[SOLVED] SD slot stopped working

DrCJBoduma

Website
Visit site
Hi,

Unfortunately, one of my sd cards came apart whilst in the 2nd sd slot and left a bit of plastic right at the back of the slot. I managed to remove the offending piece, but now sadly the sd card slot no longer works. (the LED light 2nd from left, flickers faintly - but nothing shows up as mounted)

Anyone got any ideas of a solution?

Cheers

CJ

One or more of the pins that contact the pads on an SD card probably got bent up. If you try to push them down a bit (bending the metal), it might work again. Hopefully the flexing back and forth doesn't break the metal piece off though.

hm, I only can thing of various stuff with a low chance of success:

- blow into the slot

- take out the battery for several minutes and try again

- open the pandora to be able to look more precisely at the slot-mechanism

- do what MWeston says ;) (popped up while writing)

There could also be a bit of plastic still stuck in there, I would guess.

The reason I say this is because failure to read that you describe, with the faint LED flickering, is typical of what happens when a card isn't quite fully inserted and isn't making good enough contact, in my experience.

Have you got some very narrow bamboo tweezers (or similar) and some Blu Tack to put on the ends? That's the approach I'd take (I just hope it's not wrong or stupid! :lol: ) - just don't use too much Blu Tack or it might come off and get lodged in there, too...

Thank you all for your suggestions - Have had a good luck and cannot see any plastic inside still. I tried the blowing sd slot (It works with 99% of my megadrive games :-D but no luck here) So am going to give the carefully bending the pins. Will report back either happy, sad or the same.

CJ

Just be gentle putting it back together, the screws around the battery should be snug, but don't overtighten or force.

I have the same symptoms, but very infrequently. It began after I 'forced the issue' a little with a damaged SD card. It's only happened once in the last few weeks; if it worsens I'll check the pins out.

One or more of the pins that contact the pads on an SD card probably got bent up. If you try to push them down a bit (bending the metal), it might work again. Hopefully the flexing back and forth doesn't break the metal piece off though.

After some careful pushing, success. 2 Fully functioning SD slots.

Thanks again for all advice

CJ

Back