• Yes I would use this

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • No I would not use this

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

Nardella

I have an idea for a simple anti-theft app.

Code:
Run app

If charger or USB cable not connected play loud noise

Continue playing noise until charger is connected or password is entered

If password is entered while charger is connected app is closed

Obviously this would not work against all theft attempts but it will work against some.

your app will at bare minimum requiere to be started on boot, else a reboot (aka remove the battery, which rather easy) and problem fixed...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardreset Pandora before taking off mains, reflash, have new Pandora...

Even if you start it at boot, someone can simply take out the battery, steal it and reflash.

I have my pandora rigged to load a web page every 5 minutes, if the contents changes to "missing", it creates an ssh-tunnel allowing me to ssh into it, no matter what firewalls are in the way.

And maybe the battery slot must be locked in some way... without the battery there's no alarm at all...

EDIT: ninja'd by mcobit :ph34r:

I had something like this running on my old machine, something called Adeona or something? It doesn't do anything to lock down the machine, but it gives out a tracking id any time it goes online that makes it much easier to track down where your machine physically is.

As a suggestion, instead of just creating an annoyance for the thief, why not make it so it completely locks down everything unless a password is entered (like a BIOS pw in your standard desktop pcs)

-if powered on without a certain combination of keypresses, activate SOS Pandora

-slow down parts the system, and/or run a game, make a diversion to gain time

-also try to save as much power as possible

-keylogger on

-record with microphone ? unlikely on NAND-only. On SD card with space, no led write indicator. High compression codec.

-get hardware ID, like MAC adress etc...

-connect to any network available

-if no network, wifi on without led, auto aircrack like crazy to get a wifi access

-get ip adress, if on local network, traceroute, www.whatismyip.com/ or any method to get wan adress

-geolocate

-send periodically mails containing these informations

-send periodically pings to selected servers

-maybe try some bluetooth trick

-when powering off, just simulates it

-also simulates a reboot

I have my pandora rigged to load a web page every 5 minutes, if the contents changes to "missing", it creates an ssh-tunnel allowing me to ssh into it, no matter what firewalls are in the way.

most anti-theft solutions would not work because a reflash would counter most solutions, making a audio alarm with also entice a person to want to reflash/break into the device, same thing with login passwords as well.

there's an andoid solution that I have on my phone

http://www.androidlost.com/

it's a stealth service that remains dormant until you send out a message saying the device is missing or stolen

it will then go in and either turn up your volume and make a noise to help find it, or you can turn on your gps and find where it has wondered off to down to the accuracy of the gps. You can do other stuff like lock incomming calls and sms's to only certian numbers turn on camera etc etc

however the pandora doesn't have most of this, but it does have wifi, and with stuff like google maps you can find your location via wifi/network connection. I'm not sure where it gets your informtion, possibly your service provider, but last I checked it was spot on able to pinpoint my location to my address once I connected.

a silent service and a unlocked login might be superior to this as it won't rise suspicion and you might have a better chance of finding your device or at a minimum remotely wipe your information and personal data stored on the device. As much as forcing a user to reflash a device, your sd cards inside don't useally have passwords unless you encrypt your card/files

EDIT: keylogging as stated by linux-swat would be a good idea too, microphone are good ideas. you can also make a schedule to wake the device connect to any available wifi network at a certain time and send that information like 2am or something and turn it's self off after data is sent

I've read a report a couple of years ago that putting pictures of your children in your wallet will significantly (±50% iirc) raise the chance of getting it back in case you lose it. Doing something similar with your Pandora should have a similar effect, though it obviously won't protect against theft... But just losing it will probably happen more often that getting it stolen.

The hardware volume control might present a problem as well.

Guys, all this does is make the Pandora scream when it gets unplugged. This could be circumvented by turning down the volume. The purpose is for the act of theft drawing attention. Not to disable the Pandora after theft or something.

Guys, all this does is make the Pandora scream when it gets unplugged. This could be circumvented by turning down the volume. The purpose is for the act of theft drawing attention. Not to disable the Pandora after theft or something.

But how would this app help against theft from say, your back pocket, bookbag, or other non-USB-tethered location? My thinking on the matter is, if I'm somewhere and my pandy is plugged in via USB, chances are I'm lose to whatever it's plugged in to and therefore not likely to be stolen.

I might use the simple app you described, when I'll have to recharge my pandora during the night in a "public" place...

military service come to my mind... unfortunately i have only 1 session this summer (YAY!!!) and I'm afraid I won't have my pandora before this... doh...

A security app would be working on treating the theft symptom instead of preventing theft entirely.

Ideas for prevention:

• Work out, not many people want to steal from someone who can tear them in half. It's also good for your health.
  • "Wear out" your device. Pretty things get stolen more than ugly things. I think I'll paint mine. =)
  • Learn better personal security habits. Don't set it down to go get a coffee.
  • Carry/store it more quietly. A worn out little case stored securely in a pocket or pack is quieter than a shining stainless steel briefcase.

For an app to work, it has to be stealthy enough that the person wouldn't immediately re-flash the device. Strangely, this means that screen saver, bootup or login passwords are actually bad ideas.

Combined with some wardriving automation, it could reach out for net connections to try to call for help.

I've already seen the video ashcloud linked. Very topical. And hilarious, it should be watched. One of the takeaway lessons is for you to write down your serial number and any other details which can prove you're the owner. If your device turns up in a bus station's lost and found, you can reclaim it easily.

Heck, write a message on it. "If found, return to <name>, <phone number>, reward of $50 offered. Thank you!" Sometimes it's not stolen but just lost.

-if powered on without a certain combination of keypresses, activate SOS Pandora

-slow down parts the system, and/or run a game, make a diversion to gain time

-also try to save as much power as possible

-keylogger on

-record with microphone ? unlikely on NAND-only. On SD card with space, no led write indicator. High compression codec.

-get hardware ID, like MAC adress etc...

-connect to any network available

-if no network, wifi on without led, auto aircrack like crazy to get a wifi access

-get ip adress, if on local network, traceroute, www.whatismyip.com/ or any method to get wan adress

-geolocate

-send periodically mails containing these informations

-send periodically pings to selected servers

-maybe try some bluetooth trick

-when powering off, just simulates it

-also simulates a reboot

You might want to shrink a network admin so small that he can live in an SD card slot.

:)

WHat about this ?

A service that runs in the background (invisible if you do not know about it) and which sends information of the IP address used by the thief, as well as a keylogger -> all of this being transparently transferred via a FTP of your choice (as soon as he connects to the net).

That way, you may not protect your content but at least you could find out where is the thief (geolocalization based on IP, it it works) and contact the police or appropriate jurisdiction.

Do you really want to install spyware on your Pandora to prevent theft? I prefer the lowtech solution: just keep it with you at all times.

Bothering to make your tracking programs hidden in a Linux OS? Worrying about the thief re-flashing the firmware after they steal it?

I don't think that many of the people stealing hardware non-personally can even operate a Windows computer. If it doesn't instantly share all of your secrets with them they'll probably pawn it, they probably would anyways though. But having a fancy confirmable signature under the battery sounds like a great idea.

Edit: I typo'd.

Back