Sevral Questions XD

^ I don't think anyone ever said it couldn't be done, or at least, I don't recall such. Just that it would need someone to take the time to do it, and that that may take a long time. :p (And then one day, as if from out of nowhere, came the Magic Emulator Fairy Ari64, in a most awesome fashion. :lol: )
I thought people were saying that it couldn't be emulated because of the N64 CPU, nothing else in the world used it or something. It still surprises me how far N64 is right now though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought people were saying that it couldn't be emulated because of the N64 CPU, nothing else in the world used it or something. It still surprises me how far N64 is right now though.
Basically, to run efficiently the N64 emulator required a dynamic recompiler. While those have been written for the x86 platform, none existed for ARM. As ARM and x86 use an entirely different instruction set, this basically means rewriting it from scratch. Writing dynamic recompilers isn't a typical skill of your average programmer, so people said it would be difficult and take a lot of work.

Then, some day, Ari64 wrote his epic first post on the gp32x boards explaining that he actually wrote one :D That was the start of it. I have to say, thanks again for that Ari.

but on the other hand, the pandora is powerful enough to run many many things, unfortunetly those things arent made for pandoras hardware, and many newcomers (including myself) dont realize that.

on a side note, why is "unfortunetly" not a word according to chrome?

Unfortunately you can't right click on words in Chrome to spell check them. It might be another one of those words like Color and Colour. Once in a while I come across a web browser that has the UK spelling dictionary installed for some reason and it drives me up the wall. Once in Brazil I cam across someone teaching English claiming 'Y'all' was a word, guess where he was from.

Wasn't trying to give a sermon, maybe "defeat" was a bit harsh-- but if any community is to last (especially in the face of opposition) it must grow, that was what I was meaning... but my main point overall is we don't want new people to think we're a bunch of snobs, so instead of asking "Is there a search function?" sarcastically we might say "Welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay. Feel free to search the forums as there is already a great wealth of information in the archives."

Anyway I'm obviously not making any friends here, so I'll bring up something maybe we all can agree on:

If you follow that link you'll notice an oddity under the PC Functions section:

The Pandora offers a complete desktop mode. That does mean: Windows, a start menu, multitasking. You can run multiple programs at once.

You can write some text in an office application while listening to music or following an internet chat. It's just like a PC. Only smaller. And more portable.
Emphasis mine.

Now, the general populace is uneducated about Linux. Moreover, the majority of gaming culture consists of people using Windows. Thus, when I see this from the eyes of an average, everyday gamer, I see that the Pandora offers Windows as an operating system. It doesn't help that it's capitalised and even mentions the "start menu" and advertises that it is "Just like a PC, only smaller."

Now, I get what is meant here, but other people may not, and so I'm simply suggesting that this wording be changed to reflect the non-Windows nature of the Pandora.

Now, the general populace is uneducated about Linux. Moreover, the majority of gaming culture consists of people using Windows. Thus, when I see this from the eyes of an average, everyday gamer, I see that the Pandora offers Windows as an operating system. It doesn't help that it's capitalised and even mentions the "start menu" and advertises that it is "Just like a PC, only smaller."

Now, I get what is meant here, but other people may not, and so I'm simply suggesting that this wording be changed to reflect the non-Windows nature of the Pandora.
I gave the website a quick review when ED updated it (I don't even remember when that was, but it was a long time ago).

I believe I also pointed out this particular issue at the time. Updating that website is absolutely not a high priority to the team.

Wasn't trying to give a sermon, maybe "defeat" was a bit harsh-- but if any community is to last (especially in the face of opposition) it must grow, that was what I was meaning... but my main point overall is we don't want new people to think we're a bunch of snobs, so instead of asking "Is there a search function?" sarcastically we might say "Welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay. Feel free to search the forums as there is already a great wealth of information in the archives."

Anyway I'm obviously not making any friends here, so I'll bring up something maybe we all can agree on:
Ahh, I see what you mean now! I quite agree, and you're quite right - we certainly don't want folks getting the impression that we're snobs when we're not. :lol:

The colon could certainly stand to go so that that "W" isn't capitalised, indeed. I never noticed that before (although admittedly I don't check the official site too often).

But, what's the problem with "Just like a PC, only smaller"? Surely the problem with that phrase is the fact that a number of people have forgotten that it's an acronym, and that acronym doesn't mean "Microsoft Windows" and "Intel x86"? (Ok, I am joking somewhat here. I can see why that could stand to be changed too, even though I personally think that the phrase is accurate. :p )

Technically speaking, it can run Windows, but yeah, I think it should say "a windowed environment," "a Windows-like desktop environment (Linux-based)," or something similar. It really is very misleading.

