Sevral Questions XD

Hmm, why did you cap the 'w' there? Microsoft has gotten you you, haven't they!?!

I'm guessing it's a difference between American and British grammatical tendencies (if you're from Britain, my theory is obviously wrong).

I've never studied British grammar or capitalisation, I just use Britonesque spelling and occasionally pronunciation where I feel that it makes more sense, but it seems to me that perhaps in British English one capitalises whatever word comes after a colon, whereas in American English one does not.

Note that I've not researched this claim; it is simply a guess based on Prometheus' inference that Windows is capitalised because it is after a colon, whereas I see no such requirement.

All this could be avoided if Bill Gates had thought of a less-generic name for his GUI, and if people were required to know the meaning of abbreviations and acronyms before they used them (exempli gratia, "id est"). :p

I was thinking it might have something to do with Germans capitalizing their nouns, but then Prometheus did it too.

I admit, I'm not 100% sure whether a window of the computing variety should be capitalised or not... :lol: (I'm more used to using colons in written speech, to be honest. :p )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back