My Pandora Preview

Have the latest cases arrived yet guys, or are we waiting till tomorrow?

EDIT: Scratch that, I'm sure there would have been a post somewhere. Looked and cant find one.

jonlad1 said:
Have the latest cases arrived yet guys, or are we waiting till tomorrow?

I would say monday or tuesday! Maybe even later in the week. They said they where on the way, early last week, but it didn't seem like it was "fact", seemed more like a guess. All express mail I have ever gotten from China, never takes more than 2 days(coming to the US), unless customs holds something up! So if they shipped out tuesday, they should have arrive by the weekend(at the latest). So I would say they didn't ship out when it was alluded to. A slower shipping method could have been used, but I wouldn't risk sending such rare cargo by some economy option. But that is just my 2 cents!

Jumpman

Last edited by a moderator:
speaking of different firmware/os builds etc for the pandora, how will updates for it be handled? will there perhaps be something on the pandora where we can click "update" and if we're online with it, it will update, or what?

Updates via packages (patches) though likely we'll build an auto checker to report updates. But should be trivial now.. A link in the browser would be all that's needed by default

jeff

Paradox said:
speaking of different firmware/os builds etc for the pandora, how will updates for it be handled? will there perhaps be something on the pandora where we can click "update" and if we're online with it, it will update, or what?
1. Install Neuvoo
2. emerge --sync
3. emerge -NuDa world

skeezix said:
Updates via packages (patches) though likely we'll build an auto checker to report updates. But should be trivial now.. A link in the browser would be all that's needed by default

jeff

A link to OpenHandhelds, perhaps?

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi

The Pandora is shaping up so damn F*&KING NICELY!

Shit, after seeing the vids, and the newest OS Snippets and with this hands on review.. Shit! Its getting to the point of being the PERFECT CONSOLE!

("getting to" was only said because I would like to see N64 running at FullSpeed, but a RARE game (GE/PD/Conkers).

BackAssward said:
Unfortunately for us over here, the closest is MWeston, and that's still ~2,000 km from me, and I don't know if he wants drop-ins. I suspect I'd get my Pandora before I could even make it to him, were he accepting loafers off the street to stop by (not that I think he should, he's way to busy).
C'mon, it's only a 28 hour drive. I could do that in my sleep :ph34r:
We could carpool! :p I'm sure he wouldn't mind if we bought him a couple rounds of drinks :D

Word on the controls sounds very reassuring. If this is as good as it sounds then we could be looking at some of the best controls on a handheld to date. Everyone keep your fingers crossed.

Definitely going to be a major thing that separates it from all the other mobile devices with this level of hardware, for every time someone brings them up.

skeezix said:

jeff

Can I do this manually or do I need to have the Pandora connected to the internet?

edit:
Might just as well... as you may have already heard, fellow metalab hacker Florian Hufsky / no_skill / oneup took his life. As a member of entropia, karlsruhe's division of the chaos computer club, I salute him and wish all those people who were near him the best.
condolence blog:
http://florianhufsky.soup.io/

i knew florian and was very happy that pretty much every time i saw him, was able to discuss the progress of the pandora project. he had a wiz, was fed up with waiting for the pandora, but i'm sure he'd be really laughing at your great first-fanboix-in-a-pandora-box picture, no question about it ..

Balzac2m said:
Headphone-Out:
Sounds very nice. I just had my Koss Porta Pro to check, but I was satisfied. I put it up to full power and it was too loud for me. Guess that should be enough ;)

Those Koss Portapro have an impedance of 60ohm. If the specs of the Pandora haven't changed, it can output 150mW into a 16ohm load (~75mW into 32ohm, etc). If you thought the sound was too loud, then you are giving us good news :p 150ohm headphones will sound good, 300ohm headphones will probably sound ok too.. for a portable device. I just imagine plugging some ipod earphones (32ohm), turning the volume wheel 1/3 and stop because the sound is already too loud xD

ashdjones said:
Can I do this manually or do I need to have the Pandora connected to the internet?

I'm sure the latest firmware/OS will always be available to download and install manually.

I really want my Pandora! It looks amazing!

About the speakers...I wonder if that are at least as good as the DS? If so, I'll be satisified...

zazen666 said:
About the speakers...I wonder if that are at least as good as the DS? If so, I'll be satisified...

You're not by any chance the legendary zatzen from cologne?
I didn't have a direct comparison (should have asked though) but iirc, the speakers are at least as good. I always used headphones when playing DS.

Gruso said:
Great writeup! :) I will copy/paste it to THE INTERNET this evening.

Okay cool. You're welcome to use the picture if you want to have a face like that on the blog. Thanks for the great work, dude.

Balzac2m said:
Gruso said:
Great writeup! :) I will copy/paste it to THE INTERNET this evening.
Okay cool. You're welcome to use the picture if you want to have a face like that on the blog. Thanks for the great work, dude.
I decided to go with the funny pic that Rathum made in Craig's MP Pandora thread. Please note that is not intended to be a representation of you. :D

Back