Sony Psp To Play Retro Games

R

RedBaron

Is any body using a Sony PSP to play retro games
How good or bad is it

You have to hack it to install retro games, the screen is not that great (480 x 272 is not ideal plus there is ghosting), and you are stuck with Sony's memstick which is much more expensive than other memory cards.

cbox said:
You have to hack it to install retro games, the screen is not that great (480 x 272 is not ideal plus there is ghosting), and you are stuck with Sony's memstick which is much more expensive than other memory cards.
How do the retro games run,good bad

Last edited by a moderator:
My son plays lots of SNES games on his Pandora battery modified PSP, despite owning the proper system and hundreds of games. It's perfect for/to him as it means he can play them wherever he is (even in the house). It also allows him to play hacked games that were never commercially available in this country and in English (like Mother3).

I suppose how good it is to you would depend on how much of a perfectionist you are for emulation. It's certainly very good, but not absolutely perfect.

RedBaron said:
Is any body using a Sony PSP to play retro games
How good or bad is it
It's okay, and it should be pretty easy to re-sell a modded PSP.
Edit: One week from now.

It mostly works, GBA is brill on it :).
The screen kills it for me though. I don't like seeing Mario's hat taking up half of the screen when I play. Ghosting is bad.

Username said:
Edit: One week from now.
bahahahah :D

cbox said:
..and you are stuck with Sony's memstick which is much more expensive than other memory cards.

You can use a MicroDuo-microSD adaptor anytime. It costs less then 2$. I use 2 of them ( `cause 2 PSP ) together with 4 microSD cards ( 16GB each )! Nobody use the Sony original crap :D
The emulators runs good but Wiz and GP2X is better. Take a look at the hacks and exploits. They´re very interesting !

cbox said:
There are mods and cheap adaptors to use SD. Even a nice adaptor that fits two microSD (which it basically combines into one big card) and fits right in the MS slot just fine.

I don't find the screen is a big problem, especially since most retro consoles didn't hit that resolution. (Even N64 games were often 320x240.) However, the emulators themselves aren't great. They tend to be buggy and unusually slow. (Notable exception: gpSP absolutely rocks.)

Back