Smart Media Probs And Pc Link

wildcat

I have a 6 in 1 card reader that supports CF/SM/SD/MMC/MS but when I put in a smart media card it just says I need to insert a card. IS there something I am doing wrong?

Have Windows XP and can't get PC Link to work.Where can I get that other program instead for file transferring?

first make sure its the rightway round(simple mistake but one i have made quite often) with my reader this is metal side uppermost try it both ways it should go in slightly further one way because of the cutoff corner
or you might need to format the card
i dont use xp but with win2000 you can do this in control panel -administrative tools
or just use a digital camera if you have one
hope this helps

I don't know if this will work for you but it worked for me - Try exploring the other flash drives and not just the smartmedia one. My 6-in-1 now, for some reason, detects my SMC in the ms/ms pro drive.

Try what Azure said, As i have a 6 in 1 card reader and have 4 drive icons available when the reader is pluged in. Try clicking each icon in turn and see what happens.

Trooper

As I said in my "unknown error" thread I have an SMC reader and Win XP and mine does exactly the same thing. it will recognize the drive but not the card inside it, I cant even format it because it's under the impression nothing is in it.

Exactly Alpha2. It doesn't even know there's a card there. I have clicked on all the icons as suggested and tried the card in both ways and still nothing. The cards work fine in the GP32. Is it Windows XP that's the problem?

I have a feeling it might be what was the last windows update you did? I'm thinking something in one of them might have fuxxor'd something (I'm starting to think between the week the computer recognized the gp32 correctly and the week it didn't that might be one of the things I did that cause it to not work now)

I swear any other program you have to patch twice a month you'd just dump. ...effing Micro$oft. :angry:

Well it worked in 98 and no longer in XP so I don't know what to do.

And PC Link no longer recognises my GP32 so I can't download more programs to a card and don't have gpdrive installed. I have PC Link 1.03. Is there a different version I can use? I had no probs in 98

maybe you got the same problem i do: i also got a 6 in one cardreader, when i insert a smartmediacard, sometimes it accepts the card, most of the times it makes bad contact, and it doesn't ork, before i can actually use my card i have to insert it several times, with a lot of force (not that much that i can damage it, but still), and sometimes it works, sometimes from the first attempt, sometimes after 10 attempts....
haven't got such troubles with my smc reader that only reads smc....

I've put it in and taken it out so much my SMC reader could join a whore union. I'd open the thing up and press the card right to the contacts if I could but it has now screws and I think the only want to open it would be to break it.

I recently found out my USB Flash Watch is slightly broken. After resisting the urge to kill the culprit (surprisingly, not me), I found out there WAS a way to make it work, making it only "slightly broken". I needed to push the USB cable back into the watch itself (the origin). That probably won't help your problem, but we're running out of options here anyway.

I own a 6-in-1 card reader made by "trendware". It also craps out like yours does. The only way I have found to fix it is by blowing on the yellow metal contacts and rubbing them gently with my a fabric (usually my shirt). This works 99% of the time. The other times, I get frustrated and try it again the next day to find it mysteriously works now. The SMC reader (in the 6-1) is by far more sensitive to whatever phenenom this is (mostly likely dust) then the GP32, where I almost never have these types of problems unless the SMC itself is totally dead.

I'm not sure what to say about it working in 98 but not XP. Did you "upgrade" to XP or do a clean install of XP after deleting 98? You might still have some "old" 98 drivers in there if you tried to upgrade over it. Check Device Manager (System->Hardware tab->Device Manager button) for these types of conflicts.

I've been reading up on google and there seems to be somthing that might explain SOME of our problems.

There's some sort of bug that causes USB failure if you unplug something during sleep state or something. they've mentioned a few ways to fix it but I still havent seen a change and I cant use my GP32, on top of that now I cant even uplaod music to my Rio MP3 player!

DAMN YOU WIN XP, AND BILL GATES. :angry:

Bummer :( After several hours of PC Link not functioning properly I managed to get it working long enough to install gpdrive on two cards so I can now download stuff onto those and use on gp32. My card reader however still refuses to read cards.

Alpha2 posted on Jul 26 2004 at 02:05 PM said:
DAMN YOU WIN XP, AND BILL GATES. :angry:
you folks will never learn! this is what i've been saying for-EVER! get a mac. trust me, its not like theyre more expensive than PCs, they dont have these problems because it only recognises a disk when its IN the drive, not passively like WinBLOWS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back