Should I buy now?

BeOhBe

Still Fresh
Hello All. I've been following the Pandora Saga for a while and am apprehensive to purchase a unit.

Is now a good time or should I wait?

Would the 600MHZ unit be good enough for MAME and SNES emulation?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Go for it! Both Link and ED have the 600MHz units in stock. I don't have much experience with MAME, but the 600MHz unit is definitely good enough for SNES. Maybe someone else can chime in about MAME.

Hello All. I've been following the Pandora Saga for a while and am apprehensive to purchase a unit.

Which MAME games you want to play on the Pandora?

I've had an original 256MG classic edition (as they now are), and the fastest I ever needed to overclock my Pandora was between 750-800 for the more demanding SNES games (Yoshi's Island etc), and everything in MAME4ALL runs fine at stock 600, PanMAME need more juice under the hood certainly!

Thank you all for your kind constructive responses.

I'm Old School video guy.

For MAME

I'm looking to play Galaga, Ms PacMan, DigDug, 1943 etc.

For SNES

- Super Mario Brothers

Would be nice to be able to play some old PC games

- Doom

- X-Com UFO Defense

- Half Life

I'm probably dating myself with this list.

Short answer: YES!

Long answer: you should have bought half a year ago, everything was smooth already back then (at least in ED's shop).

For emulation, the 600MHz unit is fine - the 1GHz really only makes a difference for N64 and PC emulation, the other stuff is fullspeed anyway.

2 questions.

1. Which is Ed's shop?

2. Would the 600MHZ work for PC emulation for the OLD School PC Games? Half Life, Doom etc.

Or

Should I consider the 1 GHZ unit when things are firing on all cylinders?

Last edited by a moderator:
also can run doom and duke nukem and quake just need data files from your cd. there are alot of great ports:warcraft,freedune,baldurs gate, take some time to look over all the great emu's/programs here .

i also play mame aton i use mame 4all and everygame i try is fine, play alot of xman, golden axe on mame, and snes runs good i don't use it much, mostly play alot of psx ff7 and tony hawk 3 with my own music plaing via vlc on the go is the best

i have a rebirth model 512mb and i don't find many problems at all put my os on my sd card and now firefox runs very fast, have a 64gb card stuffed with my flac audio files and can bump my apt for hours and battry doesn't go down much at all. so yes i would buy one atlest if not 2:)

2. Would the 600MHZ work for PC emulation for the OLD School PC Games? Half Life, Doom etc.
Everything in 3D is not likely to be played smooth or at all. IngoReis made a Video of

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hmTs1vVBv6g?feature=oembed on the Pandora vie Qemu - he made all his Videos on his non 1 GHz Model, but I doubt that using a 1 GHz Modell will make it real playable - there is also a not very well maintained game list in the wiki.
Last but not least there is also a dosBox Port, but the rule of thumb here is => slower but more compatible (in comparison to Qemu)

If its a native port, 3d WILL work good: Doom, Wolf3d, Hexen 1/2, Quake 1/2/3, Duke3d. Those will run good as they have native ports as their sourcecode is available. With emulation 3d games are not playable, so don't get your hopes up for HalfLife 1/2, Blood 2 (Blood 1 actually can be run in dosbox acceptably.

If its a native port, 3d WILL work good: Doom, Wolf3d, Hexen 1/2, Quake 1/2/3, Duke3d. Those will run good as they have native ports as their sourcecode is available. With emulation 3d games are not playable, so don't get your hopes up for HalfLife 1/2, Blood 2 (Blood 1 actually can be run in dosbox acceptably.

By the way, a little bit off topic, but where can one find the port of Quake 3 ? I found one on the old pandora-apps site (not the repo) but I get stuck in the menu because the nubs are non-responsive. Any idea where to get a proper version ?

For Quake 3 you have "open arena" that is free for linux based players and is extremely similar.

By the way, a little bit off topic, but where can one find the port of Quake 3 ? I found one on the old pandora-apps site (not the repo) but I get stuck in the menu because the nubs are non-responsive. Any idea where to get a proper version ?

As far as I know a proper version doesn't exist, you can start the game in joystick mode and slowly stumble through the menus to start the game and it's fine after that. Someone could try to re-package Pickle's port with a better control scheme. but most of these old ports are not getting much love.

PSX works on it like a charm and some android games like CS :)

Is now a good time?

Answer: Not just yes, but HELL YES!!

Absolutely. I use the ReBirth version, just got it a little over a week ago. I have FBA, MAME, PanMAME, SNES, PSXreARMed, and many other emulators all working, and doing terrific!!

Yer welcome!

Signed,

A 41-year old woman who believes the Pandora kicks total ass!!

I've had an original 256MG classic edition (as they now are), and the fastest I ever needed to overclock my Pandora was between 750-800 for the more demanding SNES games (Yoshi's Island etc), and everything in MAME4ALL runs fine at stock 600, PanMAME need more juice under the hood certainly!

Hummm, I have my default clock speed, on settings, at 800...because it said in the set-up most things would work at this speed. Is 600 Mhz the actual "default" setting?

Thank you all for your kind constructive responses.

I'm Old School video guy.

For MAME

I'm looking to play Galaga, Ms PacMan, DigDug, 1943 etc.

For SNES

- Super Mario Brothers

Would be nice to be able to play some old PC games

- Doom

- X-Com UFO Defense

- Half Life

I'm probably dating myself with this list.

Helll, no, you're in my league!!

I can assure you my ReBirth plays Galaga, PacMan, Ms Pacman, 1943, and Super Mario Bros...among many, many, many others! I have 157 games on PanMAME alone!

Back