So, how about gcc?

marktuson

My replacement Pandora arrived today, and the WiFi works, so I'm happy.

I got it on the network at college with no problems, and installed gcc with opkg. Cool, no problems. However, gcc isn't there, even though opkg insists I installed it. So I issued ls /usr/bin/*gcc and got this: /usr/bin/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc . Cool. I wrote a 'hello world' program to see if it works, and issued arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc a.c at the prompt. Result: arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory . So, I tried opkg install cc1, to no avail.

The C compiler is broken or rubbish, C++ won't install, and neither will make. Not happy.

So, here's my question: can I please have a C/C++ compiler, preferably gcc, that'll run out-of-the-box on my Pandora?

Argh, who chose Angstrom? Why?

installing things straight from the angstrom repo is in most cases a no no. Your going to run out of nand.

There are threads they describe setting up a native development environment on an sd card, thats your best option.

search the forum for 'bollocks' you'll soon find the thread about compiling that way

and if you're serious about it you'll probably want a seperate dev install on an sd card

if you really hate angstrom, install arch, no one forces you to use it

Thanks to my suggestion in this thread: Compilers in a PND, fraemon is currently working on a c/c++ compiler that you can just copy onto your pandora in a PND file. He said he's also working on getting useful libraries such as SDL and OpenGL ES packaged up with it. Hopefully that should work for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
search the forum for 'bollocks' you'll soon find the thread about compiling that way

and if you're serious about it you'll probably want a seperate dev install on an sd card

I want Debian, but that doesn't work either. I asked about the problem, and nobody helped me. Specifically, I want Debian, working with PNDs as Angstrom does.

And I still want to know why on Earth OPT opted (see what I did there?) for Angstrom, and such a tiny NAND. Like I've said before, the tech that's around would allow a NAND that's far bigger, like 4GiB or so.

But yeah, I'm trying for Debian, but not holding my breath, because it simply won't boot. Can't there an 'official' alternative in Debian?

Thanks to my suggestion in this thread: Compilers in a PND, fraemon is currently working on a c/c++ compiler that you can just copy onto your pandora in a PND file. He said he's also working on getting useful libraries such as SDL and OpenGL ES packaged up with it. Hopefully that should work for you.
I've been keeping an eye on that thread. Nothing appears to be happening.

OK, hell with it. I'll compile and bootstrap Debian myself.

I want Debian, but that doesn't work either. I asked about the problem, and nobody helped me. Specifically, I want Debian, working with PNDs as Angstrom does.

And I still want to know why on Earth OPT opted (see what I did there?) for Angstrom, and such a tiny NAND. Like I've said before, the tech that's around would allow a NAND that's far bigger, like 4GiB or so.

But yeah, I'm trying for Debian, but not holding my breath, because it simply won't boot. Can't there an 'official' alternative in Debian?

Well there is a Debian SD image floating around, I had fairly good luck getting it to boot.. but I found it kind sluggish compared to Angstrom.

The NAND has more to do with that it's built into the Ti OMAP processor, when they bought these, it actually was the largest memory size available, it's actually double the size of the Beagleboard's NAND which is still 256megs even with the new version. I don't think Ti has any OMAP3 processors above a gig, I haven't checked in a while so don't quote me on it.

Well there is a Debian SD image floating around, I had fairly good luck getting it to boot.. but I found it kind sluggish compared to Angstrom.

The NAND has more to do with that it's built into the Ti OMAP processor, when they bought these, it actually was the largest memory size available, it's actually double the size of the Beagleboard's NAND which is still 256megs even with the new version. I don't think Ti has any OMAP3 processors above a gig, I haven't checked in a while so don't quote me on it.
Debian SD had an issue with the console when I tried it, just froze.

Ooops, sorry. Still playing around with the PND. Progress at the minute: the PND can very nearly get torpor's PandoraWaveBreaker compiled (it all works: the standard C, the SDL, the openGLES, I'm just missing some symlinks). Realistic release date for it is next weekend (I work fulltime).

If you want gcc from OPKG, please see the wiki: http://pandorawiki.org/Compile_directly_on_the_Pandora#Torpor.27s_way

There's quite a few other things to download (gcc-symlinks lets you run gcc instead of arm-angstom-linux-gcc; cpp gives you cc1; g++ gives you the C++ compiler etc).

I use a Debian 'extend' still, which is darned handy ;)

Angstrom was chosen for very good reasons, and is not a bad thing; over time we've not kept up with the Angstrom distro so pandora is harder over tiem to use those packages.. for awhile it was as easy as 'opkg install gcc', if you had the NAND space for it (which is questionable.) The problem we have right now is that we're out of sync too much with Angstrom, and the next major firmware will resolve that issue.

