU architectures.
Myself, I don't think that will ever happen, nor do I think it's about winning people over. There's room for both, and people would be best off purchasing and using whatever suits them best - to my mind, that's all there is to it.

I mean, put yourself in the shoes of a potential customer of Hypothetical Open Console A for a moment, who just wants to know if it is a quality product and if it meets their requirements - does the thought of a group of people on a forum plotting to win people like yourself over in order to "defeat" other people who sell other products sound particularly appealing? :p

it'd be nice if every new forum member would figure out what the pandora CAN do instead of trying to find it if it can do what they want it to do
But surely trying to find out if it can do what they want it to do is a good thing, then? It helps those asking to figure out what the Pandora can do, and if it can't do what they want it to, then they won't be an unhappy/regretful customer - and it also helps others who might not sign up here or at the other forum to figure out the same.

I've been following this since the start and I'm still not sure what the limitations are. Heck, it wasn't long ago that all 'you know it alls' were telling new forum members that no, N64 will never be emulated on the Pandora, and it looks pretty good right now.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just those that are easily annoyed by questions.

^ I don't think anyone ever said it couldn't be done, or at least, I don't recall such. Just that it would need someone to take the time to do it, and that that may take a long time. :p (And then one day, as if from out of nowhere, came the Magic Emulator Fairy Ari64, in a most awesome fashion. :lol: )

Back