• I am happy with the stock joystick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want a D-pad but too cautious to mod my GP2x, so have to stay as I am

• I would be looking to mod my GP2x with a D-pad, when someone sells them

• I want a D-pad, but only if someone was prepared to do the mod for me

• I have my own ideas for a D-pad for the GP2x and will experient integrating it

• I intend to make my own D-pad out of old D-pad parts I have, and will use the various guides posted

• I intend to try the mod for the external D-pad (Bacteria's)

• I don't like the joystick, want a D-pad but not prepared to make one or install one. My GP2x is coll

• (other)

• Total voters

Just read the logs. Everything was pretty much worked out at the end.
I actually grown fond of the Joystick (although that may just be me since I prefer Arcade Sticks over D pads). I would kill for a NeoGeo Pocket like stick though.

EC, people on this board love craigix because he went to Korean, said his 안녕하세요s and his 감사함니다s and now we have sweet GP2X boxes. A few people have fallen victim to his PR style, like that newbie that kept spamming him for info on his GP2X order and thus had his order cancelled.

Its just like when your kickarse game is released. Most people will like you as the guy who released the kick arse game. Most pople won't consider your posting on the forum.

I think they are great. I can find only one or two things that I dislike slightly about them which makes them fairly close to perfection. For this price point and this time. I’m happy that GPH would have learned from their mistakes for the GP3X, I don’t feel the need to get involved. I’d be happy to include myself in a survey if an official one was provided. Because I only account for 3-5 GPH consoles for its entire lifetime, it’s not like I’m a major reseller.

From the perspective of people like myself; your post don’t serve any purpose other then to defame craigix and thus shrink the community. Craigix is a key community member who thankfully communicates with us in the forums.

What you and Craigix have is a private discussion that should not be out in the public. If you really wanted to fix your relationship, you would have PMed this and ended it with, “Come on baby, we can make this work.” So deleting would help to remove a lot of the useless spam this board seems to generate. (a lot like this)

Btw, when the next GP2X comes out with the BoB, I’ll probably purchase it premoded with a d-pad.

ste_167 posted on Sep 8 2006 at 08:16 PM said:
The stats currently say that users are happy with the current joystick.

I'm one of 'em.

Say, you know ... those novelty beer-swilling hats don't work so well ... delivers nothing but foam, and makes you look silly :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't buy a new GP2X just to get a better joystick/d-pad, to get a new one I would want the stick fixed, a screen without the lines a headphone jack that stayed put, (a safety cut out for when you use a psu with batteries in the machine), maybe wait a few years until all the little bugs had been sorted out then replace this one.

But since my GP2X is already busted I would be happy to get it sent off for repair and have it modded at the same time with a d-pad and any other mods that will be available at the time.

Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy a new GP2X every time they fix some problems in the design/build quality, if they brought out a new one that could pick up TV or had GPS built in then I could justify getting a new one, until then I will stick to the semi working one I have.

Post seems a little negative but I can assure you that aside from the actual GP2X, the forums, the coders and the people doing all the hardware hacking are well worth the initial outlay for what is still a good idea, if not as well implemented as it could have been.

As for the rest of the comments on the forum, everyone should know by now that sarcasm just doesn't work in the printed medium.

I'm not going to comment on the dispute going on here, there are two sides to every story and quite frankly, it should have been worked out in private.

As for the d-pad thing, I voted "I would be looking to mod my GP2X with a D-pad, when someone sells them" but I want to clarify that. I prefer a d-pad to the stick we have now, but I wouldn't go out of my way to mod my 2X for one. I was looking forward to Radek's kit because it appeared to be dead-simple and have 100% compatibility. No soldering, no bullshit. If a kit like that came out I'd grab it in a heartbeat but otherwise, no go. The stick works well enough for the most part, I've had problems in a couple of games but not a lot. Unless the mod is idiotproof, I don't think it's worth risking my 2X for it.

I'm surprised so many people voted that they are happy with the current stick. I wish you lot would speak up in the forums when everyone else seems to say it sucks.

I plan on giving out my kit info. If Craig or anyone else wants to make and sell them from my plans that is fine. I hope he will as I don't want to be in the D-pad business.

