Sonic Rush

matt goode

Website
Visit site
that it is pretty damn good, but has anyone got this game?

Although i do love my sonic games, i find it hard to see whats different about it to other sonic games, and if you thought it was good enough to recieve 9/10.

I fully trust ign but was wondering what your impressions of it are?

I had the game and finished it. And it was brilliant. At first it wont seem different to the other sonic games but once u start playing it more and more u'll realise how different it was. I would definitely recommend it.

edit: This game is hard though and it only has an easy and a normal setting and i found it near impossible on normal to finish it but i prevailed.

I get lost, I'll be looking at one screen then BAM! I can't find him untill I look to the other screen :/

EDIT: I still like sonic 1 a lot more, but I should play it more I guess. SOnic 1 is my favorite Sonic game, haven't like any of them as much as that game

This game has so many cool gimmicks and effects. Even though game is mostly 2D, they threw in 3D elements where it shines. Two thumbs and toes up from me.

This game and FF4 Advance is taking my time off Gp2x. The competition is very high in my world. ;)

It's the only post '96 Sonic game which gets my approval, I'm no one special but from an arrogant self centered point of view, it means this game is amazing!

codeninja posted on Dec 26 2005 at 08:27 PM said:
This game has so many cool gimmicks and effects. Even though game is mostly 2D, they threw in 3D elements where it shines. Two thumbs and toes up from me.

This game and FF4 Advance is taking my time off Gp2x. The competition is very high in my world. ;)
Final Fantasy 4 is out?

I wonder if I have enough stuff to sell to get a DS...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jarska333 posted on Dec 26 2005 at 07:28 PM said:
Final Fantasy 4 is out?
Yes, it is! I got it for christmas (along with a mario kart DS and animal crossing for the ds) and it is great! I never played the original (i started with ff6) so it's totally new to me.

About gettting a DS, i would highly recommend it. I bought mine right when it came out and I admit, after a month of mario 64 I was disappointed. I resorted to playing my gba games on the ds (which was much better than my original gba). When my friend got his psp I really regreted getting my DS and considered selling it and getting the psp. Now I have kirby, castlevania, meteos, super mario 64, mario kart DS, animal crossing Wild world, and mario & luigi partners in time. And when I get bored of those I will buy sonic rush, advance wars, and pheonix wright. The DS has quite a nice selection of games now and there are more to come.

EDIT:
sonic rush is the best 2d sonic ever
in the case it's probably the best sonic game ever. The 3d sonic games sucked when compared with the 2d ones.

Goity posted on Dec 28 2005 at 01:30 AM said:
The original Sonic adventure ruled :eek:!
It was definitely the best 3d sonic game, but the 2d ones still kick its ass

Goity posted on Dec 27 2005 at 09:30 PM said:
Eh. Adventure 2's definitely my favorite 3D Sonic. Adventure 1 was okay, but there simply wasn't enough Sonic there.

Heroes is fun, too, but I still wish it was exclusively Sonic. <_<

Sonic 2 is my favourite, followed by SA1. Sonic 3 was horrible, and so was Sonic and knuckles. The games' levels weren't thought out well at all.

matt goode posted on Dec 26 2005 at 04:16 PM said:
Although i do love my sonic games, i find it hard to see whats different about it to other sonic games, and if you thought it was good enough to recieve 9/10.
The tension gauge sets it apart. Ran out of steam halfway up a loop? Got a truckload of enemies in your way? The super boost thing changes how you play the whole game (and pretty much replaces the spindash).

Also, the game is harder and the music is a welcome change from the norm.

shinneri posted on Dec 28 2005 at 02:30 AM said:
Eh. Adventure 2's definitely my favorite 3D Sonic. Adventure 1 was okay, but there simply wasn't enough Sonic there.
I never got any enjoyment out of SA2 at all. Terrible voice acting, meaningless cutscenes, despicable music that doesn't touch that of the original game, generally low polish (compare the graphics and general 'feel' of the game to, say, Mario Sunshine) and abysmal gameplay.

Examples: Sonic runs into a wall, does he stop? No, he deflects left or right into the nearest bottomless pit. Camera is terrible, making careful jumps a nightmare. That stupid auto-attack boost Sonic has ruins any challenge involved with attacking enemies, while still making things dangerous as the boost can send you flying off in a random direction. In general, I felt like I had to be careful with every step I took because I might accidentally die, due to the controls or the camera.

The game also relies on you 'going with the flow'. One particular series of loops (which the game is filled with - expect to spend a lot of your time holding the stick forward and looking at your watch) would cause Sonic to fall off and die if he failed to hold forward the entire time, even when the camera shifts upside down. Your instincts tell you to move your thumb back to reverse his direction - but this kills you.

To top this all off, there are totally uninspired and bland Tails/Robotnik levels featuring some dire auto-aimed shooting, and Knuckles levels that WOULD be fun if you weren't cramped into some tiny level with a few piecemeal enemies that don't even pose a threat.

