Sod (snake On Dope) Released

ruckage

Certified Guru
!!! HEALTH WARNING !!! Possible side effects!!!

This game may cause hallucinations, increased hunger and may lead to addiction.

Well after a bit of a delay caused by my PC dying I've finally finished SOD. A special thanks to Pat Ferguson who has provided the great music, this time all covers of some well known songs remade in GB/C64 style.

SOD is a basic game of snake - its just this snake likes to indulge in recreational drugs.

The aim of the game is to navigate the various levels eating eggs whilst avoiding the walls and your own tail.
In Dope mode there is an added factor - for every 3 eggs eaten the effect of the dope increases and the screen begins to wave, a little at first but it won't take long for the whole screen to be waving madly. You also score an extra bonus each time the effect increases. For those who can't handle the dope mode I've also included a classic mode.

The game also supports several control methods:

Joystick/Joypad
A/B/X/Y keys
Shoulder keys (L) rotates Anti-clockwise ® rotates Clockwise
Touch Screen (not the ideal control method but added for a bit of fun)

You can also control all menus using touchscreen if you want.

Features
----------

30 Levels
Chance to win bronze, silver or gold medals on each map.
2 Game modes
8 music tracks
Separate highscore for each map/mode
Several control methods
Adjustable game speed
A few secrets

Download

This is something i can get behind.

thanks this looks like fun *downloading*

Just got through playing this for about a hour and I love it!! the game play rules,the controls are tight... and the music is also so bad ass!

thanks again this game is the killer shit...man!

now if you excuse me its 4:20 around these parts.

So many great GP2X releases lately! Thank you Ruckage, this game is yet another gem :) I also dig the music, nice job Pat!

And you were right... that snake sure goes bonkers real fast :D

The Homebrew scene is kicking the emu scene's ass!

Edit:
Dude, this is like, so high quality man! Amazing little gem. Love the music and graphics. Feels commercial.

Ruckage , I have a gp2x f-100 and this game just crashes to the main menu for me ..
haven't read of anyone else having this problem maybe i need to redownload and try again ..
Thanks Bud

Thanks for the replies everyone, glad you like it.
budbud said:
Ruckage , I have a gp2x f-100 and this game just crashes to the main menu for me ..
haven't read of anyone else having this problem maybe i need to redownload and try again ..
Thanks Bud
Hi Bud, try another download first as 2 of my testers have used the F100 and it worked fine - if it still doesn't work get back to me and I'll try and sort it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I did redownload it and it works fine , Thanks for another Awsome release..Bud

Looks groovy, this will be the first 2X homebrew game ill be downloading in a while :)

What a great game. Really funny and both the graphics and music are very nice. :)

Hi everyone, there will be a small update to this in a few days as after extensively playtesting I think that Level C6 is just too hard so will modify it slightly. You get a nice bonus if you manage to get at least bronze in all stages so I want it to be possible to achieve.

yo, ruckage, thank you for this very nice game! this is what ruckage-ware looks like: polished and lots of fun! and great work by pat, too! thanks, guys!

edit:

errr... what am i doing wrong?

i start the game, and play let`s say level a1, get a2 unlocked. then i quit the game. next time i run the game, the "pick a stage"-screen shows ALL levels locked?! i can`t even play level a1 or b1 and so on. it says i have to play level a0 or b0 to unlock a1?! where is level a0?

furthermore, settings for sound/music-volume and speed seem lost...?!

what`s wrong? am i the only one?

Once again, another gem in the collection... you just keep pumping 'em out Ruckage ;)

Sorry to hear you had more problems with your PC, you must be rough on it :D

manhill said:
yo, ruckage, thank you for this very nice game! this is what ruckage-ware looks like: polished and lots of fun! and great work by pat, too! thanks, guys!

edit:

i start the game, and play let`s say level a1, get a2 unlocked. then i quit the game. next time i run the game, the "pick a stage"-screen shows ALL levels locked?! i can`t even play level a1 or b1 and so on. it says i have to play level a0 or b0 to unlock a1?! where is level a0?

That sounds very odd and haven't heard of anyone else having the problem. My only guess is that the save files were corrupted somehow.
Try going into the games data folder and deleting these 3 files: hiscores, options, keys

Let me know if it that works?

Hooka said:
Once again, another gem in the collection... you just keep pumping 'em out Ruckage ;)

Sorry to hear you had more problems with your PC, you must be rough on it :D
I blame it on the excessive number of hours I spend working on these games ;)

ruckage said:

That sounds very odd and haven't heard of anyone else having the problem. My only guess is that the save files were corrupted somehow.
Try going into the games data folder and deleting these 3 files: hiscores, options, keys

Let me know if it that works?

hi there ruckage... everything`s good now. i tried another sd, and now it works fine. maybe the other sd was just too slow. thanks again.

manhill

Can't stop playing it! Excellent quality game and great music. Games with unlocking levels are always my favorites, so I guess I can put SOD in that list.
Would love to see a virtual keyboard like SOD has for entering highscores, in one of the computer emulators. It works great even when you're using your fingertips.

One warning! Don't play the dope version when you are drunk :D

Thanks Pat and Ruckage.

Back