A mod business is a bit tough. First you have to make enough money on the pad mods to be worth the time. Then you have shipping cost both ways. It costs me about $15.00 for just the parts to make a pad mod. Then there is insured shipping for the GP2X that can cost $30.00 both ways. Then what happens if you are modding a GP2X and it breaks? Then you have to replace their unit for free. The costs add up. I doubt there would be too many takers on a $60.00 D-pad mod. This is why a DIY kit is probably the only economical option.

yaustar posted on Sep 8 2006 at 09:03 PM said:
Just read the logs. Everything was pretty much worked out at the end.
I actually grown fond of the Joystick (although that may just be me since I prefer Arcade Sticks over D pads). I would kill for a NeoGeo Pocket like stick though.

I'm 100% agree ! NeoGeo Pocket have the best stick of all handheld for me :D

I want a premod d pad. but the stick will probably do for the time being. Id imagine a premod bussiness would be tough to keep up.

Personally I wasn't too happy with the stick, but the new stick that Craig was selling for £1 make things a lot better... makes playing games a lot easier and overall I'm quite content with it... still prefer the GP32's stick but it's not that bad that I'd pay loads to get it modded or risk doing it myself

and all the IRC logs that were posted... theres a lot that goes off on IRC that could totally be taken the wrong way, but Craig's always come accross a decent guy to me along with most of the guys on IRC... you really can't post snippets because its just like newspapers taking a quote from someone and exaggerating it into whatever they want it to be

DaveC posted on Sep 9 2006 at 02:07 AM said:
I plan on giving out my kit info. If Craig or anyone else wants to make and sell them from my plans that is fine. I hope he will as I don't want to be in the D-pad business.

A mod business is a bit tough. First you have to make enough money on the pad mods to be worth the time. Then you have shipping cost both ways. It costs me about $15.00 for just the parts to make a pad mod. Then there is insured shipping for the GP2X that can cost $30.00 both ways. Then what happens if you are modding a GP2X and it breaks? Then you have to replace their unit for free. The costs add up. I doubt there would be too many takers on a $60.00 D-pad mod. This is why a DIY kit is probably the only economical option.
Well look at that. Having to mod a GP2X and bump up the overall price of your purchase. Simply, why didn't GPH do it right the first time? They had the previous experience from the GP32, yet they didn't even bother testing a single unit in the first production. Or they tested one, saw that the joystick sucked, and said "oh well".

LordFu posted on Sep 9 2006 at 05:51 PM said:
You're a tool. Kill yourself.
No, he is correct. GPH made a fiasco of the GP2X launch because instead of properly testing a prototype they just made the first batch from preorder money and said 'we can't afford to fix anything'. That's a terrible decision-- you don't sell people fucked-up machines and just say 'oh well, you're an early adopter, tough luck'-- you at least thoroughly test a machine before you sell thousands.

If they have an opportunity to fix it, I hope they do so. But since they are releasing lots of other things that don't make sense with this money they supposedly don't have, like BoBs and weird docking stations, etc. I doubt they really care about fixing the stick.

They are a n00b company, no one can argue with that.. and the more I think about the stolen technology thing, the more everything seems like it would fit. Not that I'm convinced it's true, just that it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Well their bit about d-pads being a copyright infringement on Nintendo, whether GPH told Craig this or he thinks it himself, is a load of bull. If so, every company from Microsoft to Sega to Madcatz to the guys who make those little LCD games is breaking Nintendo's patent.

DaveC posted on Sep 9 2006 at 08:07 AM said:

I agree with your comments. There is only one realistic option: CraigX sells the GP2x front case to a modder (I presume these are for sale?), who then cuts the hole required in the case and supplies it with a pre-made D-pad; all the user then has to do is open the case, snip the joystick off (leaving the pins at the back intact, stick the D-pad onto the motherboard, and solder the connections to the rear of the joystick connectors. If this can't be achieved, everyone has to make their own mods.

This "kit" form then makes things simple, postage simple, and installation issues are purely at the expense of the user, not the supplier. To make this feasible, we need distributers in each country they buy the GP2x from - so CraigX needs to consider adding this to his product portfolio if someone can create a suitable mod kit form.

subcon959 posted on Sep 9 2006 at 03:15 AM said:
I'm surprised so many people voted that they are happy with the current stick. I wish you lot would speak up in the forums when everyone else seems to say it sucks.
Exactly. I spent a lot of time presenting my mod to the community, yet hardly anyone is doing a mod, even though there seemed to be many users crying out for some solution to the D-pad problem; whether from my design or those others who have used my guide to help them make their own D-pad assembly work.

I am using the previous version of the GP2x, I don't have the MK2 version - is the MK2 version really so much better?

If you are using the stock joystick and the centre push button goes, you can always wire up a separate centre-psh button to have that feature again (see my guide). This tip might help someone!

Back