Smc To Xd Converter Problems

bibblesplat

Still Fresh
hey all

I just got a 128 XD card that runs 3.3volts and works on my card reader on my PC. With losing so many SMC's on my GP32 I thought I would have to go down another route so I opted for the SMC adapter to XD. THe adapter works on my PC with the card but not in my GP32. Am I doing anything wrong? I am getting a little disheartend with my GP32 and its really quite close to selling or binning!!!

..and before anybody asks, no, I am not going to throw it your way ;)

i think that i heard something that they work :) but only up to 128mb !!!

Hf with your converter :) and dont sell your GP !!! i have my SMC`s for quite a while now and none of them broke cos of my GP !

Well lets hope the converter works a little bit better :)

hmmm...I was under the impression that there was no way on earth this would ever work...

Have you tried using XD cards greater than 128meg? what happens?

hmmm...I was under the impression that there was no way on earth this would ever work...

Have you tried using XD cards greater than 128meg? what happens?

It has been discuss 1000 times before, Use the search function. It will never work in a million years, Blah, Blah, Blah. j/k :p

But seriously, There is a limitation in the GP32 (bios, i think) that only allows it to see the first 128mb of any type of flash card (GPLinux not included).

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
i didn' t want to ask the question, but while we are here....
the bios read the first 128 Mb, but is it possible to make a bios which will allow to choose a kind of slot of 128Mb on the xd card which will be 1Gb ? then you can have 8*128 Mb on your card but we won't be able to read file bigger than 128 Mg.
It's just a question....... :unsure:

the bios read the first 128 Mb, but is it possible to make a bios which will allow to choose a kind of slot of 128Mb on the xd card which will be 1Gb ? then you can have 8*128 Mb on your card but we won't be able to read file bigger than 128 Mg.
Whos gonna make that.
And besides cards over 128mb need 5v and the GP32 doesn't supply that, so the main problem is a hardware one not a software one.

Whos gonna make that.
And besides cards over 128mb need 5v and the GP32 doesn't supply that, so the main problem is a hardware one not a software one.

Couldn't the XD converter just have a transistor in to up the voltage?

Whos gonna make that.

Up the voltage ?

You mean lower the voltage requirements, As the GP32 can only supply 3.3 volts without adding extra power from somewhere else.

Trooper

Whos gonna make that.

It's all been thought through and discussed a lot. There's a thread somewhere, that squidge gave a thorough explanation as to why above 128 meg cards will not be read through the card slot.

No I mean up the voltage it gives out by putting a transitor in the adapter. That way you don't need to open up the GP32 or risk damaging it.

Okay. It's easy:

The problem is not the power.
You could always use external power.

The problem is not the BIOS.
Whereas it only accesses 128MB, it could be patched.

The problem is the SMC driver chip.
It only supports 128MB.

So unless somebody changes the chip in his GP32, it'll never work.

The variety of ARM9 GP32 uses has built in SMC accessing functions, this is no doubt what it uses. So there is no SMC driver chip, its built in to the CPU.

The variety of ARM9 GP32 uses has built in SMC accessing functions, this is no doubt what it uses. So there is no SMC driver chip, its built in to the CPU.

Yeah, well, I know that, the driver chip is implemented in the CPU, still it exists somehow... ;)

The only problem I had is that the casing on the coverter meant the contacts never er, made contact in the GP32. As for a 256mb card or higher, I already knew of the bios problem hence why I got a 128mb card. Also the majority of Olympus cards that can go up to 1GB do run at 3.3 volts but to be perfectly honest I am now happy that I my GP32 isn't killing SMC's anymore now i have the converter. As for the technicalities of the bios and ARM9 CPU, well thats for all you other guys to argue over, I love my GP cos I can play my old PC Engine games ;) Still, this is fun and makes good reading :D

Back