SONY PlayStation Vita (PS Vita)

They made some HUGE mistakes on their last 2 consoles (PSP & PS3 )
Why is that?
Well, the PSP was never properly supported in online functionality. It took about 3-4 years for them to allow a PS1 games to be downloaded directly to a wi-fi enabled device, WTF!? Then there was the lack of the second analog stick as well(a mistake Nintendo is now dealing with, as the market is now DEMANDING it). Don't get me started on their online game prices and release dates VS retail pricing, and release dates(PSP GO anyone?).

Hell, in recent interviews for the Vita, some top execs have come out and said once the PS3 begin developement, that they pretty much threw the PSP under the bus in favor of PS3's future by asking developers and their own in house programmers to work on the PS3 instead. They just figured what ever happens, happens I guess? It really seems like they are now leaving NOTHING to chance for the Vita.

Sony blamed piracy for their lack of success with the PSP, but I personally don't see it. Nintendo has had some of video games greatest success stories, and their systems have always had to deal with piracy. The DS had flash cards around as long as the PSP had custom firmware, and it was a whole lot easier to do it on a DS, than a PSP. I just put custom firmware on mine last year, as it always seemed like a pain in the arse to do, and to my utter suprise, it was a pain in the arse. :lol:

As far as the PS3 goes, it is a wonderful system, but the original price was NUTS! There was some smaller complaints, but I feel price was a HUGE downfall to the systems success. If it was released at a lower price, they could have really been in a great position by now, instead of fighting to gain ground with the 360.

I own both systems, and use them on a regular basis, but they have both had uphill climes due to Sony's poor business plans, or lack there of(at least in my opinion).

Chris
I agree with your points about the ps3.Its a nice machine (I own one and a 360 too) the bluray drive and built in hardrive made it too expensive for too long.With the ps2 in my opinion it took too long for any good gamers to come out on it.Over a year or more.It was also very awkward for developers to make games on it due to a really complicated architecture.The same ports on the dreamcast looked and played better.ie dead or alive and more.I think people bought the ps2 in droves because of the massively popular ps1.I noticed that smugglers run on the ps2 sold well at launch.I had this game and it was the only half decent platform exclusive game available at launch.When later there was plenty of good games on the ps2 smugglers run 2 was released.I just knew it was going to bomb and it did.It was a flop and there has never been any more smugglers run games since.The psp games often ended up on the ps2 much later.i think the psp should have kept those games exclusive.I hope the vita games stay exclusive to the system as this gives consumers more reasons to buy a vita.If these games are on the ps3 also then why buy a vita?still im going to buy a vita.

Welcome to the PSP Ambassador Program for PS Vita! :D

Here Is Sony’s UMD Solution for PS Vita Owners

The PS Vita does not use UMDs. Instead, it uses cartridges and digital downloads. The UMD is going extinct, putting current PSP owners in a bind should they want to play their PSP titles on the Vita.

Today, Sony announced its solution: UMD Passport.

Starting Dec. 6, the UMD Passport service will start in Japan. Here's how it works: Download a free app called "UMD Registration Application". After that, enter your UMD game disc into your PSP, and according to the on-screen prompts, register your UMD via your PSN Account. The UMD will then be available for purchase.

Once the PS Vita is released in Japan on Dec. 17, you can then download the title on your new Sony handheld. According to Sony, the games will be available at an "agreeable price".

Currently, 40 game companies are offering 200 UMD titles as part of Sony's UMD Passport program. The digital versions of the games are priced anywhere between ¥100 (US$1.29) to ¥2,400 ($31).

Here is a selection of titles to give you an idea of how much the downloads cost on UMD Passort: Patapon 3 (¥1,000 or $13), Gran Turismo (¥1,000 or $13), Hot Shots Golf Portable 2 PSP the Best (¥500 or $6.40), Colin McRae: DiRT 2 (¥1,000 or $13), Dynasty Warriors: PSP the Best (¥500 or $6.40), Persona 3 Portable: PSP the Best (¥1,500 or $19), and Guilty Gear: Judgment (¥500 or $6.40).

This is not a full list of titles, and other companies, such as Konami and Capcom, are participating. Expect pricing and titles at a later date. Obviously, Sony did not disclose U.S. pricing, but one could assume that games priced at, for example, ¥500 would be priced at $5 in the U.S.

As mentioned above, the PlayStation Vita goes on sale in Japan on Dec. 17. It launches in North America and in Europe next year on Feb. 22.

http://kotaku.com/5858586/here-is-sonys-umd-solution-for-ps-vita-owners

@SONY

How do you feel about having to pay for games you already own?. Sound fair?

Surely everyone will just wait until its hacked and then upload the roms for the games they own and bypass having to re-pay for them.

Having to repay for games you own should be illegal, this really bugs me.

Last edited by a moderator:
not really because those games can only be activated ONCE, anyway sony do not lose out because they already got there money for the original sale of the UMD's the only people that may lose out in that situation is blockbuster as they cant then claim the FOC downlaod.

and they get happier customers meaning people will use there psvita more and will prob buy more games as as result.

thats the internal game code, each game though should have a unique serial number somewhere to disdiguish it from another copy.

not if sony sends out jiffy bags (on request) with FREEPOST returns on them :)

kind of like how www.musicmagpie.co.uk works (though that is for music and they give you money for that).

easy as 1,2,3 :) sony never think of what will benefit the consumer, they only think what will benefit them, but to keep your customers coming back you need to do things that makes them think you are a good company.

Back