Some Simple Gp2x Questions

M

Magus 86

Hi, everybody... It's been a really long time, but I'm back, at least for a little while. I haven't looked at anything GP32 or GP2X related in a long while, but just recently a button membrane for one of my GP32s broke. So, while I was trying to find out where I could get a replacement, I stumbled across some interesting news about the GP2X. I'm very interested in buying one, just as I was when I first heard about it. However, I know there were some issues with the joystick back then, and I wanted to know if they've been fixed since then. Also, how difficult is it to install a D-pad yourself if the most experience tinkering with electronics you've had consists of the GP32 joystick fix(putting a cross-shaped piece of plastic between the switches and the part of the stick that hits them)? Even if the joystick problems are gone, I'd still rather have a D-pad... which brings me to something else I just noticed as well... Apparently the newest version of GP2X has a D-pad, and I wanted to know if there are any issues I need to know about. I'd rather buy a GP2X that already has a D-pad than try to modify it myself and screw it up. I see that some people like it, and others don't. But I also remember that some people here had a problem with the PSX/PS2/PSP d-pad and said it sucked... so I'd like to direct these questions to DaveC, as I remember he's not usually biased, and he gives a good no-bullshit assessment. However, if anybody else has any valuable responses to any of my questions, feel free to leave them here. Thanks!

One last thing... To anyone thinking "omg, Magus is back, let's flame him!" I have this to say: I don't have time for your stupid bullshit, so fuck off.

I think the d-pad is okay for your basic commands. but it lacks full 360 degree rotation. and HCB movement is a kinda pain in the rear.

your going to want a d-pad if you want to pull off any serious motions. but for the most part the d-pad when I use it emulators for stuff like snes and Nes it works okay. Its just fighting games that will be the issue.

Dave is working on a dpad mod right now but isn't done yet. Only option is either psp d-pad or just using the default one.

On very first use, the D-Pad may seem a little funky, but it's easy to learn to use it effectively after a short period of time. I have an F-200 and I play a lot of fighting games, and there's not been a special move that I haven't been able to pull off on the D-Pad (except maybe full 360 rotation). You can get a PSP D-Pad cap dirt cheap on eBay that you can stick on top of the F-200's Pad if you prefer the one-piece D-Pad type instead of four separate buttons. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure that would improve 360 movement without any sort of "surgery" to your GP2X.

And as to your seeming return... it's OK. Even though we should have destroyed you after the Ocean Palace incident, we still have a Masamune with your name on it if you get out of line! :lol:

morrissey2k7 said:
And as to your seeming return... it's OK. Even though we should have destroyed you after the Ocean Palace incident, we still have a Masamune with your name on it if you get out of line! :lol:

Haha! Ocean Palace incident, eh? I didn't do anything. It was all the Queen's fault!

I'm sure you're already well aware of this, but I was referring to something totally different that happened before you joined(unless you had a different screen name before).

Alright, sounds good. Thanks for your answers. I don't plan on playing any fighting games unless there's a fullspeed or almost fullspeed PSX emulator anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue. And even then, the only fighters I play are Tobal, Ehrgeiz, and Bushido Blade, none of which require any rotation of the D-pad like the oldschool 2D fighters.

So the D-pad is good... what about the older model's joystick? Is that thing still a pain in the ass, or is it about as good as the GP32's joystick? Because if it is, I think I might just save some money and get the value pack on GP2Xsale.com. I'm not sure yet. I really want a D-pad... Oh well. Either way, I plan on getting a GP2X sometime in the future... Probably when I get my income tax return.

Oh, and does anybody know where I can find replacement buttom membranes for the GP32, if they even exist anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:
Magus 86 said:
Haha! Ocean Palace incident, eh? I didn't do anything. It was all the Queen's fault!

I'm sure you're already well aware of this, but I was referring to something totally different that happened before you joined(unless you had a different screen name before).
Yeah, I was just being silly. Any chance to make a Chrono reference, I jump on it! :D

I think I was one of the minority who actually liked the F-100's joystick, but I had an MK2 (which came in the value pack), and I'm pretty sure most of the main joystick issues concerned the original MK1 model.

by the sounds of things the new d pad on the f 200 is alot better than the joystick on the f 100 but tbh i would rather have a naf joystick than have all the problems that people are getting with the f 200

Hi Magus, (Long time no see)

If you really want to get a GP2x, I would definitely recommend you get F200, Which is the latest model of the GP2x (Picture below, I don`t own one personally) which has more of a proper d-pad than the original GP2x. Opinions of the new D-pad type controller have been very positive compared to the constant complaints and negativity made towards the original joystick.

gamepark-hands-on.jpg

Other than that and a new touch screen and colour, Not a lot has changed compared to the older model, That is unless you are a developer.

