My Pandora Preview

Great review, really good english as well. Thank you mate for taking the time to post.

Also, once again, thank you MWeston, Ed, Craig for pulling this off. Looks like you're almost home and can get some sleep/spend time in bed with your missus etc ;) HOWEVER....

...When are you shipping mine? I want's it, it's my precious!

BTW started work on a secret SDL project today that I hope will make the Pandora even more fun for you all.... (no, it's not a Pandora virus!)

Nice to have a preview, thank you. It's really nice of EvilDragon and Craigix to invite people round like that.

I wasn't sure what you were saying about the hinge, I think it was well intentioned, trying to be defensive. I think what you're saying is that the hinge in its in between state is not rock solid and with motion will slip, that's fine, as it'll only be on a desk, or if I'm playing it, it'll be in the extended position.

Edit: On another point, I think the XFCE interface looks really good, also I'm encouraged by your reports on its speed.

Dead1nside said:
I wasn't sure what you were saying about the hinge, I think it was well intentioned, trying to be defensive. I think what you're saying is that the hinge in its in between state is not rock solid and with motion will slip, that's fine, as it'll only be on a desk, or if I'm playing it, it'll be in the extended position.

I think that was he meant about the hinge is illustrated at 2:53 in Craig's first MP video from december 15, 2009 :ph34r:

Edit: added the quote

Last edited by a moderator:
Balzac2m, thanks for giving us your personal review and thanks to you I think all the little fears about the final build should be dispelled. It really does look to be a very well made product and I can't wait (and don't mind waiting anymore) for my own in Jan/Feb :)

PS I'm glad Putin is also a big fan of the Pandora :p

TiKub said:
Dead1nside said:

I think that was he meant about the hinge is illustrated at 2:53 in Craig's first MP video from december 15, 2009 :ph34r:

Thanks, I didn't notice that when I watched it the first time around. It does look a little concerning but I've got confidence in the developers that they wouldn't have done anything to fundamentally ruin the experience, or limit its uses. Although I don't see why it couldn't have been firm in any position like on my Thinkpad, apart from complication and expense -- I bet it's fine.

Dead1nside said:
TiKub said:
Dead1nside said:

Thanks, I didn't notice that when I watched it the first time around. It does look a little concerning but I've got confidence in the developers that they wouldn't have done anything to fundamentally ruin the experience, or limit its uses. Although I don't see why it couldn't have been firm in any position like on my Thinkpad, apart from complication and expense -- I bet it's fine.

When you get it, you'll laugh at the things you fussed over :)

Thanks for the report, Balzac2m. And thanks for letting him in your house, EvilDragon :D

Edit: Somebody kill me for not using the search function. I'm a massive hypocrite.

The hinge is not THAT sturdy that you can use the pandora when the lid isn't snapped to the final position
This is absolutely ok. The hinge on my Zaurus has the same behaviour.

Just for clarification - are you saying that despite the hardware being delayed over a year - the software for the emulators still don't support the use of a d-pad?

I find that mildly disappointing... so even if they'd shipped the first 1000 before Christmas we wouldn't really be able to use them to actually play emulated games?

Good job mate, you have definitely made a lot of people happy with your review.

Very well written and funny too. I couldn't have done better and I'm English! :lol:

Now.....wheres that green light???!?!?!

Balzac2m said:
Today I am invited to a birthday party in berlin,

hope you had a good time!

Balzac2m said:
Headphone-Out:
Sounds very nice. I just had my Koss Porta Pro to check, but I was satisfied. I put it up to full power and it was too loud for me. Guess that should be enough ;)

Porta Pro rocks... nothing beats those things for that pricepoint and they sound good.

Balzac2m said:
edit: Oh yeah, vapourscreamers: Suck it. The pandora is reality.

+1

MooTheKow said:
Just for clarification - are you saying that despite the hardware being delayed over a year - the software for the emulators still don't support the use of a d-pad?

I find that mildly disappointing... so even if they'd shipped the first 1000 before Christmas we wouldn't really be able to use them to actually play emulated games?
It's just that emulators built many months ago don't run properly in the latest file system. They need to be rebuilt with the latest SDL and it's happening now with some apps but not all of them as some were just test programs from a long time ago. The version of PicoDrive I have that works perfectly with the dpad is dated Jan 28, 2009. If ED had more time he could have made up a memory card with an older kernel/filesystem and the old apps would have played fine.

P.S. Nice (p)review Balzac2m! I'm glad you liked it. :)

MooTheKow said:

Obviously not - you have seen me play on loads of them, Eds firmware when he turned up to see the Pandora just didn't have the set up to use emulators. This is because Eds Pandora is being used as a testing unit for the latest firmware with desktop applications being the top priority.

My unit is for emulator testing.

craigix said:
MooTheKow said:

Obviously not - you have seen me play on loads of them, Eds firmware when he turned up to see the Pandora just didn't have the set up to use emulators. This is because Eds Pandora is being used as a testing unit for the latest firmware with desktop applications being the top priority.

My unit is for emulator testing.

Ok - thank you for the clarification . I was kind of confused as I thought I'd read or seen it working. Was going to be all bummed if I was going to get a pandora and not be able use it the way I wanted for a while :).

Balzac2m said:
MDave said:
Nice preview! If you want your post to be reviewed and fixed for any English mistakes you made, I can do that for you. ;)

That would be nice. You welsh actually speak english? ;)

edit: Actually, just do it if you have fun doing it. I'm just interested in my errors, the rest can live with them!

Hah, I can't speak any welsh, even though I have lived here for most of my life :D I'm close to the border to England, so where I am there isn't that many here that speak welsh as their first language ;)

Looks like I won't be able to proof read your post I'm afraid, got a load of work coming through at the moment :( Maybe someone else can have a crack at it. I think it's fine and understandable though :)

Back