Certainly, you can help work on the next firmware, or (like stuckie, the gentoo guys, the arch fellow, and so on) roll your own (its actually not so hard, just tedious and time consuming.)

The real answer to your next question 'why isn't this all ready already, with a nice bow on top' is .. theres only a couple guys in OP and they're _building_ it; the actual firmware is made by a few of us volunteers in spare time, and we're spread very thin and only a couple of us; fortunately, its all open source and all community driven, anda bunch of folks have jumped in to help... but obviously maintaining any sort of fiermware is lots of work,a nd lots of people are needed.

So sign up to the dev mailing lists and see if you can help out; its pretty stalled right now ,.. since we're really talking about say 6 or 7 people at most (with only a couple major contributors), and RL is impacting most of us ..

jeff

edit; I tried stuickies "1.0.5" debian squeeze build, and it worked pretty well; I found 1.0.3/4 had unstable wifi (surprising, given he's using official kernels or build from same tree anyway), but 1.0.5 seemed solid for me .. but the GRIP business (or at least /etc/apt/sources.list) seemed funky so some stuff (like gcc) were borked for me. I didn't have time to fiddle though.) Still, I find stuckie's Debian progress to be quite encouraging and impressive :) You coudl follow his instructions to tailor your own, or work with him on it.

Ooops, sorry. Still playing around with the PND. Progress at the minute: the PND can very nearly get torpor's PandoraWaveBreaker compiled (it all works: the standard C, the SDL, the openGLES, I'm just missing some symlinks). Realistic release date for it is next weekend (I work fulltime).

That is very cool fraemon! I'm going to have to start looking at the WaveBreaker code to get a headstart.

I use a Debian 'extend' still, which is darned handy ;)

Angstrom was chosen for very good reasons, and is not a bad thing; over time we've not kept up with the Angstrom distro so pandora is harder over tiem to use those packages.. for awhile it was as easy as 'opkg install gcc', if you had the NAND space for it (which is questionable.) The problem we have right now is that we're out of sync too much with Angstrom, and the next major firmware will resolve that issue.

Certainly, you can help work on the next firmware, or (like stuckie, the gentoo guys, the arch fellow, and so on) roll your own (its actually not so hard, just tedious and time consuming.)

The real answer to your next question 'why isn't this all ready already, with a nice bow on top' is .. theres only a couple guys in OP and they're _building_ it; the actual firmware is made by a few of us volunteers in spare time, and we're spread very thin and only a couple of us; fortunately, its all open source and all community driven, anda bunch of folks have jumped in to help... but obviously maintaining any sort of fiermware is lots of work,a nd lots of people are needed.

So sign up to the dev mailing lists and see if you can help out; its pretty stalled right now ,.. since we're really talking about say 6 or 7 people at most (with only a couple major contributors), and RL is impacting most of us ..

jeff

edit; I tried stuickies "1.0.5" debian squeeze build, and it worked pretty well; I found 1.0.3/4 had unstable wifi (surprising, given he's using official kernels or build from same tree anyway), but 1.0.5 seemed solid for me .. but the GRIP business (or at least /etc/apt/sources.list) seemed funky so some stuff (like gcc) were borked for me. I didn't have time to fiddle though.) Still, I find stuckie's Debian progress to be quite encouraging and impressive :) You coudl follow his instructions to tailor your own, or work with him on it.
OK. Well, with Summer coming, I'll be happy to learn and try to help get something running. But I need to learn, first.

You need gcc-symlinks also. Use the bollocks method, and you'll get a fully working environment.

Also, its WakeBreaker, not WaveBreaker. ;) Link here for the interested:

http://w1xer.at/pandora/

It compiles on my Pandora with build-environment installed from opkg quite nicely, and is a very lovely way to get stuff done.

WakeBreaker?

/me pictures seeing a line of mourning people carrying a casket, while the player revs up to as high a speed as possible and then tries bowl over as many mourners as possible.

Player being in a giant slingshot, and in 3d perspective; AngryBirds, in 3d, bowling over mourning folks.

Yeah, get on that :)

jeff

I used the bollocks and got a working compiler, happy.

C++ and a bunch of other stuff didn't install, mildly unhappy.

Borked Linux. Can't login. Can't suspend. Need to reflash. UNHAPPY.

Well, maybe it'll work better after I reflash. I really need to get Debian working, but it says there's no console when it boots, and just hangs there. Is there another image I can try? I can go with just using Angstrom for games and keeping it booted into Debian most of the time, until Debian learns to like PNDs.

Back