Skinning Lemonboy: Font

chickendung

TO THE TRENTON TAR PITS!
Website
i currently do not have a website.com
I downloaded the JoJo SDL timings copy of Lemonboy which does show some improvement over previous releases, but the sound is still bad.
Anyway, I decided I would make a little nostalgic theme for the application:
about.png:
0a0e629aed.png

menu.png/menus.png:
a2ea9cd24e.png

selector.png:
733299b8e4.png

Besides the selector having issues with pink pixels showing up(which should be transparent), I am having trouble with finding another font file at 582 x 29 that is simply black and white characters. I have tried overlapping the characters in the original and then deleting the background(but keeping the black tics), but the new characters seem to absorb some of the pink coloring when I fill in the new background and it shows up in the final product. Therefore, I think it would be best if I just got a new font file in the correct dimensions, perhaps typewriter font, or something else that resembles the Game Boy style. However, if there is a way to make fonts into an dimension such as the one used for Lemonboy, then it would be great if you would point me in the right direction. Thanks! :D

Also, feedback on the theme would be great! ;)

Your theme is really nice. Some comments:

- You don't need to show my name in the about screen since it is not "my" emulator any more. Use your name for the art and Jojo/Pickle as authors.
- "pink line" in selector.png: actually, the color in the upper-left corner is the transparent color, no matter whether it is pink, yellow or blue. In my Gp2x your selector.png works fine, no pink line is shown.
- Font: the transparent color for the font file is also the upper-left corner. Characters must have a height of 14 pixels and any number of pixels for width. Any font with a height of 12 pixels will work, but remember using two additional pixels in vertical space for a total of 14 pixels. There are two font colors, dark and bright. That's an image of 28 lines and an additional line for widths for a total of 29 pixels. This last line marks with a black pixel the start of each character. Characters are all ASCII from ASCII 32 to ASCII 95 (both included) and an additional character for a directory icon.

A quick example with a Sans font (spaces between letters need some ajustements):

menufont.png

juanvvc said:
Your theme is really nice. Some comments:

- You don't need to show my name in the about screen since it is not "my" emulator any more. Use your name for the art and Jojo/Pickle as authors.
- "pink line" in selector.png: actually, the color in the upper-left corner is the transparent color, no matter whether it is pink, yellow or blue. In my Gp2x your selector.png works fine, no pink line is shown.
- Font: the transparent color for the font file is also the upper-left corner. Characters must have a height of 14 pixels and any number of pixels for width. Any font with a height of 12 pixels will work, but remember using two additional pixels in vertical space for a total of 14 pixels. There are two font colors, dark and bright. That's an image of 28 lines and an additional line for widths for a total of 29 pixels. This last line marks with a black pixel the start of each character. Characters are all ASCII from ASCII 32 to ASCII 95 (both included) and an additional character for a directory icon.

A quick example with a Sans font (spaces between letters need some ajustements):

menufont.png

Thanks for the feedback and the example! That is just what I needed. I'll change the about picture and the font and post the update. I'm glad you like the theme! I was thinking about doing a few Game Boy Pocket themes as well, a few different colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the final version:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,50,254

Thanks to Juanvvc for the font help!

EDIT: Not REALLY the final version. It will take a while until the update is accepted. I fixed all of the glitches I noticed after uploading it the first time...

Back