Some suggestions

__BlacKPrince

Still Fresh
Hi everybody, I just joined the forums and this is my first post,

I didnt know where to put this so moderators if this isnt the correct place move it pls, and thanks.

well retuning to the topic, i thought it was a good idea to suggest some cool games to port to the pandora now that the developers/users comunity is growing, im planning on buying my pandora during this year so it would be very nice having a bigger scene when that time comes.

with nothing more to say, here we go:

HEDGEWARS

just got to know about this clone of worms called hedgewars, this is a really really good clone because its very loyal to the original game, worms is one of the most cool games ever, you can play it solo or with a partner in LAN or ONLINE mode, hedgewars is crossplatform so it runs on linux, mac os x, and windows of course, its under gpl license so nothing stop us porting to the pandora.

Official website descriptions reads:

Hedgewars is a turn based strategy, artillery, action and comedy game, featuring the antics of pink hedgehogs with attitude as they battle from the depths of hell to the depths of space.

As commander, it's your job to assemble your crack team of hedgehog soldiers and bring the war to your enemy.

Game Features

• Hilarious and devistating turn based combat for up to 6 players
  • Both local and network multiplayer, with optional AI opponents
  • Battle on an infinite number of randomly generated maps, with over 20 environments
  • Utilise 47 (and counting) devistating weapons! Including the piano strike and explosive robotic cake
  • Play the game your way, with 18 different game modifiers, tweak almost every aspect of the match
  • Customize your team, with over 120 costumes, 30 graves, 12 forts, 100s of flags and unique voice packs
  • Huge battles with up to 48 hogs
  • Play both singleplayer and multiplayer minigames
  • Plugin your own custom maps, costumes, and other artwork

License

Hedgewars is free open-source software, released under GPL-v2 license.

hedgewars0.jpg

official website: http://www.hedgewars.org

video:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/EKBuz6oWGzg?feature=oembed (it looks really good if you put the video on HD)

hopefully developers notice this post and port at least one of this great games...

Thank you for reading this.

PD: I'm from Dominican Republic so my english is not too good.

Last edited by a moderator:
hehe, those MUGEN screen-shots got my attention...

one of these days, i'll have to try it, to see if the play system, the controls/technicality and the fun are good, at least at the level of the old arcade titles i'm enamored with ;)

Kisses

Mac

Gridwars source was available and out there at some point .. I know I have a copy of it somewhere .. but I doubt we'll get BlitzMax Basic (or whatever its called) for Pandora any time soon ..

If Hedgewars and Secret Maryo Chronicles aren't ported already they will be soon I'm sure. They are Linux game staples almost like Tux Racer. There are two open source Worms clones, Hedgewars might not be the more popular one, but it does seem more mentioned on these forms. Worms and clones I only like playing two player, they are great two player games but I never find it that fun when playing alone so I hope there is a way to play online with people that don't have Pandoras. Spread the word I say.

Also, that is an old screen shot of Secret Maryo Chronicles, Maryo doesn't look so much like Mario anymore and the Goombas in it look more like like Tribbles with eyes and feet. I kinda like it more this way since the game doesn't play exactly like a Mario game, or at least it doesn't feel like it to me.

The other two games don't seem to be open source and if you do find the source for Grid Wars 2 I wouldn't port it since the guy that made it was made to take it down. It would be cool if the M.U.G.E.N people would make their game available for the Pandora though.

PokitFoxx: Thanks :D

macsimus: I've been playing mugen for a few years and it still amazing me, you should try it asa you can ;) .

darfgarf: I'll try to talk to the developer to see what can we do.

torpor: dont be negative dude.

second.exodous: yeah I know, thanks for the observation, its just that by the time I wrote the post was so late and I was falling asleep to look for an updated screen-shot (already updated), are you a developer/porter?, I'll try to contact the game author to see if he can give us the source code.

Clone projects

Since development of the engine was halted for a long time and no source code has been made available by Elecbyte, several clone projects started to try and duplicate the functionality of the engine from scratch, such as ShugenDo, InfinityCat, xnaMugen, jMugen, Direct-Xion-Game, Paintown and I.K.E.M.E.N. Some of them present online gameplay capabilities, a feature many users have sought after.
Paintown still seems to be reasonably active and open source. They have ports to a lot of platforms already. It seems like a likely candidate for a Pandora port.

Since development of the engine was halted for a long time and no source code has been made available by Elecbyte, several clone projects started to try and duplicate the functionality of the engine from scratch, such as ShugenDo, InfinityCat, xnaMugen, jMugen, Direct-Xion-Game, Paintown and I.K.E.M.E.N. Some of them present online gameplay capabilities, a feature many users have sought after.
MUGEN isn't open source, so despite having a linux version it won't run. And most of those clones don't seem to be open source either, which is quite unusual. xnaMugen is written in .NET so I think maybe it can be made to work, but I don't know. jMugen requires OpenGL, so at the very least it would require some rewrites. PainTown looks like it might be doable though.

Caine: yeah, paintown sounds promising, as you said, they have ports on mac os x, linux and windows and provide the source, the most important thing is the mugen compatibility, hope someone would take care about this project or do something about. Unfortunately I know nothing about porting, coding and programming.

Wizardstan: well ima try to have some contact with elecbyte people to see if they can provide linux source or build the port themselves... the last thing you lose is hope.

DaMummy: heheh, I don't think so, but funny one though.

I'm not picking it up anytime soon. Currently I am busy with other projects and I defer any porting work until after I received my Pandora.

Don't worry, the important thing here is that the game is ported and the scene keep growing. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back