Smartq V5

I've been playing 1080P movies on my SmartQ since last year. 8GB bluray rips from an external storage. They play 100% but have issues with subtitles. You'll be surprised what a good DSP will do. I tried some equal quality rips who had performance problems. 12GB+.

You could try formatting your SD card as EXT2/3 I never tried it, but my external HDD is EXT3. I've got a 32GB SD card on FAT32, but I never tried to put a HD movie on it. Mostly Android games and xvid movies and tv series. I had season 2 True Blood on there as 720P and it all works.

Edit: btw, the SmartQ V7/V5 has a mali200 GPU which is equal if not better than the SGX350 in the Pandora. The device is let down by the ARM11 CPU. (Oh, also the drivers are not used for 3D, just OpenMAX in Android and some instantiations in WinCE. The movie player does not need the GPU, just the DSP.

icurafu said:
I've been playing 1080P movies on my SmartQ since last year. 8GB bluray rips from an external storage. They play 100% but have issues with subtitles. You'll be surprised what a good DSP will do. I tried some equal quality rips who had performance problems. 12GB+.

You could try formatting your SD card as EXT2/3 I never tried it, but my external HDD is EXT3. I've got a 32GB SD card on FAT32, but I never tried to put a HD movie on it. Mostly Android games and xvid movies and tv series. I had season 2 True Blood on there as 720P and it all works.

Edit: btw, the SmartQ V7/V5 has a mali200 GPU which is equal if not better than the SGX350 in the Pandora. The device is let down by the ARM11 CPU. (Oh, also the drivers are not used for 3D, just OpenMAX in Android and some instantiations in WinCE. The movie player does not need the GPU, just the DSP.

lulzfish - there's lots of Chinese pmp's nowadays that can output 1080P via HDMI.

Icurafu - thanks for the info about external storage! I forgot the Smartq V5 had USB on the go. That would be a potential solution - thanks!

I appreciate all the answers to my questions. I'm almost certain to buy one now. I just had one more question - can you use your wiimote, or a bluetooth mouse - as a remote control while you're playing 1080P movie rips on your TV? I didn't know if the TV Out disabled the player controls. It'd be sweet to be able to use a bluetooth device as a remote control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a cool device and stands out with both full linux and android support. Bluetooth and usb on the go support are nice too. I really don't know of a comparable device in the $180 price range.

Sd cards up to 32gb should work. Mine is 16gb and I haven't had a problem.

icurafu: How did you get a wiimote to work with this? I was able to find some wiimote utilities but I was only able to get as far as using it like a mouse and having the dpad get recognized. Any utility to let it get used like a game pad or reconfigure what the buttons do?

This doesn't seem to be much of a gaming device so if thats your main priority this might not be for you. On the latest android firmware some games work pretty well and there are some linux games that work well like the gnome-games pack and wesnoth but still I consider games more of a bonus. If anyone knows any more games that work well with just the touchscreen that would be cool.

jbrodack said:
Its a cool device and stands out with both full linux and android support. Bluetooth and usb on the go support are nice too. I really don't know of a comparable device in the $180 price range.

Sd cards up to 32gb should work. Mine is 16gb and I haven't had a problem.

icurafu: How did you get a wiimote to work with this? I was able to find some wiimote utilities but I was only able to get as far as using it like a mouse and having the dpad get recognized. Any utility to let it get used like a game pad or reconfigure what the buttons do?

This doesn't seem to be much of a gaming device so if thats your main priority this might not be for you. On the latest android firmware some games work pretty well and there are some linux games that work well like the gnome-games pack and wesnoth but still I consider games more of a bonus. If anyone knows any more games that work well with just the touchscreen that would be cool.

Well, i used cwiid. I guess you're using that if you started. Anyway, there is no easy GUI for reconfiguring keys. I just have a bash script on my desktop to edit the config file. from there, I just modify it to work with my game. I usually have the usual suspects commented out.

Code:
sudo apt-get install libcwiid1 lswm wmgui wminput

and the config is here...

Code:
/usr/local/etc/cwiid/wminpu

You can get all the devices working with that, and allow yourself to control the cursor; just make sure you set the cursor to visible.

Oh, numpty physics is supposed to be grand. :) Never had time to try it.

