Sony Announces Ps3 Slim!

nightwheel

Website
www.nightwheel.wordpress.com
http://kotaku.com/5339968/sony-announces-slim-ps3-+-it-lives-this-september

After all the rumors, we finally have it. And it's coming super quick. Sony said it would be available in all regions by September 11'th. It will have the same features and functions, come with a 120 gb drive. It will also be 33 percent smaller, 36 percent lighter.

With a Price of $299 in the states, 299 euros in Europe, and 29980 yen in Japan

299 US dollars.

That's still a bit much, though the $20 or so I'll get from selling my PS2 will go into this.
I might get a PS3 if The Last Guardian doesn't turn out to be a horrible game, but no sooner.

Would be nice if they were able to bring back PS2 backwards compatibility. Also, apparently you can't install Linux on this one, which is a letdown. Any word on whether the hard drive is replaceable?

Depending on whether or not it comes bundled with a pack-in game or two, I think this is the price at which I can justify buying one of these things, but I'm still hesitant if it loses its Linux-friendliness and forces you to stick with the Sony HD. That was, in my opinion, its biggest advantage over the 360.

Ravnos said:
Would be nice if they were able to bring back PS2 backwards compatibility. Also, apparently you can't install Linux on this one, which is a letdown. Any word on whether the hard drive is replaceable?

:/
I was hoping to keep something PS2-compatible, or at least install Linux and use it as a server.
If I can only play TLG and watch Blu-Ray movies on it, that's kinda disappointing.

I guess I'll get a racing game or something, but considering my previous experiences with game consoles, I don't want to put a lot of money into something that will ONLY play games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seriously considering this over replacing my 360. Hmm...

Nova said:
I'm seriously considering this over replacing my 360. Hmm...

You should, though it depends what type of games you want to play.

If you're in to a bit of Space Marine, stay with 360.
You did say you would buy one once the slim came out though, so you must!

Great. An update of an existing machine that appears to offer less than the version before it, which in turn offered less than the original first edition? Mmmm... I think I'll pass on that one.

iprice said:
Great. An update of an existing machine that appears to offer less than the version before it, which in turn offered less than the original first edition? Mmmm... I think I'll pass on that one.
Sure, it offers a little less than the original, but saying it offers less than the phat is a bit silly.

I have the original ps3. I hardly ever use ps2 compatibility (I have a PS2 for that), and Linux is a bit of a mess; Ubuntu was a mess where you could either have Wifi or sound but not both, and YDL was a bit shit. Honestly, 99.9999997 percent of people won't be missing a thing with Linux gone. Admittedly, it's a bit of a bad move since the Linux is fun at least to mess about with, but it's nothing to complain about.

The new price is a far better incentive than features that aren't great.

I do hope Sony manage to emulate the PS2 properly though eventually, with rendering at 720p.

So it looks like hard drives are still replaceable with off-the-shelf drives. That answers my biggest concern. But goity's BS aside, losing the ability to load Linux is a downside, and the fact that there is still no PS2 BC is ridiculous. I'll still probably pick one of these up because the price is finally right, but I might just wait and see what this does to used PS3 prices first and then buy accordingly.

No pack-in title is a huge downside, though. The 360 Elite is going to match this price, and if it still comes with two games, it represents the better buy IMO. I have a 360, though, so that doesn't really matter to me.

Ravnos said:
So it looks like hard drives are still replaceable with off-the-shelf drives. That answers my biggest concern. But goity's BS aside, losing the ability to load Linux is a downside, and the fact that there is still no PS2 BC is ridiculous. I'll still probably pick one of these up because the price is finally right, but I might just wait and see what this does to used PS3 prices first and then buy accordingly.

No pack-in title is a huge downside, though. The 360 Elite is going to match this price, and if it still comes with two games, it represents the better buy IMO. I have a 360, though, so that doesn't really matter to me.
It *is* a bad thing, but honestly Linux support was never that great (no RSX), and it's pretty much died over the last few months.

The reason there's still no PS2 BC is simply because it's difficult to emulate. They've got the CPU down (emulated in the original EU ones) but it seems the graphics card (which among other eccentricities had EDRAM and crazy high bandwidth because of it) is a bit of a problem. Perhaps they are working on it, and if they get it right it'll be good.

Also, there's no official elite pack-in program afaik, and the new Elite is just a Pro with a 120gb hdd; they're even stripping out the HD cable. But yes, a price match is undoubtable.

No PS2, no Linux?
Shit, It'd be like owning a Gamecube.

I guess there's a few other games I might enjoy like Rock Band and maybe Motorstorm (it looks fun), but considering the price of the games and the initial cost of the system, it would be a colossal rip-off EDIT: If I was to buy it.

It's good to see that the PS3 is not as bulky as the original but man does it look ugly.
ph34r.gif

i like the old one a lot better. this thing isn't really good looking and still big. i guess in some years there will be another revision (ps three maybe)

and the only reason there is no bc is because sony is still selling ps2's like stupid. they would shoot their own feet if they'd make the ps3 bc.
by the time the ps2 won't be sold anymore, the ps3 will get bc.

Don't forget the PS3 includes wireless connection, where as on the 360 it costs a fair bit extra

lulzfish said:
No PS2, no Linux?

I guess there's a few other games I might enjoy like Rock Band and maybe Motorstorm (it looks fun), but considering the price of the games and the initial cost of the system, it would be a colossal rip-off EDIT: If I was to buy it.
Games aren't actually that badly priced. Using your example of Motorstorm, it only cost me £5 from Blockbuster. It's a bloody hard game though; I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a practiced racer.

lulzfish said:
No PS2, no Linux?
What are you talking about? You can totally run Linux on the Gamecube!

It looks like sony is catching gameboy fever. I.E. Releasing another console that's essentially the same as the previous console without really having enough features to really be called an upgrade.

gameboy.jpg

gameboy-pocket.jpg

gameboy-light.jpg

gameboy-color.jpg

Oh, so NOW it has color. I see where you were going with this nintendo. I do.

But oh wait, there's this, too:

Nintendo%20DS%20CONSOLE.jpg

nintendo-ds-lite.jpg

dsi_close_01.gif

Oh nintendo, nintendo, nintendo....

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
It looks like sony is catching gameboy fever. I.E. Releasing another console that's essentially the same as the previous console without really having enough features to really be called an upgrade.

You're a tool. Console manufacturers have been revising hardware since gaming started. And all those you pointed out are pretty significant revisions

Back