So Why Would Anyone Want The Caanoo?

Popcorn Dave said:
Yes... I ordered from Play-Asia and had to pay £33 import duty, which wasn't mentioned at any point in the transaction (the bastards!). You might find it cheaper to order from the British or German sites even though the price on the website is higher.

Import duty really has nothing to do with the vendor you purchase from; rather it's all about the tax practices in the country in which you live. You were billed for duty by your government, not by the supplier (sometimes the collection of said duty is offloaded to the shipping carrier, which will then generally tack on its own "brokerage" fees in addition to whatever duty was assigned by your government). Since import duties vary by country and commodity, it is near-impossible for a vendor to make any kind of out front statement as to how much you will have to pay to receive your order (although approximately 20%-30% seems to be most common in The UK, EU, Scandinavia and South America*), at least when any kind of volume sales are involved - it literally can take hours to research all of the particulars (tariff codes, etc) pertaining to a given shipment to a given country, and this is just not a viable practice for most vendors to undertake. The onus is on the consumer to know your local laws and to plan your purchases accordingly.

Many vendors do mark down the invoice shipped with an order to help out their customers, but it should be understood that this is something that they do at their own risk and as a favor to their customer. These vendors are at the mercy of their own local governments, and a marked down invoice can amount to charges of fraud and/or perjury if investigated. As such, vendors who mark down their invoices for international shipping are doing you a bigger favor than you might think, so it's good to be appreciative of this.

I only mention all of this because I do a large volume of international sales and shipping (in an entirely unrelated industry), and I tend to end up on the receiving end of similar complaints more frequently than I would like.

Cheers.

(*If you are a US based consumer, you are fortunate in that there is zero import or export duty on most consumer items - the government extracts your money in other ways)

Last edited by a moderator:
ruffnutts said:
@ mghty - no I never got any tax or duty's and yes it was sealed SD Card is fine,
I`m from London BTW - I actually paid £119.99 so they have put the price down which is great...

I also just a few days ago ordered the TV-OUT from there for £9.99 ;)

I think Ireland are shit hot on the customs - I would say take the chance :D

ruffnutts...

thanks ruffs it seems the whole import tax thing is just a matter of luck but i'll probably go for it then as the price is so low anyway so it's worth it either way. gotta sell my psp first though which is proving tricky because ebay keeps pulling it due to the custom firmware and sd card crammed full of things which anger mr sony hehheh
i'll sell it soon somehow :) ......anyone wanna buy a psp? :D :D :D

well I know that eBay seller puts gift or the how much its worth really low on the package,
its also economy air mail.... so very unlikely you will be stung ;)

Luke92 said:
Not trying to bash just curious why anyone would want the Caanoo right now over the Wiz? The Wiz has more software that is stable and is working better right? I'm just curious cause I'm trying to decide what to buy. I just don't get why everyone is so geeked up about a piece of hardware thats software isn't as stable as the one before it at this time.
I have a video of some of the emulators ported by zx81 running on the caanoo. You will see that for a system that is so young the emulators are coming along very nicely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LapBmE2JLko

Back