Showing Some Ignorance

foleyjo

Can someone please explain to me Mame, Final burn, and cP2, I know what mame stands for and i know he kind of games i can play on it. I also know what games I can play with CP2 (as they are all listed0 but what does Final Burn do?? Im more of a console/ computer gamer than an arcade gamer but I have been finding some good games with my experimenting.
Also unsure what the OPEN2X project is about. Is that a new OS thats comming out??

Ive had these questions for a while but didnt want to show my ignorance :blink:

Open2X is a newer, community modified Linux system for the GP2X (I don't know how else to phrase it...)

FinalBurn emulates some arcade machines just like CPS2 and MAME, it was just originally written to play after burner (I think...) but now plays some newer shmups, etc.

foleyjo said:
but what does Final Burn do?? Im more of a console/ computer gamer than an arcade gamer but I have been finding some good games with my experimenting.
Also unsure what the OPEN2X project is about. Is that a new OS thats comming out??
From wikipedia:

FinalBurn Alpha is an arcade emulator for MC68000/Z80 based arcade games. It mostly plays Capcom games on the CPS1 and CPS2 boards as well as most of the Neo-Geo MVS arcade games.

From the open2x wiki:

Open2x is an umbrella project to bring open source, community friendly, solutions to the GP2X Linux handheld system. The project consists of a number of complementing sub-projects that work together to deliver things such as the Open2x toolchains, kernel and firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lurkio said:
FinalBurn Alpha is an arcade emulator for MC68000/Z80 based arcade games. It mostly plays Capcom games on the CPS1 and CPS2
Thats where one of the confusions came into it. So with Final Burn will I not need the CP2 emulator??Or is that something different?

One of the reasons why these things baffle me is because the site I use to get my mame roms (A legal site where im only downloading games I own ;) ) has hundreds of games but on the GP2x some use mame some use CP2 and others just dont work at all(though one of them was afterburner)

is there a wiki page that would explain the arcade boards it might help me understand more

foleyjo said:
So with Final Burn will I not need the CP2 emulator??Or is that something different?

is there a wiki page that would explain the arcade boards it might help me understand more
I'd keep a copy of both of them, because some roms may work with one of the emulators but not with another.

Arcade boards

Thanks everyone. I understand now. Going to have some fun trying to find some arcade games that Ill like.. :D

just the forum I was looking for -- what do I do to get MAME games working under MAMEGP2X 4.1?

I've got MAME roms from (Site reference removed). I've unpacked them and copied the files to subdirectories (named with regards to the gamelist.txt) in MAMEGP2X's roms directory (the MAMEGP2X dir is in the root of the SD card). yet it says Error: No available games found.

throw those stones, but could someone help too?

cheers!=)

TrajectoryModifier said:
just the forum I was looking for -- what do I do to get MAME games working under MAMEGP2X 4.1?

I've got MAME roms from (Site reference removed). I've unpacked them and copied the files to subdirectories (named with regards to the gamelist.txt) in MAMEGP2X's roms directory (the MAMEGP2X dir is in the root of the SD card). yet it says Error: No available games found.

throw those stones, but could someone help too?

cheers!=)

You need a program called clrmamepro and then you need to convert them to work with the GP2X. Instructions are in the read me files I think

TrajectoryModifier: Links to roms sites are not allowed here, so please modify your post.

Also, if you wish to test FBAP, note that the archives should remain in there zipped form. Do not decompress them. I don't know anything about MAME so I'll assume foleyjo is right on that matter.

Actually most of the games should work fine, the emulator I believe is based on v0.34 so make your roms are compatible with that. Note that not all games are working... but a large share of them are. I personally really like the Neo Geo games... and the GNGeo2x emulator.

Like you said... put the roms in the rom folder... and make your way to games/MAMEGP2X 4.1/mamegp2x/ and click on mame_gp2x it is actually a .gpe file if you look in the file explorer and it will take you into the main screen at which point you should see your games.

Ripster said:
Actually most of the games should work fine, the emulator I believe is based on v0.34 so make your roms are compatible with that. Note that not all games are working... but a large share of them are. I personally really like the Neo Geo games... and the GNGeo2x emulator.

Like you said... put the roms in the rom folder... and make your way to games/MAMEGP2X 4.1/mamegp2x/ and click on mame_gp2x it is actually a .gpe file if you look in the file explorer and it will take you into the main screen at which point you should see your games.
thank you someone finally explained wat the diffrence between cps2 and final alpha

predatorramboxxx said:
thank you someone finally explained wat the diffrence between cps2 and final alpha
Thats the good thing about this community. You ask and you get a good friendly answer.

Back