Is It A Good Thing Or Bad Thing?

C

codeninja

[disclaimer] First of all, I'm not trying to insult your sacred device/company, so buzz off if you're one of those overly sensitive types. This thread is not about anti-anything nor pro-anything. I DO NOT HAVE AN AGENDA, I just want some discussions. Sheesh.

One of my favorite sites, Kotaku.com posted interesting thing that I'd like to share.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/psp-grea...ames-151348.php

"Here’s a piece pointing out good news that might potentially be bad news: There are now 330 films available or coming soon for the Sony PSP, versus 100 games. Also, as of Aug. 31, Sony had sold 9 million PSP games and 8 million UMD movies, according to Home Media Retailing.com. So it seems Sony’s portable game playing device is being consumed primarily as a movie player."

Is it good news since they wanted PSP to be MORE than a game machine? Or, bad news because that's the indication that they're sending confusing message to customers?

I honestly don't think sony cares where money comes from as long as it comes in.

I guess they've successfully pumped yet another proprietary media format--we can expect players for our TV soon. I'll set it on top of my betamax.

It's good news for Sony's attempt to push the UMD format but what they want is for it to become the next DVD for portable players and as seen with MiniDisc beaing destroyed by MP3 the Harddrive will ALWAYS beat non-rewritable media for the mainstream.

But I wouldnt worry about the fact that there are more movies because it's just simply easier to plop a movie on a UMD than to create a brand new video game.

Think about it. The PS2 has what? 500 games on DVD but it has roughly 50,000 MOVIES just because it's also a DVD player.

i think the reason for the difference in available titles is that, the movie is already being made regardless, and releasing it in another format is relatively painless, whereas the game must be made from zero. also, with the psp being a relatively new system - just because lots of movies are being released doesn't mean they're going to be bought.

Back