I agree that we shouldn't be turning away potential new users or even new forum members with attitude problems, but I've also noticed that more pessimistic- or elitist-sounding responses seem to have increased over the last year or so. When I preordered last year, most people were very helpful, and I don't recall there being much animosity, but as time went on and the delays got more frequent I think people just started getting frustrated just by being on the boards at all.

I've also sometimes been annoyed by the frequency of new users dropping in and asking the same old questions over and over, time and time again (Dreamcast/N64/PS2/DS emus, Windows*, Android, to name a few). In those cases I'd refrain from posting, and thankfully some of the friendlier members of the community have almost always chimed in first to point our new friends in the right direction.

To those members: thanks. :)

EDIT: @-Tj- - I started writing before you replied, but it looks like you were the one ninja'd me! :ph34r:
Awesome, my first-ever ninja! But credit where credit is due, your post was more informative than mine. ;)

But, what's the problem with "Just like a PC, only smaller"? Surely the problem with that phrase is the fact that a number of people have forgotten that it's an acronym, and that acronym doesn't mean "Microsoft Windows" and "Intel x86"? (Ok, I am joking somewhat here. I can see why that could stand to be changed too, even though I personally think that the phrase is accurate. :p )

Hehe, technically you are right! It is unfortunate that Microsoft and IBM kinda hijacked that whole PC moniker. Or... was it Apple that pushed it upon them? All this "Hi! I'm a Mac! <insert guy in casual-chic attire here> and I'm a PC! <insert stereotypical suit here>" stuff is pretty petty sometimes, if you ask me... and I'm not a Windows fan myself :p

Unfortunately, Apple even furthers this sentiment with marketing their BootCamp/Parallels as some "special feature" they invented which allows "foreign" Windows to work on their elite proprietary hardware. Really, all the hardware incompatibility ended when Apple gave in and switched to x86, BootCamp/Parallels is just Applese for dual-booting/virtualisation, and were it not for Apple's prohibitive software licenses (even more so than Microsoft's!), people would be selling Hackintoshes everywhere (actually, haven't there been people trying to do that anyway recently?).

I propose that we deal with this by temporarily using Personal Computer in lieu of "PC" until everyone has realised that a Mac really is just a PC with its price inflated threefold and its system specs pre-defined, enabling the creation of a gargantuan software suite that "just works."

Sadly though, for the majority of the world, PC will continue to imply "Personal Computer... Running Microsoft Windows over Whatever Architecture is Popular This Decade, Not That We Know the Difference Anyway."

tl;dr: I agree with you that the Pandora -is- a PC, rant a bit about Macs making people believe it isn't, and laugh at your joke in a ha-ha-only-serious manner. :lol:

^ It's always lovely to see someone who knows the definition of "ha ha only serious", I must say. :lol: (Although speaking from my own recollection, this "PC being used to mean something other than Personal Computer" thing seems to have been going on for a lot longer than those advertisements... I wonder where it originated?)

*shakes head*

Yes, we should change how we speak for the lowest common denominator. Lets cater to those who think PC means Windows and not even use the word 'windows' at all.

I'm thinking that this wave of Pandoras is for people that know a bit more than the people you guys are trying to make happy. Lets not teach advanced math in schools so no one gets left behind, lets talk more simply in these forums so no one gets confused.

I would rather not avoid phrases or words and have questions like these that I can answer to educate people than walk on egg shells. I know some people get angry at people asking if the Pandora can run Windows98 but who cares? I guess those people will continue to post rude comments(not that any were posted in this thread) but you can never make the Internet a utopia.

I'm thinking that this wave of Pandoras is for people that know a bit more than the people you guys are trying to make happy.
"You guys"? I'm not changing how I speak for anyone.

My PCs are a Pandora, a Thinkpad, and a MacBook. Each of them can display: Windows, menus, and so on. :p

My PCs are a Pandora, a Thinkpad, and a MacBook. Each of them can display: Windows, menus, and so on. :p

oh god! you're confusing them further :p

Hmm, why did you cap the 'w' there? Microsoft has gotten you you, haven't they!?!

I saw this thread as etiquette on how we should speak around here, thought I'd put the brakes on.

XD oh jesus, i seem to have sparked a small debate here

people tend to not realise why it's even called windows, and definately don't know what w.i.m.p means :D

Back