Should I Wait?

Blaine0002

Website
http
i currently have a gp32 and am wondering if i should just get a 2x or wait for some problems to be fixed. i have read the forums a little bit and people have been complaining about some problems. im wondering if most of these problems will be fixed in later shipments of the system, or will updates be available after i buy the system?

If you have to ask then yes. If you're unsure when you buy it you'll have a sense of dissapointment when you actually get it. Wait, see if stuff gets fixed any better than it is or atleast until you feel you can't do without it.

I've been wondering this myself.

I ordered with Lik-sang, and because of the firmware issues they've made the decision not to order thier units until the 'official release'. I'm of two minds with this. One is that I feel I've been snooping around here long enough that I know how to handle most of the problems that could occur with the unit, and I don't want to wait any longer. The orther part of me wonders if it would be better anyway to wait and hold my order with Lik-sang so I get a more 'improved' unit.

I would suggest that you should order with Lik-sang so that when the 'official release' comes they'll send you your unit, but they're being really sketchy on this issue. They haven't posted an update about this in months, and I'm starting to wonder if GPH is actually ever going to meet the requirements that Lik-sang has made.

So, I would suggest that you buy your unit now from a distributor that preloads the latest firmware on the system (I think gp32z.com is doing that) and most of the problems will be fixed with that firmware. Then, when the next one comes out, go ahead and upgrade.

The "official" version is said to replace the current stick cap with a new one. That is about all the hardware changes which are to be expected and when the new caps (not sticks, only the caps on the stick) are available, I guess most of your friendly retailers will provid them for free or at little cost.

All other software related problems, so scanline issues and bootup freezes primarily, will be either fixed per firmware update or haunt us for eternity. Whatever, waiting to buy the unit won't help much :)

On the contrary, you'll miss quite some fun. Despite the little problems here and there, much is working like it should.

I was always tempted to get a gp32 but I never got one, went straight for the gp2x instead and like it a lot. But then I like messing around with open source stuff and don't have my expectations too high right now, that being said, the stuff out there is in pretty good shape and should only get better.

exactly what are you looking for... if you looking for something that plays great emulators (drmd and mame) then get it....

if your looking for a games appliance go buy a PSP / DS or something.

Part of the fun is checking these boards and finding whats new !! if you dont enjoy that then dont do it.

I have never regretted buying mine.

I've been wondering this myself.

I ordered with Lik-sang, and because of the firmware issues they've made the decision not to order thier units until the 'official release'. I'm of two minds with this. One is that I feel I've been snooping around here long enough that I know how to handle most of the problems that could occur with the unit, and I don't want to wait any longer. The orther part of me wonders if it would be better anyway to wait and hold my order with Lik-sang so I get a more 'improved' unit.

I would suggest that you should order with Lik-sang so that when the 'official release' comes they'll send you your unit, but they're being really sketchy on this issue. They haven't posted an update about this in months, and I'm starting to wonder if GPH is actually ever going to meet the requirements that Lik-sang has made.

So, I would suggest that you buy your unit now from a distributor that preloads the latest firmware on the system (I think gp32z.com is doing that) and most of the problems will be fixed with that firmware. Then, when the next one comes out, go ahead and upgrade.

erm...say what? im pretty sure the "official release" has now passed, why order from liksang anyway? they shit allover the 2X without a second thought

Last edited by a moderator:
The "official" version is said to replace the current stick cap with a new one. That is about all the hardware changes which are to be expected and when the new caps (not sticks, only the caps on the stick) are available, I guess most of your friendly retailers will provid them for free or at little cost.

Where did you read that?

erm...say what? im pretty sure the "official release" has now passed, why order from liksang anyway? they shit allover the 2X without a second thought

Oh, the official release has passed? Noone told me about this VERY recent development. Apparently, the official release that you're talking about I guess isn't 'official' enough to count at Lik-Sang.

Yes, they shit all over the GP2X. I don't suggest anyone to buy from them. They are being rediculous and accepting preorders for a handheld they have no intention of distributing. I preordered mine at a more innocent time, a time when noone had a GP2X except select devs. I had no idea that they'd be penisholes about it all.

Back