As for button membranes for your GP32, You could either open a new topic or place a request in the market place forum and see what response you get. Or, You could possibly contact either Craig or EvilDragon from these boards (who are distributors of GP2x and GP32 consoles) and see if they have any GP32 parts left, Worth a try.

I still have my dead GP32 Nlu, Untouched and still in it`s box since the time i killed it. I could post it to you and you could use it for parts, But you would have to pay the shipping costs, And as i am in the UK, It could end up being quite expensive.

Trooper

Once again, thanks to everybody for your responses. I wish they would have just gone with a D-pad from the beginning or at least made a D-pad version before the F200 because something tells me I'll end up paying more than I need to as a result of the touchscreen, which I have no desire to even use. I want a D-pad, but I want one without problems. On the other hand, I don't really want a joystick at all, but if it works better than the d-pad(I mean actually works better, not that someone prefers it because they hate D-pads), I'll take it. I dunno yet. Either way, I can't afford it right now, so I have no choice but to sit back, read, and watch. And when the time comes, I'll make my decision. I hope by then there's an F200 value pack so I can save money on accessories, but I doubt it.

Oh yeah, I had a couple more questions...

By now, there is definitely fullspeed SNES emulation with transparency, right? Also, I remember hearing about a PSX emulator in progress a while back. How's the progress with it? Is it actually working? And how fast is it? Is it ANYWHERE near fullspeed yet? It's not that big of a deal if it's not, but mobile Tobal 2, Twisted Metal 2, Jet Moto, and Musashi would be nice.

tim0391 said:
by the sounds of things the new d pad on the f 200 is alot better than the joystick on the f 100 but tbh i would rather have a naf joystick than have all the problems that people are getting with the f 200
See... it's this kinda comment that bugs me. Not his opinion -- he's entitled to that. But the comment "than have all the problems that people are getting with the f 200"... The one and only "problem" with the F-200 is changes made to the USB which makes coding on the unit more cumbersome. There's no other overall problems with the F-200. Some people may not like the D-Pad, but that's an issue of personal taste, not something WRONG with it (and for the record, I've heard MANY people say they prefer the D-Pad to the F-100's joystick). For like 3 DAYS, people were having compatibility issues with a few emulators -- the main ones, MAME and PocketSNES have been updated, fixing those compatibility problems. One guy got his SD card stuck in the unit. It's not exactly an epidemic.

Why is it most of the negative comments come from people who don't even have firsthand experience?

That's a very good question... I've been trying to figure that out for years now.

The joystick on the F100 is still pure shit and the F200 one is a mediocre uncomfortable pad that is very noisy and there are a lot of reports of the buttons getting stuck, rolling movements and circular motions are difficult if not impossible. Installing a new dpad on an F100 is a huge pain in the ass, AFAIK no one's done it on the F200 but you should just need to cut out a bigger hole and add a pad on top, but at least all the electrical contacts are there.

whatcha you talkin bout willis?

you seen Dave's d-pad mod give it a rest. I got a psp d-pad mod on the way though I regret it I only need for the 360 degree rotation...I dunno...morrissey how you pullin off HCB motions? at first I had them with ease by going outside and pushing quickly but now I can't get it down anymore lol...inside center of the d-pad doesn't work for me because my thumb will end up hitting the top button and screws up the motion.

anyways I say the d-pad is worth it. works like a charm in doom and duke nukem. and in other games you really won't notice.

garzyboi said:
morrissey how you pullin off HCB motions?

By sheer perseverance, haha. Seriously, it helps to go into "Practice Mode" -- if a particular fighting game you're playing has one -- and trying special moves that require HCB/HCF until you get it down. That way you can focus and perfect it without being attacked :D. I have no real zen advice for you.... I just tried it until I mastered it. It wasn't that hard.

I love how people on here let fly with the generalizations like "there are a lot of reports" when there's been an isolated incident. Even if there were a few cases of buttons getting stuck (I've only read of ONE on this site), that hardly constitutes "a lot of reports". I don't find my F-200's D-Pad to be "uncomfortable" (in fact compared to many D-Pads I've used for various systems during my life as a gamer, I'd say it's one of the more comfortable D-Pads) or "noisy" (it makes no more/no less noise than pressing any other GP2X button).

Yea I figured that was the case.

just need to be carefull where my thumb is moving on the pad. Still playing KOF brings back some good memories.

Back