Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection

Well, my pleas for a nice menu for STPPC2x weren't falling on deaf ears after all. I was recently contacted by juanvvc who has made a fantastic menu for the games that works really well. With his kind permission, I'm going to be including it with the next BETA because it's just so damn useful that within minutes of trying it, I'd modified my whole build environment to use it and put it on my own GP2X to run the games.

So, thank juanvvc for not only giving you a great piece of work but also doing it in such a way that he's been kind enough to provide source for everything included and permission for it to be tied in with STPPC2x. We're going to iron out a few wrinkles first (nothing technical or "wrong", just a few personal preferences of my own) and then it'll become part of the main code.

This will, however, mean that the next version of STPPC2x will have a slightly different directory structure, so you might want to install it into an empty folder and then copy across your INI/SAV files from the older BETA's if you want to keep them. Trust me, though, it'll be worth the effort. I'll post a screenshot when I can get around to it and I'm in the middle of making some a SWF movie to demonstrate the menu, the games and the configuration so that people can see how the newer BETA versions have improved since the first versions.

I *am* still working on the collection!

In fact, there's a lot of exciting stuff going on, but I've been holding off on a release until they are ALL ready. I had a slight hindrance of a few hours work being lost but I've managed to recover or reproduce all of it without any problems (and even fixed a problem or two that I knew existed in the lost code, because I was able to start from scratch!).

Some sneaky news to keep people's interest:

New games. (!)
New menu for all the games.
New folder layout.
Better colours (so you can see elements clearer).
Interface cleanup - unsolveable games tell you so, games that can't enter numbers won't let you, made the first load of the in-game menu much quicker etc.

The current release-stopper is F-200 compatibility - I have an accurate way to reproduce all the issues seen with the F-200 touchscreen but it takes a lot of time to test each revision. Also, I'm holding back to see what's going on with the new model F-200's with regards to video/touchscreen co-ordinates being different. I still haven't fixed mines, either, and my patience is wearing out with it.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get a release out soon, even if it doesn't have F-200 touchscreen compatibility. So hang on. I'll get there.

Sneak previews:

STPPC2xMenu.png

slide.png

sokoban.png

maze3d.png

Back