Sim City Anyone?

sbreckling

Still Fresh
Anyone know if the source code for sim city, or sim city 2000 can be found?

.. that would be sweet.

It can be found and has already been found, but that would breach the lines of illegalness.

Well, if anyone would like to port what one may already posess ;)
EDIT: I own the game, so is the source still illegal?

There's a SimCity clone called LinCity that could probably be ported to the GP2X. It's more along the lines of the original and the graphics are a little dated but it would provide the foundation for a "graphically enhanced" version if someone wanted to do something with it. Someone has to want to port it, though. Why not take a stab at it, sbreckling?

Sim City 2000 is available for the Gameboy Advance, so long as the GP2X can do a good emulation of it, you can get your SimCity Fix that way...

otherwise you'll be stuck with the speccy ver or something!

Sim City 2000 is available for the Gameboy Advance, so long as the GP2X can do a good emulation of it, you can get your SimCity Fix that way...

otherwise you'll be stuck with the speccy ver or something!

Actually SimCity is on the SNES, that would be quite playable even on the GP32 emulator.

Also SimEarth is on the SNES, as well as Utopia and Populous.

You can also get Theme Park, Populous and Dune on the Genesis.

I'm sure there are more, but there's some info on those versions here. No it's not a ROM link, you'll have to use that dastardly unethical Google search engine for that ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww, I was trying not to bring attention to the c64 version. It just makes the ol' commie look bad.

Very bad. Don't even bother looking for it, it is very very bad and probably programmed in basic :p

There's a SimCity clone called LinCity that could probably be ported to the GP2X. It's more along the lines of the original and the graphics are a little dated but it would provide the foundation for a "graphically enhanced" version if someone wanted to do something with it. Someone has to want to port it, though. Why not take a stab at it, sbreckling?

There is a project to make better graphics already named "lincity-ng": http://lincity-ng.berlios.de/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I'd love Transport Tycoon (Source code: http://www.ttdpatch.net/src/ ) BUT I dont think it would work to well on a small screen. Great game though.

Or you can bother to read the site and realise its not TT source, but the source code to PATCH the original game, which we dont have the code for... so umm... try again ;) although TT was one of the first PC games i get mega addicted to and would love it on GP2X...

There is a project to make better graphics already named "lincity-ng": http://lincity-ng.berlios.de/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

LinCity-ng looks awesome, but I don't think it would be very playable at 320x240. The dated graphics of the original are actually well suited to QVGA.

I was playing the original SimCity for SNES on the first-gen SNES emus for the GP32 just fine. No sound and high frameskip were not really a problem for a strategy / simulation game. I've never played LinCity, but the SNES SimCity is probably just about as good.

there is a opttd port for pocket pc which is configured to run on a 320x240 screen.

There is an open sourced version called OpenTTD.
But it would be annoyingly hard to port over i guess (graphics needs to be rescaled.. or does it?).

the scaler we have via the 2D chip would hopefully help... but, it really depends how nice it'd look as a game at 320x240... its default is 640x480 i think... dunno...

i suppose its do-able... anything with code is do-able, its just whether it looks and plays nice thats a whole other matter... dont think speed would be too much of an issue, I'm sure it's original min spec on PC was a 386 or 486 with 512kb graphics card? lol

Back