[SOLVED]My Pandora Dream Has Come To An End...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would his serial number have been recorded before it was sent out?

PokeParadox said:
I unfortunately do not have a cushy office job. I'm still a minimum wage bartender trying to squeeze into a better profession somewhere and apparently failing. But ya, I told my boss, he made everyone have their bags searched that were still working and we looked high and low if it may have been stashed for later retrieval... and police have been called.
I'm about to head into work today, hopefully facing good news.. but I'm not overly optimistic...
At least you have the consolation that the boss will also be on the look out for anyone who is over keen to help themselves to his stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if craigslist.org is popular where you live, Pokeparadox, but check there... I can't check for you as I don't know what city you are from. Otherwize, I probably would. I only have like $10 in my savings account, so I couldn't help you out with getting a new one... or even get MYSELF a pandora at the moment. It would probably cost me around $500 to get one.

MonkeyChops said:
We should be on the look out but the problem with that is even if you could prove it's the stolen pandora (which would be very difficult), what do you do next? ask admin for the ip, I guess and hope that the cops will do something with it.

There's nothing we could do on our own. Bot once the theft is reported to authorities one coult also get their attention on some suspictous auction/posts. Pandora isn't something you could buy on every corner. I believe the Police would need only few questions to determine whether he's got reliable explanation where he got his unit.

Morn said:
There's nothing we could do on our own. Bot once the theft is reported to authorities one coult also get their attention on some suspictous auction/posts. Pandora isn't something you could buy on every corner. I believe the Police would need only few questions to determine whether he's got reliable explanation where he got his unit.

What they could do is check that it is password protected, and ask him to unlock it. Or check the SD cards for pokeparadox's data.

That's bollox eh, I hope you get it back man

eBay is well worth keeping an eye on I'd say too

what about the pandora charger?
Isn't that some special one, as in can't just use from next device?
Did they teef that too?
If not they will find it hard to shift a handheld to anyone without a charger, if they have only limited places to buy that...

why oh why can't this be real? http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/implant-gpstracking.html .

I wonder if there's enough room inside this thing to take apart a smaller gps tracker and jam it in there.

Morn said:
MonkeyChops said:
We should be on the look out but the problem with that is even if you could prove it's the stolen pandora (which would be very difficult), what do you do next? ask admin for the ip, I guess and hope that the cops will do something with it.

That assuming that they catch him with it in his hands or he admits to having one. posting in a forum isn't enough evidence for an arrest/warrant. If they catch him with it or he admits to having one all they need to do from there is look at the serial number.

banjeed said:
why oh why can't this be real? http://www.brickhous...pstracking.html .

I wonder if there's enough room inside this thing to take apart a smaller gps tracker and jam it in there.

for $8 000 you can just by a few spare Pandoras. But It would be cool to hide some James-Bond style gps tracker inside your Pandora. And MI6 would hand over your Pandora within hours of being stolen lol. Imagine someone dressed in black descending from the ceiling of your workplace, and then snatching the new guy and handing over your pandora lol.

banjeed said:
You need both GPS and some kind of transmitter to actually track it, usually some kind of cell connection. You may be able to drop a GPS chip in there somewhere, but I doubt there's enough room for cellular connectivity stuff as well.

WizardStan said:
banjeed said:
You need both GPS and some kind of transmitter to actually track it, usually some kind of cell connection. You may be able to drop a GPS chip in there somewhere, but I doubt there's enough room for cellular connectivity stuff as well.

just take out the pandora's battery when not in use, im sure you could jam a cell-phone sized thing in there.

what about just tracking the wifi signal? Sure, you'd have to be close but in this case the pandora in question could very well still be in the bar or one could get close to the suspects house and see if you pick up the wifi signal. If the pandora was setup to be in a security mode upon startup in which it would send out a RFID type identification over wifi until the user put in his password, this could be a real world solution to pandora theft.

Check out this link:
https://www.cisco.co...hite_Paper.html

MonkeyChops said:
what about just tracking the wifi signal?
If the wifi worked consistently enough, it could email its IP on connect which would be enough to get a general idea of its location, and the police could arrange to get the exact location from the ISP.

ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the culprit is probably lurking these forums now

anyway, yh i think some script to send out the ip address to an email (or maybe to even update the user account on these forums [how dangerous are ip addresses being exposed, you hear things but then others say its a load of crap]), maybe even send out an email address if its different to the default one, Then youd really have him by the balls.

when ever the user connects to a wifi spot
its then up to the police matter. Which is pretty useless over here
-----------------some ramblings
(house beside us got burgled yesterday, guy was chased out into the estate with hurls, and he had a knife, made a threat to come back.
cops were told at the time of it happening, came up 3 hours later to search the back-gardens, fuc*** useless.

Also a call was made to the cops about a possible dead body in the streets, what do they do, phone up a resident (mother) to go check it out lol, at 4 o'clock in the the morning)

emcp said:
ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the culprit is probably lurking these forums now

anyway, yh i think some script to send out the ip address to an email (or maybe to even update the user account on these forums [how dangerous are ip addresses being exposed, you hear things but then others say its a load of crap]), maybe even send out an email address if its different to the default one, Then youd really have him by the balls.

when ever the user connects to a wifi spot
its then up to the police matter. Which is pretty useless over here
-----------------some ramblings
(house beside us got burgled yesterday, guy was chased out into the estate with hurls, and he had a knife, made a threat to come back.
cops were told at the time of it happening, came up 3 hours later to search the back-gardens, fuc*** useless.

Also a call was made to the cops about a possible dead body in the streets, what do they do, phone up a resident (mother) to go check it out lol, at 4 o'clock in the the morning)

Im not sure i understood the past few posts, including this one, but doesn't your IP address change when you change networks, and can't you change your MAC address? wait, its unlikely he will change his mac address, so LOOK FOR ANYTHING THAT HAS THE MAC ADDRESS OF HIS PANDORA lolol.

I pretty sure the thief doesn't have the Pandora anymore. He probably opened it up and said "What the hell's wrong with this DS".

When someone steals something they don't want, they try to get it out of their hands and turned into money as quickly as possible. Check every local pawn shop, resale shop, and game store, chances are it's at one of them. Or if not, the owner could probably at least describe the last person who came in trying to sell a disfigured DS.

Com64 said:
Im not sure i understood the past few posts, including this one, but doesn't your IP address change when you change networks
That's the point. Whenever the Pandora connects to the internet through a different access point, it gets a different IP address. This can be run through a geoip type site to get a vague idea of the location of that access point, and given to the police who can then get the ISP to give them the exact location of that access point.
As for MAC address, it's just a physical ID. It doesn't tell you anything about the location, and it's not generally broadcast as part of the TCP/IP layer, so you wouldn't be seeing it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back