Size Comparison

___

Advanced Member
Okay, lots of people were wondering about the form factor and actual size of the pandora. I received a parcel from gbax today with a gp32 blu (yes, I am braggin B) ) and it also contained a cardboard dummy flyer of the pandora giving a first impression how tiny this system will actually be.

For more information about anything else, please visit: http://pandora.bluwiki.com

Here is the picture:

2127299016_06e6722a46.jpg

Please note: This is a render as are any other pictures of the pandora on the net. Colour, button and keyboard layout are not yet decided on. EvilDragon just stated, they are still working on the keyboard to improve usability, also placement of the controls has not yet been finalized so stop your whining!

well yes, i doubt it could be as pocketable as a gameboy micro... but with the clamshell design and it being hopefully as slim as the nds slim, we might be able to pocket it anyway.

not really hard at all. they are set apart as far as on the old psx controller, I actually checked this. So it really isn't difficult, works perfect.

I showed a pic of myself holding a repair case that happened to be almost exactly the right size, but nobody seems to have picked up on that.

Just in case someone wants to see -

That's very slightly smaller, 128x74x23mm

This is what convinced me it is fine :) :D

xnopasaranx: what's written on the flyer? Any chance of a close-up shot of the screen? :)

Oh the text on the flyer is nothing special. I don't think I can get a close up of it but I can just type it out:

Welcome to OpenPandora.

The first fully open ultra mobile gaming and internet device,
with laptop functionality and mobile phone battery life.

ARM Cortex-A8 CPU with 1Gb of RAM
800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD
OpenGL 2.0 compliant 3D hardware
Wifi 802.11b/g & Dual SDHC card slots
Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls
43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
TV output & High speed USB Host

What you are holding is the actual size, and the price is just as small.

Ready to replace your laptop?

Spring 2008.

OpenPandora.org

So xnopasaranx, or anyone else who have received the little mockup unit, do you guys find yourself holding the cardboard cut out and wishing it was the real thing? :)

well the screen size is the exact same. So you can probably imagine yourself. It should be about the same size for each half of the unit (clamshell remember?).

@dewc: God yes... that thing is amazing.

xnopasaranx said:
So you can probably imagine yourself.

Hmmm... then all pads seem to be placed perfectly ever for my relatively small hands :unsure: But column with "select" will inevitably become a battlefield between left and right thumb. Anyway this moment on I'll consider getting this thing when it's out B) If craigx ships to our backward country.
I also hope Pandora gets a bit lighter than zen vision which can serve as a perfect blunt instrument for murder (30 Gb HDD ffs). :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
GunPei2X said:
Looking at it in that view, the keyboard doesn't seem like it's in the way at all.
Yes, from the top view can you see how the staggered keypad allows a nice open space for your thumb to rest free from buttons underneath? Your thumb will follow that same diagonal path and that is the exact reasoning for the layout as it is. ;)

I am sure this is mentioned in the wiki or 'the big thread' but I am can't be arsed looking through all that stuff right now - sorry! ;)

Does this have shoulder buttons? If so, I can imagine Quake 2 using one analogue for mouse look, the other for movement and a shoulder button for shooting. The size looks ideal, and the top down view gives a better appreciation of what this might be than the view on the main Pandora site. If this has shoulder buttons I am sold! :D

sataniC Virus said:
I am sure this is mentioned in the wiki or 'the big thread' but I am can't be arsed looking through all that stuff right now - sorry! ;)

Does this have shoulder buttons? If so, I can imagine Quake 2 using one analogue for mouse look, the other for movement and a shoulder button for shooting. The size looks ideal, and the top down view gives a better appreciation of what this might be than the view on the main Pandora site. If this has shoulder buttons I am sold! :D
The current design has two shoulder buttons in total as far as I know.

Peter R said:
sataniC Virus said:

The current design has two shoulder buttons in total as far as I know.

Excellent, thanks! Hope they make it through to the final product.

Back