I also enjoy scummvm. :D I was playing about a dozen games before, but I got bored due to the pain to get things working. Lords of War kinda works if you can move the window around. Urquan is great except when you get into combat and the gravity throws a tonne of floats at you. Kills the performance. I wish the GP2X enhancements were rolled back into the main code. It had a fix for that. (worked on 266MHz)

Icurafu, I apologize for repeating - but can you use your wiimote to control video playback like a remote?

i guess so. The wiimote controls the cursor and the touchscreen can access a HUD on the video output. So you can do the pause and play FF RW in movie playback, or set buttons to be the hotkey. (If they are setup). Anyway, you can do about anything if you put the time into it. In reality, I never tried but I can see where you are coming from.

Half the movies I watch has subs, so I discounted using it for a media player replacement.

Thanks icurafu! I was uncertain if a Human Interface Device (like a mouse or keyboard) was disabled when playing video per video out. I appreciate knowing that that's not the case. I have a bluetooth mouse with HID drivers, and I'd love to be able to use it as a remote while watching movies. It sounds like it would be possible.

Thanks icurafu I didn't know where the config file was. Have to try that.

Yeah, subtitles don't work so well on the smartq for some reason.

I tried scummvm but was annoyed that full screen didn't work so I didn't use it much.

Yes, numpty physics is really cool. It runs surprisingly smooth on my smartq. I downloaded a version file where the buttons on the smartq were already configured which made things really convenient to change levels and such. Unfortunately the game suffers from random crashes, but its actually not that big a deal since you can just go to whatever level you want.

jbrodack said:
I tried scummvm but was annoyed that full screen didn't work
Could you elaborate this statement?
Was it due to ScummVM, the OS or performance?
We're talking about Linux right?

ATM I'm desperately searching for some kind of sketching/media/eReader/internet tablet. I'm pretty hooked by the Fujitsu Siemens Stylistic like this one. But the later dual core models are really expensive. They'd have that nice digitizer screen though, not a normal touch screen. Like a Wacom Tablet. And I'm absolutely hooked by the possibilities of a Wacom Cintiq like he's using anyway. Since I own a standard Wacom digitizer tablet and am just not content with looking at the screen but painting at the pad.
Since I won't be able to afford neither such a nice FSC Stylistic nor a Cintiq I forget all my artistic needs and settle for a media slate. Which makes my heart cry since sketching will suck on it. And there's the SmartQ V7 which would be just the right size and OK'ish price range. Alas Youtube videos have shown that it has inferior performance, as mentioned above.

If it's true that the Mali GPU thingy is already fully working in Android, the video I've seen does seem very choppy for using hardware. Watch the video. /Edit seems there's more to expect in Android performance-wise since it's a beta version.

The upcoming Archos 7 home tablet looks like a very interesing alternative with an ARM 9 at 600MHz and an expected price of 149€ and accordingly 179$. /Edit: Archos 7 home tablet

Forgot about this thread for a while.

Scummvm full screen didn't work right because the controls were unresponsive. It only worked right for me in a window.

The big news for the smartq V5/V7 is the release of the android 2.1 preview. It has its bugs and issues but is pretty impressive and has changed some people's opinion on the device. I like linux and love having a small device with a full desktop but sometimes its nice to have a simpler OS that you can use for more entertainment purposes. Android fills that well with a lot of cool games and such. Has live wallpaper support and most things that android 2.1 supports. Not everything works perfect but many apps work as they should. Market still doesn't work but you can always use alternative markets like slideme or just download .apk files of the internet.

This might actually be a better device than that archos home tablet for some considering that the archos is stuck with android 1.5.

With linux and android I'm very happy with my smartq V5. Its the best "open" device that I've come across.

Hey guys, i'm damn late, just got a smartq v5 but WindowsCE doesn't boot, the official website is down and other driver websites don't work anymore. do anyone of you have the process/drivers for : firmware update + windows CE reinstall ? :/ bit lost here
Post automatically merged:

Hey guys, i'm damn late, just got a smartq v5 but WindowsCE doesn't boot, the official website is down and other driver websites don't work anymore. do anyone of you have the process/drivers for : firmware update + windows CE reinstall ? :/ bit lost here

Back