Gone, also, is the charm and brilliant visual design of the 2D games, as well as much of the fun. If I say they have put too much emphasis on 'raw speed' and not really thinking about where you're going, some jackass will say 'Sonic was always about speed!' Anyone who has actually played the games, especially post Sonic 1, will know that the games USED to have many tricks, traps and difficult sections to bypass, which Sonic Advance 2 completely did away with.

So I'd love for someone to reply to this and tell me, 'Sonic Adventure 2 is the best Sonic game -because-...', because it clearly went right over my head (and into the dustbin)

Rico posted on Dec 29 2005 at 12:48 AM said:
matt goode posted on Dec 26 2005 at 04:16 PM said:
The tension gauge sets it apart. Ran out of steam halfway up a loop? Got a truckload of enemies in your way? The super boost thing changes how you play the whole game (and pretty much replaces the spindash).

Also, the game is harder and the music is a welcome change from the norm.

shinneri posted on Dec 28 2005 at 02:30 AM said:
I never got any enjoyment out of SA2 at all. Terrible voice acting, meaningless cutscenes, despicable music that doesn't touch that of the original game, generally low polish (compare the graphics and general 'feel' of the game to, say, Mario Sunshine) and abysmal gameplay.

Examples: Sonic runs into a wall, does he stop? No, he deflects left or right into the nearest bottomless pit. Camera is terrible, making careful jumps a nightmare. That stupid auto-attack boost Sonic has ruins any challenge involved with attacking enemies, while still making things dangerous as the boost can send you flying off in a random direction. In general, I felt like I had to be careful with every step I took because I might accidentally die, due to the controls or the camera.

The game also relies on you 'going with the flow'. One particular series of loops (which the game is filled with - expect to spend a lot of your time holding the stick forward and looking at your watch) would cause Sonic to fall off and die if he failed to hold forward the entire time, even when the camera shifts upside down. Your instincts tell you to move your thumb back to reverse his direction - but this kills you.

To top this all off, there are totally uninspired and bland Tails/Robotnik levels featuring some dire auto-aimed shooting, and Knuckles levels that WOULD be fun if you weren't cramped into some tiny level with a few piecemeal enemies that don't even pose a threat.

Gone, also, is the charm and brilliant visual design of the 2D games, as well as much of the fun. If I say they have put too much emphasis on 'raw speed' and not really thinking about where you're going, some jackass will say 'Sonic was always about speed!' Anyone who has actually played the games, especially post Sonic 1, will know that the games USED to have many tricks, traps and difficult sections to bypass, which Sonic Advance 2 completely did away with.

So I'd love for someone to reply to this and tell me, 'Sonic Adventure 2 is the best Sonic game -because-...', because it clearly went right over my head (and into the dustbin)

I did enjoy SA2 when I first got it (a day before the international release I might add...foolish HMV imps) but in the long run I have to agree with everything you say Rico, the only way to enjoy SA2 was to memorise the button combinations so well that you never died, by this point you could literally do it blind folded.

The only good thing to come out of SA2 was the bonus greenhill zone but it took action replay codes to acheive as no one is prepared to put up with the games faults long enough to aquire 150 A rankings ( I believe the GC version is somewhat easier).
The worst thing to come out of SA2 was the monumental warp of story line, SA2 was quite clearly tailor made to make way for a spin off TV show incorporating humans and all of that family morales and values shit which has been done again and again with every franchise.

In my opinion the greatest Sonic game you can lay your hands and eyes on is the JAP/EUR (the US version has a very bland soundtrack) version of Sonic CD, great sound track, great early 90's design, good level layout and decent side story which doesn't intefere with the main running of things.

I know what you mean about SA2, Tails' levels were just baaaaaad....
SA however, I loved. The storyline worked well, and the levels were fun to play, and the adventure mode ruled.
Sonic isn't purely about speed, which is why I'm not a fan of the GBA versions. WTF? It's not a race! It's meant to be about all the twists and stuff you can find, like how in sonic 1's first level you can find something like 7 lives if you mess around a lot and search.

Well considering I'm about to play SA1 on the Dreamcast tomorrow (yay!) I HOPE you're right! I remember playing it at Disneyland for about two minutes, six or so years ago, running around some tropical beach area. I've always wanted to play it since.

I'm not a fan of the Advance games either, but Rush does address this by going back to the style of the older games somewhat. The jumps are actually quite challenging, each level has a half dozen paths and the bosses can't be killed in twenty seconds anymore.

bump sonic adventure 1 is really, really fun compared to the sequel, and i don't know why. shenmue kinda sucks though

i LOVE shenmue, 1 had more detailed surroundings, although 2 had a MASSIVE setting. i read a while ago about shenmue online, dont know if that will ever go anywhere.

Rico posted on Dec 29 2005 at 03:28 AM said:
Well considering I'm about to play SA1 on the Dreamcast tomorrow (yay!) I HOPE you're right! I remember playing it at Disneyland for about two minutes, six or so years ago, running around some tropical beach area. I've always wanted to play it since.

I'm not a fan of the Advance games either, but Rush does address this by going back to the style of the older games somewhat. The jumps are actually quite challenging, each level has a half dozen paths and the bosses can't be killed in twenty seconds anymore.

that place at disney used to rock

it was like a free arcade

Back